Classic Beef Pot Roast

After all that turkey are you ready for a little beef? For the past few weeks hubby Tom has been enjoying cooking in his Grandmother’s old cast iron dutch oven. I am thrilled that he has been taking an interest in cooking on the weekends. As much as I enjoy cooking myself, having someone cook for me is at the top of my list of pleasures! This beef roast with carrots, onions and potatoes took us both back to our childhood Sunday dinners. It was good old comfort food. Simple ingredients that require little fuss. It is all assembled in one pot and put in the oven. Easy! The only thing we would do different next time is to add some fresh green beans towards the end. Sunday dinner at it’s best.

Classic Beef Pot Roast

Cuts of beef that perform well for pot roasting go by many different names: Blade roast, cross-rib roast (or shoulder clod), seven-bone pot roast, arm pot roast, rump roast and boneless chuck roast are all acceptable cuts for this traditional recipe. (We used a rump roast)

• 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 4 thyme sprigs or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
  • Fresh thyme leaves (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chuck roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onion to pan; saute 8 minutes or until tender.

Return browned roast to pan. Add the red wine, thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until the roast is almost tender.

Add carrots and potatoes to pan. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pan; discard. Slice roast. Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 3 ounces roast, about 3/4 cup vegetables, and about 3 tablespoons cooking liquid)

Nutritional Information

CALORIES 307(31% from fat); FAT 10.4g (sat 3.5g,mono 4.8g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 28.6g; CHOLESTEROL 85mg; CALCIUM 34mg; SODIUM 340mg; FIBER 2.8g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 23.7g  WWPP 8

Adapted From Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2006

We found me a new computer at a great price! Katy’s boyfriend Esau did some Internet research on computers and suggested to us where to go and what to get. Easy peasy! But then of course once you get a new computer home it’s a lot of work to try and transfer all of your files over from the old one! We are still trying to locate everything on the new computer – it is a test of patience. I am not sure where my file of recipes ended up – it’s currently hiding somewhere.

Last week I also got the new iPhone4s so I am still trying to figure it out. I am on a learning curve here with a new phone and a new computer. I am not the least bit tech savvy either so this is a super challenge for me!

What are your favorite iPhone apps?

Growing up what did you have for family Sunday dinners?

My mom often made fried chicken or a roast for Sunday dinners.

1 ping

1. Jan says:

Wow, this so much reminds me of Sunday dinner. My mother usually made beef brisket or pot roast. My Grandmother’s typical family feast was always pot roast with ‘taters, carrots, and gravy. If something green appeared on the table, it was probably a grandkid’s toy.

We also recently got iPhone 4s. Now that I have Siri (“where is the nearest Best Buy?”) one of my favorite apps “Around Me” is pretty useless. I must admit I spent a lot of time playing with Siri figuring out with the AI could do. Dang, texting while driving is now kinda OK since it is just dictation. Last week I left the extensive grocery list at home. Sue took a pic of the Post-it note with the fantastic camera and texted it to me!

1. admin says:

Jan I had to laugh at what you wrote, “If something green appeared on the table, it was probably a grandkid’s toy.” The only green veggie we had on a regular basis was canned green beans!

I have not even had a chance to play with the Sir yet. Last week was all about getting ready for Thanksgiving, then clean up after the big event the next day. The day after another dinner party at our house. Clean up the day after and trying to get the computer ready to go.

Great idea to have Sue take a photo of your post it note and send it to your phone! Isn’t all this technology amazing?

2. Kiri W. says:

We had family dinners every night growing up, though weekends often had a bit fancier foods due to prep time allowance.

The pot roast looks delicious! :) I don’t eat beef often enough, I think.

1. admin says:

We sat down to dinner everynight as a family too! I did the same with my kids as they were growing up. Lots of good memories are made doing that.

YUM! My parents were great cooks – both of them – so we always had meals together when I was young & pot roast was one of them. Course ours were not that calorie & fat friendly back then! ;-)

Glad you got the computer but yes, the transfer stuff – UGH! My hubby does this for a living – builds computers for small business’ so I would be lost without him cause I am useless with that stuff. Hope you find your recipes!!!

I am not an iPhone person nor an apps person… simple ole me. Maybe one day I will come out of the dark ages! :-D

1. admin says:

Jody I love that both of your parents cooked. My mom was the only one who cooked. If it was left up to dad the food would have been scarey!

You are so lucky that your hubby is you computer guy! My son could do some of this but he is way too busy at college these days with finals just around the corner.

We found a small file of the most recent recipes but the rest have not been found yet. Thank goodness I have all of the recipes on the blog.

4. Kim says:

We had pot roasts and briscuits for Sunday dinners. Could I put all of this in the crickpot? Would it turn out any different from cooking in the oven?

1. admin says:

Pot roasts and briscuits for Sunday dinners sounds like my childhood home! Yes, you could put this in a slow cooker no problem. I would think about 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. My slow cooker runs super hot and usually recipes take the shorter amount of time so how long all depends on your slow cooker. You might have more liquid in the slow cooker version but I would just thicken the liquid with some cornstarch mixed with water so it’s more gravy like if you like gravy. Other wise just use a slotted spoon to remove the carrots and potatoes to serve with the roast.

I’ve never developed a taste for pot roast, and it seemed our Sunday dinners were pot roast about 75% of the time. :)

It’s really sad, but I only have a handful of apps, and only one that I paid for. I mostly use my iphone for email, the camera, the ipod and maps. :)

6. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

I made this exact pot roast recipe and posted about it some time ago…it was really good. I used an English cut chuck roast. I remember it made LOTS and LOTS of gravy! :)

LOVE my iphone. I don’t have many apps on it. Most of the apps I have I keep on my ipod. I do have WW mobile and facebook and pandora. I adore pandora. Internet radio….so great. Free. you just type in the music you want and voila, it plays songs virtually commercial free. Yesterday I typed in Transiberian Orchestra, and listened while I cleaned….on Thanksgiving, I typed in Dinner music, and had some great background music playing while we ate dinner. I LOVE IT! . I also have a good restaurant nutrition app. I don’t have the ISO4. I love suri though. Very fun. Have you used it?

congrats on all your new gadgets!

7. Julie at Burnt Carrots says:

Thursday we are suppose to be in the teens and expecting snow! This recipe sounds like the best way to stay warm!

We had beef stew and pot roast a lot growing up – I am sure my Mom bought the cheapest cut of meat because money was tight, but the low and slow cooking always produced the most tender meat!

Hooray for a new computer!

1. Classic Beef Pot Roast » Nutmeg Notebook says: