Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry Sauce

Pork tenderloin is low fat and delicious not to mention easy to cook. At this time of year when there are so many extra things on our “to do” list we need some easy to prepare meals.When purchased at the big box stores like Sam’s Club or Costco pork tenderloin is also a good value. Usually I oven roast it but when I came across this recipe that called for sauteing and making a pan sauce I just had to give it a try. This recipe also uses cranberry sauce so if you still have some lurking in your refrigerator from Thanksgiving pull it out. According to the web site Still Tasty - canned cranberry sauce held covered in the refrigerator is good for 10-14 days. The pork was tender and the cranberry sauce was delicious. The simple sides of oven roasted butternut squash and frozen peas hit the spot. Costco sells a large container of butternut squash already peeled and cubed so you can make Oven Roasted Butternut Squash without any hassle! In the produce section at Trader Joe’s they also sell a bag of ready to cook squash. Yes, you do pay more for having the work already done but it’s cheaper and healthier than eating out!

Shallots have a nice mellow onion flavor with a touch of garlic. They are usually found near the garlic in the produce section. You can sub yellow onion for shallots in recipes but the onion has a stronger flavor so use a little less.

Pork Medallions with Cranberry Sauce

• 1 lb. Pork tenderloin cut into 1 inch medallions
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp. Vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp. Butter
  • 2 Shallots chopped
  • 1/4 cup White wine or chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup Cranberry sauce ( whole berry or regular)
  • 1/2 cup Chicken broth
  • 1 tsp. Sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water

Season the flour with salt and pepper to taste. Lightly dust the pork medallions with the flour. In a skillet over medium heat melt the butter with the oil. Brown the pork medallions about 3-5 minutes on both sides. Remove meat from pan, cover to keep warm. In the same pan cook the shallots until soft, add wine , scraping up all the little bits on the bottom of the pan. Add cranberry sauce, chicken broth and sugar. Add corn starch and stir until sauce has thickened. To serve, place medallions on a plate and pour sauce over the top.

Yield: 4 servings

Per Serving: 278 Calories; 11g Fat (36.4% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 67mg Cholesterol; 191mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. WWPP 7

Adapted from a recipe posted by Momzoo on the Cooking Light Message Boards. Original recipe source unknown.

This recipe was shared on Tastetastic Thursdays @ A Little Nosh

A walk through my neighborhood revealed that most people already have their outdoor decorations and lights up and I even saw some Christmas trees that are already decorated! Holy Moly – that makes me feel so behind as I haven’t even started that process yet. It takes me a few days to get all of my holiday decorations displayed in the house. The outdoor lights are a two partner job for hubby Tom and I. Maybe this coming weekend we can do that if the weather cooperates.

This morning instead of a walk we raked leaves for exercise. It was actually fun! The yard looks good for about an hour before it is covered again. Oh well that’s how it goes. Big winds are predicted here for later today so I am sure it’s going to be a mess again by evening. If we are lucky the wind will take our leaves into the nature preserve next door to us. I hope, I hope. :)

Make it a great day!

Have you decorated for the holidays yet?

Do you have a real or an artificial Christmas tree?

We have a beautiful artificial tree that came with the lights already attached.

Hi Tami…this recipe is for sure on my to-make list! We love pork tenderloin and I like anything with cranberry sauce!

I’ve started decorating mainly because it takes me forever! The tree won’t go up until the 10th or so. We have a fiber optic tree but the flashing is too fast & really bothers my eyes. So, I put around 300 mini lights. I was going to downsize to a table top tree but oldest granddaughter didn’t think that was too cool!

Carol you can’t mess with tradition where kids and Grandkids are concerned! Flashing fiber optic lights would drive me bonkers too.

Before I can even start decorating for Christmas I have to put away all of my Fall decorations and right now I am so not in the mood to do either!

I put the last of the Fall things away last week.

This Christmas will be the first in 19 years that Sydney won’t be with us for Christmas morning….Dean too. We’ll have them here Christmas Eve so this one tradition is being broken.
        Those fiber optic lights actually hurt my eyes…a lot different having them in the house compared to seeing the tree set up in a big store where we bought it.

Wow Carol Christmas will be different for you this year. Perhaps you and Bryce will have to start some new traditions for the two of you.

I have found that sometimes when I look at something at Costco or Sam’s club it doesn’t look too big in that huge warehouse store. But then when we get it home it looks huge!

Even though there are changes ahead for you I am sure the holidays will be lovely!

I have been making the pork chops for my hubby sort of that way now.. in a pan per a recipe I found & posted a while back…. I brown them & then use a sauce of some sort & cook on low & it keeps them moist. I was trying to bake them for the longest time & they always were dry so this is working. Yours looks great!

Some people have decorated here but not us…. no Xmas tree – no room but I bought a little coffee table one a few years back for the hubby. celebratete Hanukkah so it is a menorah for me! ;-)

Your pork chop recipe sounds wonderful Jody. I did find that the pork was very tender cooked this way and so fast too.

I like the idea of the coffee table tree – easy to get out and put away! Happy Hanukkah to you Jody!

Fake tree:) But we have three planted in our backyard that are from early Christmases in this house.

Karen that is so neat that you planted some of your live Christmas trees from years past. Great idea! :)

4. Sue says:

Your post motivated me to turn off the computer and go outside to rake leaves. I kept putting off my walk today, but the 2.5 hours raking leaves felt so good. I’m sure I’ll be sore tomorrow.

Good going Sue! That was some god exercise you got raking for 2.5 hours. Wow!

I ended up going for walk even though I raked leaves. It was just too nice out not to enjoy the weather!

I think there will be some sore muscles tomorrow morning for both of us. :)

5. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

That pork tenderloin looks so good! I’m a fan of anything with sauce. :)

We get a real tree for the kids. It’s a family tradition to tromp through the tree farms and argue about which is the best tree. :) When the kids are outta the house though, the hubby and I will definitely get a high quality pre-lit tree!

Jenn I have to laugh at what you wrote “. It’s a family tradition to tromp through the tree farms and argue about which is the best tree.” Been there and done that too!

I do miss the lovely scent of the fresh tree – just don’t get that with a pre-lit fake tree!

This year I noticed a lot of people had their lights up and trees in their windows before Thanksgiving! I know one family who were celebrating Christmas at Thanksgiving with out-of-town relatives, but I can’t imagine everyone was!

Me? I don’t decorate at all most years. I may put up a tiny tabletop tree here in my office, since that’s where I spend most of my time when I’m at home, but other than that most of my holiday is spent elsewhere.

7. Kiri W. says:

No, and no. Being German, Christmas decorations go up on December 23rd, and come down in early January. Also, we always have real trees, and like most Germans, real candles, too. Personally this feels right to me, but those years I spend with the American in-laws, I have to adapt. I think both traditions have their merits, but at least have a real tree! ;)

We got our tree up over the weekend! A little early this year, but it’s nice to have it. Our cat thinks it is there for her to play with :-)

You have talked about the one thing I learned can be bought at Costco that Sam’s has no equivalent. I found that roasted Butternut Squash when I was in my one and only trip to Costco with Tish and I’ve never found anything like it since. So I’ve just learned how to do my own because we love butternut squash!

We have two trees, both artificial. The living room tree is the “formal” tree and the tree in the den has all our sentimental ornaments and ornaments we collect each year from our travels. This year we added Ruby Slippers and the Emerald City from our visit the the Oz Museum in Kansas. They are adorable.

10. Gina (The Candid RD) says:

What a great looking recipe! I am always so intimidated by pork, but you make it look so easy.
    We decorated last weekend, but still have a bit more work to do (like the tree!). We are doing a fake this year because I really don’t want to deal with a real one. We typically do a real one every other year.