Mini Turkey Meatloaves with Prosciutto / Making A List

One of my favorite cookbook authors is Pam Anderson. (no -not the Bay watch babe!) I own three of her cookbooks including The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight & Eating Great, which houses my favorite Healthy Granola recipe. How To Cook Without a Book  is where you learn good basic cooking skills and Perfect ONE DISH Dinners is full of easy to cook recipes for entertaining like my favorite Cassoulet Style Italian Sausages and White Beans. Anderson is also a blogger at Three Many Cooks where her daughters join her in sharing their fabulous recipes. They excel at turning out delicious food using high quality ingredients, without spending the entire day in the kitchen. I love that!

Mini meatloaves have been on our menu for years since they cook quickly, have built in portion control and you don’t have to worry about slices falling apart when you go to serve it. Then came the recipe for Cheesy Meat Loaf Minis and I thought nothing could top it. Wrong! Pan Anderson took the mini meat loaf to a new level taking a basic meat loaf recipe that starts with lean ground turkey, traditional saltine cracker crumbs and Greek  yogurt to add moisture and additional protein. Form into individual loaves and bathe each bundle in honey mustard for a touch of sweetness. The crowning touch is to wrap each bundle in a thin slice of prosciutto. Brilliant!

Prosciutto is thinly slice aged pork and the ingredients are all natural – pork and salt.

Prosciutto tastes slightly sweet, salty and delicious.

These would be a perfect recipe for entertaining, easy to double or triple the recipe.

Who knew that turkey meat loaf could be so gourmet?

You have to try this recipe!

Prosciutto-Wrapped Mini Turkey Meatloaves with Honey-Mustard Glaze

• 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion — chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves — minced
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons honey mustard — divided
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/3 pounds lean ground turkey (93/7)
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt fat free
  • 1/2 cup saltine cracker crumbs — (about 10) crushed
  • 3 ounces prosciutto — 6 thin slices

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté until fragrant, about a minute longer; set aside to cool for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, mix egg with thyme, salt, 1 tablespoon of the mustard, and the Worcestershire sauce. Place turkey in a medium bowl; add yogurt, crackers and onion mixture; mix with a fork until evenly blended. Add egg mixture continue to mix until well blended.

Turn meat mixture onto a work surface. With wet hands, divide meat mixture into 6 portions and form into small loaf shapes; brush with remaining mustard, then carefully wrap a slice of prosciutto around each loaf, placing loaves on a  foil-lined rimmed baking sheet that has been sprayed liberally with non stick spray or olive oil from your Misto Oil Sprayer. Bake until golden brown and firm, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes. Serve.

Yield: 6 Servings

Per Serving : 232 Calories; 11g Fat (42.9% calories from fat); 25g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 101mg Cholesterol; 545mg Sodium. WWPP 6

Adapted from Three Many Cooks by Pam Anderson

This recipe was shared on Tastetastic Thursday at A Little Nosh

I’m a list maker, planner, scheduler. I can’t help it, this is one of my personality traits. As soon as I wake up I start thinking about what needs to be done today. Be it household chores, errands, gifts to purchase, sending cards, paying bills or making a grocery list, it gets written down. Having a list on paper frees my mind from constantly trying to keep track of it all. There is such a sense of accomplishment when I get to cross each item off once the task is complete. There is a pen and pad of paper on my night stand as well so if I think of something as I am going to bed I can jot it down and not worry that it will be forgotten by morning.

When I apply this same concept to my weight and exercise management I also see an improvement in my performance. Since we got back from our trip to Nebraska in August I have not been doing a very good job in this area. Dealing with my mother in law passing away, enduring two oral surgeries and dealing with the pain of sciatica has derailed my regular routine. I have had a difficult time getting back into the swing of things.

A combination of too much food for comfort, not enough sleep and too little exercise has led to a 10 pound weight gain! I know this is temporary and I have all the tools needed to turn this around and get back to my happy weight. It starts by making a plan. This means writing down each day what I intend to do. Being intentional brings results.

Today’s Getting back to my happy weight list:

• Eat a high protein breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up (Premeir Protein Shake)
  • Walking 3 miles
  • Drinking 6 – 8 glasses of water today
  • Eating a mid morning snack of fruit and protein
  • Spending less time on the computer and more time moving!
  • Eating a healthy lunch with plenty of vegetables and lean protein
  • Working out with hand weights
  • Back and leg exercises using the exercise ball
  • Eating an afternoon snack of raw almonds and fruit
  • Listening to a guided meditation cd for relaxing my mind and body
  • Eating a light dinner with a big salad
  • Drinking a cup of soothing Sleepy Time hot tea
  • Take a Melatonin supplement and hope to sleep for 7 hours!

That old saying “Fail to Plan – Plan to Fail” is so true!

What do you do to get back on track with your goals when you have gone astray?

1. sarah@spinach and spice says:

Those do look gourmet! Fantastic recipe, Tami!
    When I fall off track (which has happened quite a few times since moving from home) I try to take small steps to get back on track. I’ll write down a few goals such as “have a salad with a meal today” or “go to the fitness center after class”. The small steps really do add up, and they make the process seem much smoother!
    Also, I want to let you know that you are one of four of my “have to read today!” blogs. I always visit your page on my phone before bed, so though I may not comment a lot on here.. I really appreciate your site! I love your recipes, your stories, and your thoughts such as your recent post about not always getting the chance to comment on other blogs. Keep doing what you’re doing Tami, you have a great following who loves you for what you do post!

I like what you said “The small steps really do add up, and they make the process seem much smoother!” That is so true. When we see ourselves making progress it gives us momentum to keep moving forward.

How sweet to know that you visit my blog each day. :) I’m grinning ear to ear!

2. Kiri W. says:

I usually try to have a quiet evening, refocus, and really get a handle on what the problems are. Then I’ll have focal points to really pay attention to in the coming days, and usually brings about a general change in attitude. Sometimes it’s hard, though!

The mini meatloaves look great!

I like lists, too, but I am not consistent enough with making them. I usually end up making lists when I feel totally overwhelmed (which is a bit too late!), and making lists always makes me feel better.

I like your “getting back to my happy weight list!” It’s a great idea to keep you accountable.

I usually go back to whatever worked for me in the past and it seems that’s just exactly what you’ve decided to do for yourself!

I always make meatloat in mini portions, mostly because I don’t care for it but Mr. Helen does. I usually make 4 at a time and freeze them ready to cook.

Looking at this recipe I was thinking wrapping a turkey or chicken burger in proscuitto would be a great way to get the flavor of a “bacon” burger without the calories!

Helen I freeze mini meat loaves too but “after” I have cooked them. I have never frozen them un-cooked but that too is a great idea.

Wrapping a turkey or chicken burger in prosciutto is a grand idea! In adds a lot of flavor for little calories. Brilliant!

See, I told you that you should write your own cookbook! Those look amazing!!!

Sorry to hear about the weight BUT you do know what needs to be done to lose it & I have no doubt you will! You are planning to succeed & you will! :-)

Thank you for your great website!!!! I really enjoy the recipes. Helps keep me on the WW program.

It’s very odd, but even though I like all the ingredients in meatloaf, I don’t like them all together. I’m not sure why.

I like to write my intentions, too. It helps me stay focused.

8. Jan says:

Gotta try those turkey loaves, BUT what would happen if I leave out the cracker crumbs? (No wheat for me)

Sorry about the regain, but it is so common to have a lapse, and you caught yourself NOW. Like others, I revisit my behavioral goals and my own motivations for getting back on track. Write them down. Keep them close by and track my progress by monitoring intake and activity.

I’m just gearing up for my push to lose the last 20 pounds (or whatever looks right). I’m happy to join in with you through the upcoming challenging season of food and family.

Thank you for the support Jan! We can do this even with the challenge of the holidays!

I forgot to answer your question about the cracker crumbs. Is there any fiber source that is on your food plan? Can you use oat bran or oatmeal?

You only need about 1/2 cup and its purpose is to help make the meat less dense and hold onto it’s moisture.

I know that some low carb diets include pork rinds and those would work too.

You might try 1/2 cup of frozen spinach, thawed and most of the moisture squeezed out, 1/2 cup mushrooms finely chopped or bell pepper finely chopped will help make the meat loaf less dense but they won’t hold onto the moisture like the crackers will.

What about cheese, 1/2 cup of cheese would add moisture too, Parmesan or Asiago would be awesome in this recipe.

Hope this helps Jan. :)

1. Jan says:

Asiago – perfect! Thanks for being my chef doctor!

9. Karen says:

Great list, Tami! Did you feel the earthquake the other day?

Hi Karen! No we were already in bed and didn’t feel a thing! I have only felt an earth quake one time since moving to CA. It was over 15 years ago. Hubby was out of town and in the middle of the night the bed started to move a little. I thought it was one of the kids trying to wake me up! It lasted for just seconds and then was over. I got up checked to make sure everyone was okay and went right back to bed!

10. renee@mykitchenadventures says:

I bet these taste wonderful! Everything tastes better wrapped in prosciutto! ( sort of like the Italian version of bacon!)

I didn’t know you were suffering with some sciatica! Oh gosh, I went through a few months with that and it is very painful and debilitating! Fortunately, with constant otc tylenol, I was able to get rid of it. I feel for you!

Gain? ya, I am right there with ya. I really, really need to get myself back on track….day by day. That is what works for me. Each day is a new one to get it right by making the right decisions for myself. Days turn into weeks, and weeks turn into months….

Renee I know that story well! I had a great day yesterday – on plan! I didn’t get all of the exercise done on my list but I did get the 3 mile walk done and my food
      was balanced so it was a good start.

I recently had physical therapy for the sciatica and back problems and prescription meds. I feel pretty good as long as I don’t sit at the computer too long. Jan from Writing to Wellness is joining me in getting back on plan through the holidays so feel free to jump on board with us!

11. Amy @ A Little Nosh says:

Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh this week!

12. Phillys Morian says:

I like to put oatmeal in meatloaf. How do you think that would be in place of the cracker crumbs? My husband kids me that I can never just follow the recipe, but you and Pam Anderson are two of my favorites, and if you say crackers maybe I should really use them… What do you think?

Phillys I have had good luck using oatmeal in other meatloaves so I think it would work just fine in this recipe too! You just need a little something to keep the meat loaves from being so dense and to help hold the moisture in. Go for it! :)

1. Phillys Morian says:

The oatmeal worked well, and the meatloaves were DELICIOUS! This recipe is a keeper! Thank you! I plan to write Pam Anderson as well as I am a big fan of hers too.

13. Joy says:

DELISH!!!!!!!!!!!!

That aint Mama’s Meatloaf! So easy and could definatly sereve to guest to impress.

Can’t wait to share with friends.

Thanks so much for such a great page.

Joy