Black Beans – Slow Cooker

This was so easy I don’t know why I didn’t try making my own black beans sooner. These slow cooked black beans have way more flavor than any canned beans you buy. It was super easy and economical too! A 1 pound bag of dried beans is just over a $1 and you end up with a crock pot full of beans! They can be put into freezer bags or freezer containers and frozen for future use.

Black Beans – Slow Cooker

• 1 pound dried black beans, rinsed with cold water and any broken beans or pebbles tossed out
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • optional –  1 teaspoon Table Tasty salt substitute or salt of your choice
  • 2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper, minced, optional – ( I didn’t use it this time)
  • 6 1/2 cups water
  • optional one piece of kombu to help make the beans have less gas
  • juice of one lemon or lime

Combine all ingredients except lemon or lime juice in slow cooker, cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours or until beans are tender. Mine took about 4 hours. Add lemon or lime juice and stir. Left over beans can be frozen in freezer bags or freezer safe containers for future use.

Servings Size: 1/2 cup

Per Serving: 135 Calories; 1g Fat (4.1% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 362mg Sodium (According to WW Complete Food Companion 1/2 cup black beans is 2 WWPPs. Using the nutritional information for this recipe the WWPPs calculate to 3 for 1/2 cup.)

Recipe Adapted from Smitten Kitchen and Mom’s Kitchen Handbook

To read more about cooking your own beans see the post where I talked about it here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

2 pings

1. Sue says:

I have heard that soaking the beans first will help and eliminate gas as well. I am not familiar with Kombu so would soaking instead work?

Hi Sue, yes soaking the beans works too!

2. Mary says:

Tami, I cannot believe I am reading one of your posts from years ago! I was searching about how to cook black beans and was guided here!
    I can’t wait to put all the ingredients into my crock pot.
    I am always checking your blog for information….thank you!

Mary I am sorry I never replied to your comment on the beans! How are you doing? Are you still writing? I miss reading your writing. Please check in with me -I would love to chat.

Happy cooking,

1. Mary Cohutt says:

Hi Tami,
        It was nice hearing from you! I retired in September and began writing a blog but got sidetracked by life!! How I admire your dedication to your blog!
        Here is what I began:
        After reading more of your posts today I am inspired to get back to writing.
        I am still (oh so slowly) moving toward a vegan diet. I am taking many detours along the way but that is my goal.
        Your blog is so helpful along the way!
        Take care,
        Mary

Mary I am so excited to check out your blog! I love your writing style. Congratulations on your retirement – funny how busy life is post retirement. It makes you wonder how you were able to get anything done while you worked! I feel so much better on a whole food plant based vegan diet. There are a multitude of blogs and books that you can read. Let me know if you need any recommendations. Also if you can find an active vegan or vegetarian society in your city they hold informational events. We have seen many of the top plant based doctors speak in our area – some of the events are free and others have a nominal fee. There are Veg Fest day long events across the country as well as many plan based seminars cropping up everywhere. I don’t recall what state you live in but do some internet research and see what you can find in your location. It’s a wonderful way to become more educated and we learn something new each time we attend these avents. You don’t need to be an ethical vegan to attend these events. The plant based doctors are not necessarily vegan that is why they have adopted the “whole food plant based diet” title instead of vegan. Their focus is on the science based evidence that supports eating a plant based diet.

I hope to start posting on a more regular basis soon. I had surgery in January and have been recovering from that, our daughter had our first grandchild 3 weeks ago and I have been at her house every day since helping her. Its a wonderful time of life!

Lets stay in touch Mary. Let me know if I can answer any question or help you with your journey.

Blessings,

3. Michelle says:

These are the best black beans ever!!!!! I cook mine in the crockpot on high for about 8 hours; the liquid in the pot comes out thicker. The smell in house when this is cooking is to die for.

I use a package of frozen onions instead of chopping a fresh one to make it easier. I also recently did this recipe in my pressure cooker. I haven’t made it in the crockpot since. Heavenly beans so much quicker.

Thank you SOOOO much for this recipe!! It’s at the top of our favorites; we could eat a pot of these every week for the rest of our lives.

Thank you Michelle – we love them too. Sometimes I make pinto beans instead of black and they are also amazing.

Please share how you make these in your pressure cooker! Do they come out as creamy as these do?

Thank you for letting me know how much you enjoy this recipe – you made my day!

Happy Cooking,

4. Michelle says:

I use bottled chopped jalapeno to make this recipe easier than having to have a fresh pepper on hand and having to dice it up.

When I make these beans in my electric pressure cooker, I cook the pre-soaked beans on high pressure for 6 minutes with a natural pressure release.

I use the same amount of water and ingredients you call for on your recipe. But they don’t end up having a thicker liquid like they do when I cook them in the crock pot for 8 hours.

I’ll bet I could cut at least 1 cup of water from the original recipe when cooking in the pressure cooker.

I’ve also used this recipe for red beans; I eliminate the cumin and lime juice. These are so easy and yummy. We like to dunk bread in the liquid as we eat our bowls of beans.

1. Plant Based Vegan Entertaining – What to serve? » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[…] Black Beans -Slow Cooker recipe is one of the easiest ways to cook beans. Toss all the ingredients into a slow cooker,turn it on […]

2. Chipotle Burrito Bowl » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[…] and cooked until tender. At the end I added a little garlic powder and dried oregano. If you have home cooked beans that’s awesome but this night I did not, so canned beans it was. Rinse and drain them well […]