Creamy Roasted Cauliflower & Broccoli Soup

When I saw this recipe for Creamy Roasted Cauliflower & Broccoli Soup on My Bizzy Kitchen I knew I had to make it. There was a huge head of cauliflower in my refrigerator that needed to be used and this recipe sounded like just the right thing to make on a cold day. The roasted vegetables and garlic adds so much flavor. It is a little extra work but so worth the effort. I enjoyed this soup over the course of a few days, sometimes just a cup as a side dish and other times a whole bowl full as my main course.Delicious! I did share a cup of it with hubby Tom who also thought is was pretty amazing.

Creamy Roasted Cauliflower & Broccoli Soup

• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 dried bay leaf
  • 2 teaspoons fresh minced parsley (didn’t have any)
  • 1/3 cup fat free half and half

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut cauliflower and broccoli into individual florets. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Transfer to a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.

Cut the top off of the head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap with foil. Place wrapped garlic on the baking sheet. Roast the cauliflower and garlic at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. When the cauliflower is tender and golden remove from the oven.

The garlic will need to roast for a total of about 25-30 minutes. You can remove it to check it’s progress as needed – it should smell fragrant but not raw, be golden and tender.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron dutch oven or medium-large stock pot. Add the onion, celery, and carrot. Saute over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Whisk in the salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, and flour and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.

Add the wine and water, whisking to combine with the flour mixture. Then, slowly add in 2 cups broth. Add the bay leave and roasted garlic cloves. Just squeeze the roasted garlic out of it’s peel – its really easy. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cauliflower and broccoli, simmer an additional 5 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf. Working in batches, add the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until pureed and smooth. Add additional 2 cups broth during or after blending to achieve desired consistency. After all the batches have been completed, return to the pot. Stir in the half and half and parsley. Cook until just heated through. Adjust salt and pepper for tastes.

Note: I used my Blendtec blender and it created a very smooth and creamy soup with no lumps!

Yield: 6 Servings  Servings Size: 1 cup

Sorry no nutritional information – I am still deciding what software program to get to configure the nutritional information for recipes and I changed the recipe from what Biz did which will change the nutritional information. If anyone figures the stats out before I get to it, please let me know!

Recipe adapted from My Bizzy Kitchen.

For dinner last night I treated the family to one of our old favorite meals that consisted of Herbed Chicken Piccata, Creamy Parmesan Orzo and oven roasted broccoli. They were delighted! It was nice to eat a healthy balanced meal with out too many carbs. Why is it that most holiday food is carby? We are ready to eat light and healthy again, how about you?

My back is doing much, much better! I am not exercising yet but I am up and about and just getting housework done is exercise enough right now. The new treadmill is beckoning to me – I can’t wait to get back on it! All in good time.

We are planning on staying home for New Years Eve just as we usually do. I will make us some healthy eats and we will watch movies! We don’t usually stay up to ring the New Year in – we must be getting old!

Happy New Year!

What are you doing for New Years Eve?

Do you stay up till midnight to ring the New Year in?

I’m boring! I hope to go to be my normal early time and that’s all:) But, we got invited to two parties so my husband might want to go out. And my oldest son is thinking of having friends over which might be noisy.

Glad you liked the soup! You are like the sixth person to make it since I posted it and its gotten thumbs up!

We always stay home for NYE – I hate being out with all the drunks, plus I worked so many new years eve’s when I was a waitress – I am over the hype! :D

Hope you are having a great week!

3. Kiri W. says:

Mmm, looks creamy and so warming and comforting!

For New Year’s Eve, we’re getting together with my parents and a family that are essentially our second family. We always make meat fondue and then light fireworks at midnight, with champagne :)

4. Jan says:

I so enjoy winter soups – just too lazy to make them :)

We haven’t been to a New Year’s Eve party in eons. Will probably be in bed watching movies from our dueling iPads.

5. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

Ugh, it’s been so rainy here lately that all I crave are soups. This one looks like comfort in a bowl. Yum….

We usually got to the neighbor’s for New Year’s, but this year we’re just going to stay in where I’ll cook something special then head to bed at a decent hour. Sounds super dull, but we’re looking forward to it! :)

My favorite creamy soup!!!

We really don’t do anything for New Years Eve…did all that in our 30′s! Now I’m lucky if I can stay awake until 10!
    We also used to host a big turkey dinner on New Year’s Day but that’s in the past now too! We eat enough over Christmas!

Happy New Year to you & your family!

Tami – so hope that back gets back to normal or close to it soon – no fun for sure – HUGS!!!!!

We are “old” too. I can’t even remember the last time I made it to midnight! I have to be out to do that & we usually are not.. once I hit the couch, all bets are off! ;-)

Have a great one & get better soon!

Can’t wait to try this soup. I’ve got a whole list of new soup recipes to try.

This is the first year in over a decade that we haven’t been in Florida for the New Year so got invited to several parties. Turned every one of them down for the opportunity to nest in our own cozy den. Probably will watch “It’s A Wonderful Life” as someone we’ve gotten through the season without watching it and being reminded of its message is one of our traditions.

Looking forward to new recipes and getting to know you even better in 2012.

9. The Candid RD (Gina) says:

I haven’t had enough soup yet this year! This one is right up my alley. It could be called “cruciferous soup” haha
    Yea, we stay up until 12pm, and even past. I don’t know how I manage to do that, considering I typically sleep at 10om on other days, but I do!
    Happy new year :)

I love making soups with roasted veggies. This sounds wonderful!

I’m just catching up after being gone. Sorry about your back pain! Glad you are getting better!

We don’t have an NYE plans, and I’m pretty sure I won’t be staying up until midnight…

Wishing you a happy and healthy 2012!

I’ll be going to Cedar Key, a small fishing village on the west coast of Florida. Don’t be fooled by the size or location, the sunsets over the water are fabulous, and the small population are party animals :-)

Glad you are almost better!

12. Marisa @ Loser for Life says:

Glad your back is feeling better, Tami!

Enjoy your New Year’s “in”! I would love to do that, but we have a family party to go to. Me = party pooper! HA!!

13. Jenn Barley says:

I am so happy I found your site — I love healthy recipes and tring new foods. Have a great 2012.

14. erica says:

This look amazing! I have been on such a soap kick lately that I am definitely going to need to make this! xo