A Little of This & A Little of That

Today’s post is a potpourri of goodies that I have to share. While shopping at Sam’s club earlier this week I spotted a fruit that I had never seen before. Of course curiosity got the best of me and I couldn’t wait to get home and try these little gems.

They taste just like a kiwi with out the brown skin. The softer the fruit the sweeter the taste. Just rinse and pop them in your mouth. Fun and refreshing. :) The growing season in Oregon is three short months, September, October & November. I wish they were available all year long as they would be awesome in a fruit salad.

They are a low calorie snack!

So many of  you have left me comments letting me know that the Sausage Cheese Egg Muffins have been a big hit at your house. Many husbands around the country have been enjoying these for breakfast! I have made 4 batches of these since I posted about them. Yesterday I realized that the family had devoured the last batch I made. I set about mixing up some more and realized I didn’t have any more sausage crumbles. I did have a nice piece of uncured ham (about 6-7 ounces) so it was diced up and tossed in. It didn’t take up as much volume as the sausage does, so in went another 1/4 cup of Heart Smart Bisquick. They puffed up nicely and Katy and David enjoyed having them hot out of the oven. After experimenting with different proportions I like using half eggs and half egg beaters the best. Remember that the recipe I posted lends itself to many different variations. Katy wants me to try a batch with some shredded potatoes added – that would be delicious! Sorry for the dark photo but there was no natural light at 5:30 AM!

We have memberships at both Sam’s Club and Costco. They carry different products and I have favorites that can only be purchased at each one. Hubby Tom calls them the $200 stores! When I saw the electric heated throw blankets at Costco I knew Katy and I each had to have one so I took her there the other day to select her color. They are soft, cozy and have three adjustable heat settings and an auto 3 hour shut off. Perfect for TV watching this Winter!

So many new people have left comments lately and I am thrilled to know you are reading my blog and finding the recipes and product reviews helpful. Thank you for your support!

There have been some suggestions for future posts as well and I love getting that kind of feedback. One request is for ideas on packing lunches. I am working on that one and hope to post it next week. Another is how to eat healthy without breaking the bank. I have a few ideas to share and I would like to spend less money on food too!

Please feel free to email me or leave a request in the comment section if  there is something you would like me to post about or feel free to ask me a question.

We might be cooking a turkey this weekend. I know it’s not Thanksgiving yet but we are hosting this year. Hubby Tom wants to make a turkey on his new Traeger grill/smoker and he thought it would be a good idea to test it first to see just how long it really takes. Not a bad idea. It’s frustrating when the whole meal doesn’t get done at the same time! Today I have to go see if I can find a turkey. I can always freeze the leftover turkey meat and use it in a variety of ways later.

Edited to add that I had a great on plan day yesterday! I didn’t get the exercise ball or weight work out done but I accomplished everything else so I consider it a successful day. My sciatica feels better if I don’t sit at the computer for very long so I am spending less time  working on the blog, reading other blogs and leaving comments. You gotta do what you gotta do to feel better!

Enjoy your weekend!

Do you like turkey?

Do  you have any questions, recipe requests or topics you would like to see on Nutmeg Notebook?

My sister gave me a heated throw years ago for Christmas, and it was one of those gifts for which I had to muster up a polite smile as it didn’t seem like something I would use. A few weeks later, on a dismal winter afternoon, I wanted to take a nap and decided to try out the heated throw. THREE hours later I woke up in the exact position in which I’d fallen asleep. My throw and I were best buds after that. :)

I’ll keep a lookout for the kiwi berries! I haven’t seen those locally!

Wishing you a great weekend, Tami! Keep taking care of that sciatica!

2. Kiri W. says:

Those kiwiberries look so cool! I’ve never had them, I’d love to try!

3. Jan says:

Those kiwi berries look wonderful. Hope there are some lurking in one of the better produce markets here.

One day of eating on plan leads to many more! When back would bug me, and I had to work long hours on the computer writing, I set a timer to remind myself to get up and move every 20 minutes or so.

Last year when we hosted the entire family for Thanksgiving, many pre-test meal components (including a brined turkey) were constructed the weeks before. Fortunately I do like turkey.

Jan setting a timer is a great idea! Thank you for that advice, that will be very helpful.
      Good to know we aren’t the only ones who feel the need to “practice” a big meal ahead of time.

4. Ann says:

I love turkey! I was just thinking about cranberries. I love them and since they are in season, maybe some recipes for them? I plan to make some of those muffins this weekend. I’m wondering if you can freeze them? I’ve had those kiwi berries before and I like them much better than regular kiwi.

Thanks for the idea of doing a post about cranberries. I love them too and have some good recipes to share. I think you can freeze the sausage muffins but I haven’t gotten the chance to yet because the family eats them up about as fast as I make them!
      I like the kiww berries better than regular kiwis too!

5. Tish says:

I just this minute finished ordering my silicone mini muffin pans. That turkey sausage egg muffin looks great. If the muffin pans come in time, I’ll be taking them to my Bible study next week. Thank you, as always, for sharing. I’ll be on the lookout for the kiwi berries, too. How cute!

6. Ally's Sweeet & Savory Eats says:

Well these little berries sure would come in handy when I’m sick of peeling kiwi’s! My family would love ‘em!

7. Janine says:

Haven’t ever seen those little kiwi berries, and I thought I’d seen every fruit there was. I’ll be looking for them now, since I love kiwis anyway.
    I’ve read that it takes 10-14 hours to smoke a 20 pound turkey–I know we were invited to a friend’s one year, and we never ended up eating the turkey–it just didn’t get finished for hours and hours.
    So far I’ve enjoyed ALL your recipes. Take care of your back, and I’m really happy to hear you made it through a successful day yesterday.

Hubby is going to cook the turkey on theTraeger but use it like an oven and not smoke this one. The Traeger can be a smoker or it works like an oven -very cool. I could even bake dessert on it!

I thought I had seen most fruits and veggies too since I spend so much time in the produce department but since some items have a short season it would be easy to miss them entirely!

Thanks for the support Janine, I appreciate it.

Those Kiwi’s remind me of Cherry Tomatoes. Should be a good thing! If I see them here,, I’ll certainly try them. Thanks!

9. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

Hi Tami. Too funny, as I’m reading your post, I’m snacking on kiwi berries. Have a wonderful Friday!!

Those little kiwi berries look amazing! YUM!!! You know, all the Sam’s clubs around here closed…. not a one left near me.

I bought an electric blanket for the bed at Costco last year & love it with dual controls so I don’t burn up the hubby when I am cold & don’t freeze him when I have night sweats! ;-)

Glad you are doing better with your bod!

11. Lori says:

I want to try those kiwi berries! What fun? We don’t usually get that kind of produce here in tiny town LOL.

12. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I was planning on having kiwi berries for dessert tonight!

I keep forgetting to pick up bisquick to make those muffins! I am planning on another batch of your pumpkin baked oatmeal though! The last batch never made it to the freezer. :)

those kiwii things look great!

14. Autumn@Good Eats Girl says:

A kiwi berry?!?! Awesome! I have never seen such a thing…I’m jealous!

Those muffins are still on my list of breakfast items to make! I forgot sausage at the store today so they will have to wait until next weekend!!!