What did you do this Summer?

I remember that so many of my teachers would start out the year by having us write an essay based on this question,“What did you do over the summer?” My summer adventures usually included, camping, vacations, staying with my Grandparents, bike riding, swimming, babysitting, sleep overs, and playing board games.

On the first day of school I always had “butterflies” in my tummy! I was just sure I was going to be sick. I’m not sure what I was afraid of because I liked school, got good grades and always had plenty of friends. To this day when I am faced with doing something new I still get those butterflies in my tummy.

Looking back at this past Summer I am reminded of how busy we were. No wonder the time flew by so fast! Since this is a “food” blog I have to include a view of our favorite eats!

I kicked off the Summer with the Small Change Challenge.  Many of you joined me and we made some positive healthy changes in our exercise programs and our food plans.

I made the best “light” cheesecake ever with an amazing Strawberry rhubarb sauce. Sinfully delicious!

Participated in the Open Nature Longest Picnic Table Event for the Guinness Book Of World Records. This was a fun day spent in San Fracisco with Hubby Tom.

Tried making Indian food for the first time with this Chicken Biryani recipe. Total Success!

Katy said these Asian Style Turkey Burgers were the best turkey burgers I have ever made. That is high praise from a tough “food critic.”

The Cuisinart Ice Cream maker was humming as I tried a few new recipes for frozen treats that were sure to please. It all began with this Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream. That was  so delightful that I had to try my hand at making  Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt.

To work off all the calories from those tasty frozen treats we took to the trails and enjoyed amazing hikes. The Lands End Trail in San Francisco, Muir Woods, Mt Tam, and closer to home Hidden Falls Trail. One of my favorite places to visit Lake Tahoe!

I almost forgot about the house painting and bathroom remodeling. I had a work crew in the house and outside for a week. I baked treats for the workers every day in order to channel my nervous energy! I didn’t think I would ever get all of the construction dust cleaned up, but eventually I did.

Oral surgery in July slowed me down for a while and I discovered how to eat my meals through a straw and explored the adventures of soft foods. Jan from Writing to Wellness shared her high protein shake with me and it soon became a main meal for me as I took life one sip at a time.

Hubby Tom fired up the BBQ and his new Traeger Smoker so we could enjoy fabulous food without heating up the kitchen. We had smoked chickens, ribs, kabobs, Tandoori chicken and a variety of burgers.

There were some incredible blog giveaways this past summer. Some of you enjoyed winning grocery gift cards, Nu Naturals Stevia products, Cookbooks and the 20 Years Younger book.

As Summer comes to a close I have to say that although I enjoyed our Summer adventures, I am looking forward to the cooler temperatures of Fall. We are still having hot weather in the 90′s here. Soon it will cool off and I am thinking about all of my favorite Fall foods. Chili, beef stew, all kinds of homemade soup, butternut squash, apples, cranberries, hot oatmeal, hot tea and piping hot roasts out of the oven – yum!

I also look forward to going for hikes and bike rides in cooler weather. Crisp morning air that requires wearing a jacket for my walks. Sitting on our patio in the evening with the patio heater on to keep us warm while sipping on hot tea. The change in seasons are always something to look forward to.

Be heatlhy,

Add Your Thoguhts

What were your Summer highlights?

Do you have a favorite season?

What do  you like most about Fall?

Spring and Fall are my favorites. I’m a fair weather gal, don’t like it too hot or too cold!

1. Jan says:

What a great post! I would steal the idea but my summer was spent healing up from surgery – but I know that you know from all of your incredibly supportive comments.

Fall in Southern Arizona is still a dream and more than a month away. Summer was my favorite season until I moved here! Now, like most “natives” I cherish the weeks when the weather is delightful but the snow birds haven’t arrived yet to make the town even more crowded than it is with almost 40,000 college students.

Your photos are so beautifully done, Tami. I used to love fall the most. But I have bad hayfever so that sometimes makes me not so happy this time of year. My summer highlight had to be taking my youngest to college.

You would definitely get an A+ on your Summer essay, Tami!

I can’t remember my first day of school, but I sure remember my last day! That was sweet :-)

You had one awesome summer!

Mine was nice…a few trips, some good memories. Of course, it’s not over here in the South. :)

Summer is my season and right now we’re having cool, damp fall-like weather so I’ve been feeling a bit melancholy.

I don’t know why but this summer seemed to go by way too fast for my taste. I never seemed to get around to doing all the things I wanted to do and I definitely never got enough beach time!

You had some great fun & amazing times!!! LOVE THE PICS!!!!!

Me, I love fall but in southern CA, it is not like back east or even up north. Such a beautiful season!

Not much in the “happs” here BUT my middle stepdaughter who recently moved back to Idaho was here with 4 of the grandkids so we got to have fun with them & the youngest stepdaughter & her hubby PLUS the oldest & the grandkids visited from Idaho so family fun!

Looks like you had a wonderful summer Tami – loved seeing the recap! Fall is my favorite season – don’t be jealous but right now it’s 7:15 in the morning and it’s 50 degrees :D

8. Ann says:

I just love this post. Wow you did have a lot going on, didn’t you? I spent a lot of time busy with kids as usual. Of course we had our big trip to South Dakota and Nebraska. But mostly I’m proud that I’ve stayed on track with my exercise and I got my blue belt.

9. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

What a lovely recap of your summer!

I will miss summer. Fall is ok…it has it’s perks, like apples, pears and all the fall harvest foods and long cooking comfort foods like stews and roasts! But summer is my favorite…by far! Winter is so harsh here in the great lakes region of the country…I like to get as much summer as possible! :)

Great recap! You certainly had a very tasty summer. And I love the hiking and Tahoe pics!

Summer is my favorite season as we work less and play more! :) But I also like fall, and I’m looking forward to soups, stews, many things pumpkin, the toddler’s birthday (won’t be a toddler much longer!), Halloween…

11. marsial2010 says:

Tami, you can come to my house and cook for me any time you want — your food looks delicious.

My summer highlights were….what summer? Sadly, I missed most of the summer. I remember our storm and being without power for five days, and part of our fence falling down, and being sick a lot. I did go to Lake Tahoe — which was gorgeous as usual, but we didn’t even make it down to Chicago due to the high temps and humidity.

Hoping Fall will be better.