Mom’s Egg McMuffin for Breakfast

As a teenager I worked at McDonald’s. During the summer I was able to work the breakfast shift and it became my favorite time to work. I liked cooking there (big surprise) and getting to make the egg McMuffins. When I saw this egg ring at Crate and Barrel it took me right back to those fond memories of making egg McMuffins and since I make them all the time at home for my family I had to have this egg ring. The one I used at McDonald’s was actually 6 of these rings all attached and of course sometimes you would have two of them filled with eggs so you could turn out a dozen breakfast sandwiches in a matter of minutes. It was big batch cooking made easy!

Place the egg ring in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with non stick spray, break the egg into the ring.  This also works with egg whites or egg beaters for a lower cholesterol option.

Once the egg is set you remove the ring, flip the egg to the other side and finish cooking. You have a perfect round cooked egg, just the right size for an English muffin. Brilliant!

Meanwhile toast an English muffin, I like Oroweat double fiber and warm up a slice of uncured Canadian bacon.

Top with a slice of cheese and you have a protein packed breakfast sandwich that is portable! Wrap it up in foil to keep it warm and take it with you. No drive -thru required! This is also a quick and easy dinner option.

Mom’s Egg McMuffin Sandwich

Cook the egg, egg white or Egg Beaters, toast an English muffin and heat up a slice of uncured Canadian bacon. Layer cooked egg, bacon and cheese on toasted muffin. Wrap in foil for a take and eat breakfast!

Yield: 1 serving

Using one whole egg Per Serving: 259 Calories; 10g Fat (27.7% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 252mg Cholesterol; 1130mg Sodium. WWPP 8

Using one egg white Per Serving : 202 Calories; 5g Fat (16.8% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 1115mg Sodium. WWPP  6

Using 1/4 cup egg beaters Per Serving: 235 Calories; 5g Fat (15.1% calories from fat); 30g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 1230mg Sodium. WWPP 7

A Nutmeg Notebook Recipe

Our weekend was a super duper cooking extravaganza! Since we are hosting 13 people for Thanksgiving this year hubby Tom wanted to practice cooking a turkey on his new Traeger grill. We bought a 21 pound turkey – the biggest we have ever had and invited a few friends over for a pre-holiday meal on Sunday!

We cooked all day Sunday and had a great time in the kitchen. No cooking blunders or disasters except for one minor glitch with the new tablecloth. Hubby Tom took the new tablecloth out of the package and carefully ironed it only to discover as we were putting it on the table that it had a blotch in the center of it! He made a mad dash back to Bed Bath and Beyond to make an exchange! All was well with the new one and we were able to set the table in time for our guests.

Of course you can expect a post about our meal, and some new product reviews as well as a recipe or two you might enjoy for your own Thanksgiving celebration. I didn’t get a lot of photos as it is difficult to cook, be a hostess and photograph food all at the same time!

Happy Halloween!

We usually go out to eat and to a movie on Halloween. Since we have so many leftovers from yesterday,we might just eat here at home and then go to a movie. How many of you live where the snow storms hit? I remember as a kid growing up in Nebraska going trick or treating in the snow! We put our costumes on under our Winter coats!

Don’t eat too much candy tonight!

What kind of job did you have as a teenager?

Are you passing out candy tonight?

1. Kiri W. says:

Ohhh, what a lovely little egg pan! :) I want one!

Nope, no candy, we live in an apartment area that’s mostly inhabited by students and post-docs, so there’s virtually no trick-or-treating going on.

In 11th grade I worked in a supermarket, restocking or as a cashier depending on demand. I also spent a half year computerizing a library catalog, and I’ve side jobbed at festivals at beer tents.

My hubby worked in a grocery store when he was in high school and he can still bag groceries like a pro!

My first job was in an ice cream shop! Not surprisingly, that’s when I began some semi-serious weight gain.

No candy distribution for me. I live on a small cove/cul-de-sac, and we don’t have enough tricksters to treat. Fine with me!

Enjoy your movie!

Oh my an ice cream would be dangerous for me to work in too! I didn’t gain weight working at Mc D’s I guess we moved around a lot and I burned it all off!

3. erica says:

I have been making egg mcmuffin’s for breakfast almost every morning. I never thought of using a cookie cutter or egg shaper to make it the perfect size! I am definitely doing this tomorrow. Happy Halloween.

xo

4. Karen says:

I love egg mcmuffins.

5. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I don’t know why, but I’ve always thought that perfectly round eggs always taste better. :)

My first job was as a receptionist aid at my high school. I’d work before school, during lunch and after school. Pretty easy first job as most my other friends had jobs in the fast food world.

We live in a small, but Halloween friendly neighborhood so I have 2 giant Costco candy bags at the ready for tonight! Some parents drive their kids to our neighborhood to collect candy.

Happy Halloween and enjoy your movie!

Jenn we use to live in a neighborhood with lots of kids and parents from other neighborhoods would drop their kids off to trick or treat our houses!

That was pretty neat that you had a job right in your school! An office job is a lot cleaner than working in fast food. I learned a lot about how to treat service people by working in fast food and being a waitress.

The egg ring is very cool! I may have to make a trip to Crate & Barrel some time soon… :)

7. sarah@spinach and spice says:

Love Makeover Mcmuffins for breakfast! I have a recipe on my blog, though it uses the microwave so it is dorm friendly. Yours looks much more appetizing!

Sarah I have made some in the microwave too using a ramekin to get the round shape. It works pretty good! You have to be creative when cooking in a dorm!

That egg recipe looks great!! And ME TOO! My first job when I was in high school was at McDonald’s but I was a cashier. One of the few that could have my cash drawer be right at the end of the shift & that was at a time when we had to figure out the change ourselves! ;-) Not even going to say what I got paid – OMG, so long ago!

I love how your hubby gets involved in cooking & decorating! I can’t wait to see pics since that is so not what I can do! LOVE the plate!

9. Sue says:

My weight watchers leader said if having candy in the house is a challenge, then don’t buy the candy, turn off the lights and leave the house. So we are going to Mass tonight, then out to dinner.

Sue I think that’s great advice. Church and dinner out sounds like a good plan! Enjoy!

10. Autumn@Good Eats Girl says:

I love making egg mcmuffins at home! I do need this egg ring though…genius!!

We went out trick or treating tonight! Such fun!

My Mom went out to dinner and a movie too last night – I always thought she liked Halloween, but I guess it was my Dad who loved it most – and she said that the last couple years she’s been getting more teenagers who aren’t dressed up and don’t even say trick or treat!

Yep, I’ve trick or treated in the snow in Iowa at my brothers house when Hannah was little – not fun!

We were in good company last night at the restaurant and the movie – it was the over 50 crowd! Tee-hee-that’s okay we had a great time and consumed no candy! We did however enjoy Chinese food and fortune cookies dipped in white chocolate – oh wait – does that count as candy?

I would love one of those egg rings! I use a ring that I think might be a biscuit cutter. I often make the egg McMuffins for myself.Wonder if Bed & Bath carry them?
    Beautiful table Tami!!

My very first job was as a telephone operator. Small town where we had to ask “number please”. Didn’t last long as we moved put of the province.

We had around 15 kids last night…the last 5 almost as tall as Bryce. Time to shut off the lights. We handed out granola bars and I was really surprised at how many of the kids said “yay, granola bars”!!

I answered my own question…Bed Bath & Beyond carry similar rings…2 for $5.99

That’s great and what a good price too. It would be good to have two of them and double up the production when serving several people.

2. byron says:

I got mine at amazon.com

A telephone operator – Carol that is so cool! I read where other people had older teenagers come around not in costumes trying to trick or treat-I guess they wanted some free candy! What a great idea to pass out granola bars – very creative and healthier than candy. I love it. I did those little packets of pretzels one year and little bags of gold fish crackers. Didn’t get any complaints.

Good to know that BB&B has the egg rings, thanks for checking on that and letting me know.

13. Linda says:

I was so thrilled when I saw your post on these I had to order the egg rings online! Just $3.95 at Ctare and Barrel and got them in 3 days! My kids love this for breakfast and so do I. I ordered 2 extra for my older kids who live in NC for Christmas stocking stuffers. I printed out your recipe and pictures on pretty holiday paper and placed the ring and recipe in a cute hoilday box. They are going to love it!! Thanks again

Linda what a wonderful idea you have! You are so creative. :) I am going to mention it in a post about food gifts tha I have planned. Thank you for sharing
      your idea with me. The breakfast sandwiches are a delight to have. In fact Hubby Tom wanted one this morning but I didn’t have any Canadian bacon so he
      had to settle for eggs and a link sausage.

Have a wonderful day!