Sausage Cheese Egg Muffins

Per daughter Katy’s request one of the grab and go breakfast items I made over the weekend were these fantastic sausage cheese egg muffins. Years ago I made something similar to these but they were low carb and high fat. I couldn’t find my recipe so I had to start from scratch. I knew I wanted to include a little flour to give the muffins more body so I opted for the Heart Smart Bisquick. The results were delicious! Be sure to spray your muffin tin liberally as these have a tendency to stick. If you have the silicone muffin pan this would be a good time to use it. I need to get one of those.

This is a basic recipe that can be altered and added to depending on whats in the refrigerator or your personal preference. Add some cooked diced potatoes, diced mushrooms, spinach, green peppers, green chilies,use soy crumbles, Canadian bacon, or diced chicken in place of the turkey sausage. Use whole eggs, egg beaters or egg whites, full fat or low fat cheese. Switch up the herbs and go Mexican with Chili powder or savory with rosemary and sage.

These reheat nicely in the microwave. Flavorful and filling, just what breakfast should be!

I will be experimenting making these with a Whole Grain baking mix and using different add ins. See the nutritional information and check out how using egg beaters, reduced fat cheese and skim milk change the cholesterol, total fat and the Weight Watchers Points!

Sausage Cheese Egg Muffins

• 9 5/8 ounces pkg Jimmy Dean Hearty Turkey Sausage Crumbles
  • 4 ounces cheddar cheese — shredded (or sub reduced fat cheese)
  • 8 eggs (or sub 1 1/2 cups egg beaters)
  • 3/4 cup Bisquick Heart Smart
  • 1/2 cup 1% milk (or sub skim milk)
  • 4 each green onions — sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
  • pinch red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 cup muffin pan with non stick spray. Combine all ingredients together in a mixing bowl, stir with spoon until well combined. Divide evenly into prepared muffin tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set. Let cool slightly then carefully remove from pan, let muffins cool completely on a wire rack.

Yield: 12 muffins   Serving Size: 1 muffin

Using eggs, regular cheese and 1% milk:

Per Serving: 139 Calories; 8g Fat (49.4% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 136mg Cholesterol; 386mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat. WWPP 4

Using eggs, reduced fat cheese and skim milk:

Per Serving: 117 Calories; 5g Fat; (39.6% calories from fat) 11g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 128mg Cholesterol; 385mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat. WWPP 3

Using 1 1/2 cup egg beaters, skim miilk and reduced fat cheese:

Per Serving: 92 Calories; 3g Fat (26.2% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 22mg Cholesterol; 393mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 0 Fat. WWPP 2

Nutmeg Notebook

Breakfast is a struggle for me. I know I need to eat breakfast to boost my metabolism and prevent over eating later in the day but nothing sounds that appealing to me first thing in the morning. A cup and a half of coffee with a little NuNaturals Stevia Drops and So Delicious Coconut Creamer is how I start my morning. After my coffee I eat a little piece of light cheese or a banana before my 3 mile walk. After my walk, this time of year I do like a bowl of Pumpkin Oatmeal or Hot Apple Quinoa, Smoothies or a boiled egg and a serving of fat free Greek yogurt with fresh fruit.

Happy Healthy Cooking!

ADD YOUR THOUGHTS

Do you eat breakfast?

If your answer is yes, what are you eating to start your day?

3 pings

I usually have a banana first thing, and then something a little more substantial later in the morning.

These muffins look interesting. i think I would skip the sausage entirely and just make them with cheese and eggs.

Cammy I think they would still be good without the sausage but then they will need a little more seasoning to make up for the loss of flavor that the sausage gives.

I am definitely putting these on my list to make – love it! I can’t skip breakfast – I usually have to eat within an hour of getting up.

And I have to have protein, if I eat cereal or oats, I am usually starving an hour later.

3. Jan says:

I eat breakfast, but first I drink coffee with heavy cream THEN I eat drink a meal replacement an hour or so later, usually my own concoction of a protein smoothie.

The muffins look great. I love being able to mix flavors. Since we (or at least I) aren’t eating flour products we do a breakfast sandwich for dinner sometimes – fried egg (using olive oil), cheese, and Canadian bacon without the muffin. Wilt some spinach on top for leafy goodness, throw on whatever else looks good from the veggie bin.

Jan I love breakfast type foods for dinner. Strange I know, they just don’t appeal to me first thing in the morning! :)

Beans:) Great combo of protein, fiber and carbs. I make “refried” beans in the crock pot once a week and reheat daily. But I don’t eat until an hour or so after I get up, starting with tea first.

I think its great that you eat beans for breakfast – we have Hispanic friends who eat beans, rice and avocado for breakfast! Love that!

Well, I am not a sausage fan & can’t do cheese BUT my hubby would like these! ;-)

I ALWAYS eat breakfast. Since I am a first thing in the morn workout person, it is usually a homemade protein bar & a piece of whole grain toast with PB on it. I actually mix flax into the PB I buy to give it an even better nutritional punch! :-)

Jody great idea to mix flax in with the peanut butter. Love that!

Thank you for the recipe Tami….hopefully I can make them tomorrow as we are appointment free for a couple of days! They look delicious!

I always eat breakfast & try to have something different every morning. Oatmeal or multigrain cheerios with a banana, whole grain toast w/ PB & banana, sometimes eggs or pancakes and sometimes I’ll even have a ham & cheese sandwich on thin sliced bread.
    A couple of hours after breakfast I’ll have an apple.

You are welcome Carol! Let me know if you like them. You enjoy a nice variety for breakfast. I have been known to eat a sandwich for breakfast too!

7. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

Where do you get the Jimmy Dean Hearty Turkey Sausage Crumbles? I tend to shop at Kroger stores and they don’t carry them. I think my husband would love these!

Most mornings I make sure to have something high protein for breakfast, but sometimes I don’t get around to fixing something and I fast until lunch.

I buy the crumbles at a Super Walmart. Here is a link to a product finder for them, http://jimmydean.com/product-locator/?postid=2743

These muffins look great – going to give them a try. Perfect to throw in hubby’s lunch for a mid-morning snack.

I do eat breakfast, but not until 9 a.m. I’m usually up by 5:30 and drink coffee while doing morning quiet time. I am just simply not hungry until later. I’ve tried making myself eat earlier (like some say you HAVE to) but it just doesn’t work for me. If I eat something with a good nutritional make-up and 250-300 calories around 9, I am totally satisfied until 1 when I normally eat lunch!

It sounds like you have found what works for you Sharon. Hope your hubby enjoys these little gems!

9. Autumn@Good Eats Girl says:

These are going on my weekend breakfast list! Love these! They look amazing!

10. Phillys says:

I have a similar recipe, but yours looks even better. I can’t wait to try it! My usual M-F breakfast is 1/2 of a banana mixed with yogurt cheese (drained yogurt) and a little cereal for crunch. I like something like this for weekends, though.

11. Kathy says:

I made these this morning – FABULOUS! I’ve been experimenting with the biscuit and egg in a muffin pan – my husband says it’s to much bread. I told him this has bisquick in it and he said he couldn’t taste it. He said it’s a keeper! Thank you I’ve found the recipe I’m looking for!

12. Phillys Morian says:

I just pinned this along with a comment about your blog on Pinterest, and I have not even made them yet! I am, however, about to get them cooking as soon as I finish my coffee!

Wow thanks Phillys!

13. Sharron says:

Tammi,

I made these over the weekend and they are fabulous!! My hubands loves them. I used the basic recipe with no alterations. I have a breakfast casserole that I have served for Christmas morning for over 35 years that is very similar to this however, NOT WW point friendly! These will probably take the place of the old one. Thanks so much!!!

Sharron

Sharon thank you for the review! So many people have made these in the past week and are loving them! I have made the basic recipe three times and then made one batch with ham instead of the sausage. The family prefers the original recipe! My mom made them the other day and said that my dad kept coming back for more!

I’m tickled pink that you are going to make these for Christmas morning!

Happy Cooking!

14. Racheal says:

Tami,

Thanks for the wonderful recipe! I made them and accidently forgot the milk (what happens when I try to do 50 things in the morning). However, they were still amazing! Next time I am going to add spinach and red pepper! YUM!

Racheal you are so welcome! Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It makes me smile ear to ear to know that the recipes posted here are being used and enjoyed by others. :) It gives me such pleasure – you have no idea how happy this makes me!

This recipe has been one of the most popular recipes I have posted lately. There are so many variations and all taste buds can be accommodated. Plus it is super easy to make.

Happy Cooking!

15. Jeanne ODonnell says:

I made these this morning. They were great. Can I freeze them? If so, how to reheat?

Jeanne I’m glad you liked these! I have not frozen them as my family has been eating them within a day or two of me making them. Others who have tried them and froze them, reported back to me that they did so with good results. You could set a couple frozen ones out on the counter for 20 minutes to thaw if you have the time or even pull them out the night before and put them in the refrigerator.

If frozen solid I would heat them up in the microwave on a lower power like 5 or 6 so they thaw out first and then warm up. How long will depend on how powerful your microwave oven is. I would start with 30 seconds to a minute at a low power then check them, add 15-20 seconds until they are are just right. :)

16. Anna says:

I love eggs for breakfast but I never have time to stand there and cook them. I have tried a bunch of different egg muffins, these were great. I used soy sausage crumbles as a substitute and it worked well. I may add some chopped spinach or broccoli next time. It seems like it would be a forgiving recipe.

Anna it is a forgiving recipe. I have used diced ham instead of sausage with great results. Using half eggs and half egg beaters is what I usually do. My daughter wants me to try making them with some shredded potatoes thrown in – sounds delicious! Thank you so much for coming back and leaving me a comment. You made my day! :) I love hearing that the recipes are being used and enjoyed by others.

Hope you are having a beautiful day!

17. Anne says:

I just made these to have on hand for breakfast this week. My husband taste tested one and said they’re wonderful! I just found your blog, and I’m so glad I did!

Welcome to the blog Anne. I am delighted that you hubby liked these. They are full of protein so they make a great breakfast for men as well. I am good with eating just one with some yogurt or fruit on the side but my hubby and my son eat two of them.

Have a beautiful day!

18. maggie says:

Loved these muffins! So easy to make, and husband also loved them. I used the eggbeater, skim milk, rf cheese, turkey crumbles recipe for 2 wwpp. Hubby suggested making it in casserole next time. Thanks for your recipe. This is the first one I’ve tried but will be making more of your recipes in future.

Thanks Maggie! This seems to be a very popular recipe right now and the husbands are giving them a two thumbs up! I hope you will visit often and enjoy the recipes here. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment – I love knowing that the recipes are being enjoyed by others.

Happy Cooking!

19. Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers says:

Ah this is exactly what I was looking for!! I’ve been trying to find a definitive recipe for cooking a bunch of these bad boys at once, great post!! I’ll have to check what produce I have on hand tonight….

20. Monica says:

Delicious!!! Thank you for the GREAT recipe!

You are welcome! This recipe has become a huge hit with WW members and non WW folks!

21. Stephanie says:

You can make your own “bisquick” by mixing the dry ingredients of your favorite pancake recipe in bulk. Just add the wet ingredients when you are ready to make breakfast or use it like you would bisquick. I use whole grain pastry flour and even use powdered milk, so all I have to add is eggs and water.

22. Lisa says:

DELISH!!! Made a pan of these tonight for grab-and-go breakfast during the week. Trying to keep lean on WW so did half the sausage and added some chopped/cooked broccoli.

So glad these turned out well for you! happy cooking!

23. Doris says:

Hello–I would like your help– Rather than making these as muffins I would prefer to make this as a casserole dish type item..What size baking dish would you suggest ? At what temp and for how long should it be baked ??? thanks in advance !

Hi Doris – I have never made this as a casserole so I don’t really know the answer to your question. My best guess would be to try baking it in a 9 x 13 pan and just keeping an eye on it to determine when it’s done – it will take longer to bake than making muffins. Good luck with it! :)

1. Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Weight Watchers PP 6 » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[...] it to be tasty! This recipe got rave reviews on the Cooking Light web site. For myself I prefer the Sausage Cheese Egg Muffins which has been one of the most popular recipes on my [...]

2. Food Finds & Farmer’s Market Finds » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[...] These have a very hard shell – takes a good wack against the counter top to crack them open. Perfect for using in one of the most popular recipes from this blog Sausage Cheese Egg Muffins. [...]

3. 2013 Healthy Meal Plan: Week 05 « Half Size Me says:

[...] Sausage Cheese Egg Muffin (I will use regular eggs and reduced fat cheese based on that 3PP per serving.) [...]