Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

This is not your mama’s cookie recipe! After seeing this recipe (that contains an unusual dessert ingredient) on Chocolate Covered Katie’s blog I knew I wanted to make it. But it is huge and makes 16 servings so I was waiting for an opportunity to share it with a crowd. When we were invited to some friends house for dinner last night and I was asked to bring dessert I knew just what to make! Are you ready for this? It is made with two cans of beans! Yep, you read that correctly – canned beans. You’ve probably seen the black bean brownie recipes floating around for some time now. Chocolate Covered Katie took that concept and made it even better. Check out her blog and enjoy her creativity when it comes to making treats healthier. She also specializes in making some single serving muffins, cakes and frozen treats.

What you really want to know at this point is, how does it taste? Amazing, incredible, decadent, super delicious – need I say more?

One of our friends can’t have wheat, gluten, corn, dairy, soy or eggs so I told everyone that this was a special recipe that met her dietary requirements. I didn’t reveal the secret ingredient until after they oohed and aahed over how delicious it was. The hosting couple even asked if I would leave them a couple pieces for breakfast today! They aren’t the ones on the special diet either. I’m telling you, this dessert is a keeper. The teenager in attendance had seconds even after learning it contained beans. You have to make this and try it for yourself. It is ooey – gooey just like you want a cookie pie to be.

After reading reviews of this recipe I decided to make it using one can of garbanzo beans and one can of white beans. The garbanzo beans give it some body but they are stronger flavored so pairing it with one can of white beans helps to keep it from tasting beany. I like to use the Ghirardelli dark chocolate baking chips but use your favorite chip. I think the addition of nuts would be awesome.

Why bother baking with beans? Well, if you are going to indulge in a sweet treat why not try to make it a little healthier and increase it’s nutritional benefits. Let’s be real here, the beans don’t make this a health food but at least you can feel a little bit better about indulging in a treat made this way. This recipe does contain a lot of sugar so if you are use to eating less sweet treats you could easily cut back on the sugar or swap it out for some NuNaturals Baking Stevia Blend. I might try that next time. It would cut way down on the calories.

Speaking of calories when I compared the nutrtional data for 1/16th of Katie’s recipe against 1/16th of the Toll House Cookie recipe here is how it looked;

Katie’s Cookie / Toll House

• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
  • 1  1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10 inch spring form pan with non stick spray.

Blend everything except chocolate chips, very well in a food proccesor. This takes a few minutes, it will look like a loose, wet cookie dough. Stir the chips into the batter. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 35 -45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Mine took 45 minutes.

Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cut into 16 wedges. Enjoy!

Yield: 16 servings

Per Serving;  Calories 228, (calories from fat 24%) Total fat 6.54 g, Sat fat, 2.2g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 181.74mg, Total Carbs 40.52g, Fiber 3.17g, Protein 4.35g  WWPP  6

Note: : If you make 1/4 of the recipe you can put it in a mini springform pan for a baby pie.

Recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie

Over the weekend some progress was made in decorating for Christmas. The fireplace mantel and other greeenery around the house is in place. The Christmas tree is up but not yet decorated. We need a new wreath for the front door so I will go look for that today and try to get the ornaments on the tree. Here is a link to my post last year about our Holiday Sparkle. Hubby Tom hasn’t had time yet to do the outside lights so that might not even happen this year. Christmas cards have been purchased so now they can go on the list of things to do. A little bit of Christmas shopping has been done so now I don’t feel quite so behind. :) There might even be enough time in the schedule to make some food gifts like my favorite Healthy Granola packed into cute little jars.

It’s important to remember to take time to breath and relax this time of year and try to enjoy the season even though most of us are super busy.

Wishing you a fabulous week!

Do you send Holiday Cards?

Do you give homemade food gifts?

Perhaps I should do a post about sweet and savory food gifts, what do you think?

1. Kiri W. says:

I do send holiday cards, but only to those close people I don’t get to see (since I am married to an American, either the German or the American part of the family gets cards!). I do give food gifts, and they are received well, thought it always ends up being cookies or jarred items. I’d love some different ideas!
    Holy cow, that looks beyond delicious. I have never tried a cookie pie/cookie pizza, but every time I see one, I about die with desire!

2. Lori says:

I wonder if you could do that as cookies instead of a pie? I have trouble with pie and portions LOL!

I have had bean brownies before and they taste fine to me.
    We do give homemade food gifts. Usually jam or nut butter. My husband is also known for his fudge and will get requests to make that for the holidays.

Lori the batter/dough was a little loose and soft but I think if you chilled it for a while in the refrigerator first it would work fine for cookies. Jam or nut butter sounds wonderful – put me on your list! :)

I’ve got dozens of these bean-swap recipes bookmarked, but so far I’ve only made a couple. In more traditional recipes, I can usually cut way back on sugar, but for these beany recipes, I think the sweetness is the saving grace. :)

I give homemade sweet treats to a few folks at Christmas. In fact, that reminds me that I need to finalize my list of this year’s treats!

That looks amazing Tami! I have a lot of tummy probs with beans though! ;-) I love the NuNaturals fiber baking blend so I have that in the house. I am like Lori with wanting it as cookies – me & my cookies! ;-)

I am not the best baker or cook so no, I don’t do that. I do love sending cards but money is so tight & with cards & stamps & all that, I just can’t so I will have to send online greetings.

I can’t wait to see pics of your decorations for this year. No matter what, I bet they will be beautiful!

Sending cards is expensive these days Jody. With all of the social networking I think more and more people are skipping mailing cards.

5. Dawn says:

Too funny. I just made this too! I did the pumpkin one and put dried fruit. I also made the chocolate chip one afterwards. Canned chickpeas definitely made the second cake less dense/more moist.

6. Ann says:

I’d love a post about food gifts. The last few years I’ve done my Christmas candy and given that as gifts, but I doubt I have time this year. Maybe just fudge as it doesn’t take long or the crockpot peanut clusters as they are quick and easy. But there’s no way I’ll have time for much of the rest of the more complicated ones. We’ll see. As far as cards…sometimes yes, sometimes no. Now with facebook and “talking” to most everyone all the time, it seems less relevant, but I still like to get them so I try to send them at least every other year or so.

I like the idea of sending cards every other year! It is fun to get cards and get caught up on the lives of friends who live far away. It seems like people are just too busy any more to do cards. Wow Ann I don’t know how you find time to do all the things you do. I am sure no one expects you to make food gifts so what a nice surprise that you do!

7. Kim says:

you had me with chocolate…..until I heard about the beans……just don’t think I can try this recipe…..and this may be the first one you have posted that I have said I will pass on. I just don’t like beans and even the thought or knowing the texture is in there I am going to pass. Although I think the granola in cute little jars sounds great…..where do you buy your jars…do you get them some place special. Looking for a healthy gift to make versus the oodles and oodles of cookies we have made in the past and given away. I also have two boys that have taken up wrestling and need to watch their weight…..will be nice to have someone other than me watching their weight this holiday season!

LOL! Oh Kim, you just have to get past the thought that there are beans in this dish-it’s so delicious you would never know what they are made from. The granola makes a great gift. I find containers at Target, Walmart and Cost Plus. I do find that people appreciated getting a less sweet food item this time of year. There is already so much sugary stuff everywhere that something savory is quite welcome.

What a cool cookie pie! Glad everyone enjoyed it so much!

Yes, it’s so important to slow down enough to enjoy the season!!! It’s not so much about getting everything done as it is about enjoying whatever we choose to do.

I’m in the middle of writing our holiday cards. We aren’t doing many gifts, and I only have to get a few more things.

I’d love a post about food gifts!

9. Gina (The Candid RD) says:

Brilliant idea not to tell everyone the secret ingredient until AFTER they tried it. Because then they would have had the chance to have an unbiased taste :) I always wait until after to reveal the news. Muahaha
    Thanks for the recipe, I may have to try it myself! I mean, 3 grams of fiber..in a cookie?! I do give food gifts, but it’s typically my homemade granola or some type of butter like pumpkin butter.

10. Jan says:

Gosh, Tami – this is food p0rn for me . LOL But it looks divine.

I send holiday cards about every 5th year :-) Because I am trying to de-emphasize food in my life, I don’t give food gifts except to our local community food bank.

11. Phillys says:

I have two questions about the cookie pie. What is your best guestimate on how long to process the ingredients? Does it have to be refrigerated? I am looking forward to making it!

Thanks!
    Phillys

Well honestly, I didn’t time how long I ran the food processor, I have a smaller food processor so it might have taken longer than a big one would. I wish I had taken note of that perhaps it was 3-4 minutes I really don’t know! You will be able to tell when it’s done as the beans will have become smoothly incorporated with the rest of the ingredients. Of course the oatmeal will still be visible. I would refrigerate the leftovers to be on the safe side. Let me know what you think of it Phillys.

12. Phillys says:

I have made the pie twice, and it was a hit! We like it warm!