Quick Chicken Corn Chowder & Chicken Quesadillas

Sunday I decided to make lunch using what I could find in the pantry and the freezer. I had de-boned a whole smoked cooked chicken that Hubby Tom had cooked on the Traeger smoker and frozen the meat. So with that in mind I was good to go with this easy soup recipe I found on the Cooking Light web site.

To make the soup a little heartier I decided to add some cooked diced potato to it. Since I didn’t have any leftover potatoes I just diced up two small russets leaving the skin on and cooked them in the microwave for about 4 minutes and then added them to the soup.

The addition of a can of creamed corn helps thicken up this soup and the jalapeno adds just the right amount of heat and pairs surprisingly well with dried thyme. You have to try it! This is a bowl of delicious comfort food, hearty with a little heat — perfect for a Fall day.

Since there was plenty of shredded chicken left over, quesadillas seemed like a good way to make use of it. I used flour tortillas and regular full fat cheese for the family. You should have seen their happy faces. :)

Mine was made using a whole grain Lavash flat bread and low fat cheese – I just can’t use fat free cheese. It worked beautifully and came out nice and crisp after just a few minutes on each side in a hot non-stick skillet.

Quick Chicken Corn Chowder

• 2 tablespoons olive oil (instead of butter to cut back on the cholesterol)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1 jalapeño pepper — seeded and minced –or to taste– (I used half as it was a hot one!)
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups 1% low-fat milk (instead of 2%)
  • 2 cups cooked chicken*
  • 2 cups potato — diced, cooked** (my addition)
  • 1 1/2 cups corn -canned,frozen or fresh
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
  • 1  can (14-15 0z) creamed corn

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and jalapeño; cook for 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in milk and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook until thick, about 5 minutes.

Servings: 6    Serving Size: Approx 1 1/3 cups

Per Serving: 296 Calories; 9g Fat (26.1% calories from fat); 22g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 45mg Cholesterol; 370mg Sodium. WWPP 8

* You can use a deli chicken from the grocery store or some left over grilled or poached chicken. I usually double up when cooking chicken and freeze the extra just for recipes like this!

**Since I didn’t have any leftover potatoes I just diced up two small russets leaving the skin on and cooked them in the microwave covered for about 4 minutes and then added them to the soup.

Recipe Adapted From a Cooking Light Recipe  from December 2001

I think I could eat soup and sandwiches just about everyday for lunch. There is something comforting about a  hot bowl  or cup of soup and I have found that for me it fills me up fast and keeps me feeling full for a long time. I wonder if it has to do with it being hot or the volume of it?

A cup of hot tea also seems to have the same affect for me. It fills me up and keeps me from munching. One of my tricks to avoid a fattening dessert when eating out is to order a cup of hot tea or decaf coffee after dinner. It keeps me satisfied and gives me something to enjoy while others are having dessert if I have chosen not to.

These are my two new favorite teas. The Lemon Ginger tea is suppose to help with digestion and stress. I don’t know if it does that but it does taste good. The Tazo Passion tea is a gorgeous red color and naturally sweet all on it’s own. It’s delicious hot or iced. You may have had it Starbucks as an ice tea -oh so yummy!

Both are caffeine free and contain negligible calories. You gotta love that! I have a small collection of tea cups and tea pots. Every little girl likes to play” tea party” and I guess I never out grew it! Here are a few of my favorites.

Enjoy a “cuppa” tea!

Are you a coffee or tea drinker, what is your favorite brand of either?

Do you collect anything?

I drink coffee in the morning and it has to be slow brewed Starbucks Columbia with a little NuNaturals stevia and FF creamer. It starts my day off right! :)

I don’t collect anything. It would be easier for people to think of gift ideas for me if I did:) I started drinking tea last year. Always decaf. My favorites are all flavored. I like a lot of the Republic of Tea brand.

Before I forget, is there a way to subscribe to your blog by email?

I LOVE cream corn & ate it a lot as a kid but my tummy just can’t handle corn anymore. :-( It all looks delish!

As a kid, we used to have soup for lunch & dinner a lot – people always thought it was weird & just a breakfast thing…

I am not a tea fan & like my flavored coffee! I just found a coconut flavor the Mothers started selling! Had not found that flavor since years ago in Hawaii! – YUM!

I love your tea cup collection! I like tea, too. It’s a nice ritual in the afternoon and has replaced my not so healthy excessive coffee habit… I haven’t tried either of your favorite teas. I’ll have to try them!

4. Lori says:

That chowder looks yummy! That is one of my favorite kinds, too :D

I am a big coffee drinker. I actually roast my own because I am a snob LOL!

5. Amanda says:

I love Tazo’s Passion tea! What’s really cool is when you pour the boiling water over the tea bag it has kind of a purple “poof” at first, and then the water starts turning red… it’s gorgeous.

6. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

I just love all kinds of tea and coffee. I try to do decaf, but I will have a cup of caffeinated teas or coffee in the morning! I got a wonderful tea for my birthday, but can’t remember the flavor. It was from Tevana.

7. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

The chowder looks wonderful! I love dried thyme in soups! and I totally would have added the potatoes too…because I don’t think it’s a chowder without them!

Believe it or not, I also collect tea pots! But I collect the whimsical kind, not the pretty ones like you! I am a coffee drinker by day, but in the evening, I like to have a warm cup of tea with some of those vanilla stevia drops! Currently, I am into oolong tea. Very good for you! I also enjoy a mixture of loose chai tea from Teavana I got a s a gift.

Renee we have so many thing in common! Please a post a photo of your collection on your blog sometime won’t you?
      Chai tea is so good when the weather is cooler and you need a little something warm. I too like a cup of hot tea in the evening, it helps me slow down and get ready to relax.

I am an all day coffee drinker, but I do switch to decaf in the afternoon. I do enjoy a cup of hot tea sometimes during the winter.

My favorite brand of coffee is New England Coffee Company. I discovered it a few years ago and although some grocery stores in the east carry it, I usually stay stocked up by ordering online. It gives access to a much larger selection.

9. Marsial2010 says:

Tami, I love your pretty teacups and saucers. My mother had 8 of those and when she gave up her house in 1989 she split up her possessions among we four children. I got the teacups. Several years later, my 3-years older than me brother was wistfully recalling those teacups and wondering what she did with them. So, for a surprise, I gave him 4 of them. Last year, his middle child wistfully recalled Grandma’s teacups. I told her to ask her Dad to leave her the 4 I gave him, and that I would send her the other 4. She was thrilled. And I am ashamed to admit that I haven’t sent them to her yet. But now I feel reminded by your photo and will get them off to her. Thanks.

I used to have a huge elephant collection — none of which I wanted — someone gave me an elephant when I was 16, and for the next 15 years it somehow snowballed into a collection of a couple of hundred. I got rid of most of them but still have about 30 of the nicest ones. I wish one of my nieces or nephews collected elephants — I would happily pack most of them off — in my usual terribly slow way of mailing things, of course.

I’ll definitely try your tea selections. The only odd one I have right now is a licorice spice tea from Stash. I love licorice but no longer eat it, so this no-calorie anise-sweet tea really does make me feel like I’m eating candy.

Marsial you are so sweet to share your mother’s tea cup collection with your brother and his daughter. I’ts funny how your elephant collection snow balled into a couple hundred! Where does one store that many? I stopped collecting tea cups and tea pots as I can only display so many.

I hope you can get things together to box them up and get them sent off to your niece soon. I bet she would be delighted to receive them!

Anise sweet tea sounds lovely, I too am fond of that flavor but I am not a black licorice fan. Strange?

Hope you are having a splendid weekend!

Your food looks delicious! Love corn chowder!

Coffee drinker here…for years used a brand called Nabob but now I use Tim Horton’s brand. Makes really good coffee!Never drink tea but do have quite a few china tea cups.

I collected elephants at one time and have a beautiful table top white one in the living room.

Carol I have never heard of those brands of coffee! You are the second person to say then collected elephants at one time. How fun!

11. Robin says:

Love your tea cup collection!! I hafta have coffee in the morning, and tea in the afternoon!! coffee gets me going and tea keeps me going!!

12. Carla says:

I am a tea drinker, and I love your suggestion of having tea after a meal when you don’t want dessert, but want something to savor after a meal. I am going to do this at our next dessert filled family gathering!

13. Ellen says:

I am a HUGE tea drinker, although I drink mine now with just a touch of half and half and Torani syrup (curse you, Starbucks for creating your tea lattes!!) You have a beautiful collection of teacups.