Chicken Vegetable Soup Weight Watchers PP 3

The other day I was browsing through my old recipe box and came across a soup recipe that was given to me years ago by a sweet elderly lady at our church.  Immediately I remembered how delicious it was and I wanted to make it again. Only problem was I didn’t have the “secret” ingredient in my pantry that gives it so much flavor. After a trip to the grocery store I was all set to make a huge batch of Chicken Vegetable Soup!

I made a few change like using chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs, rutabagas instead of potatoes, added a couple of leeks and since I didn’t read the recipe correctly I only had one bag of frozen mixed vegetables instead of two. However, I didn’t change the secret ingredient that gives this soup so much flavor – Low Sodium V8 juice! Have you ever used it in soup? It adds so much flavor not to mention tons of nutrients.

Chicken Vegetable Soup

• 2 tsp olive oil
  • 12 ounces chicken breast — cooked – shredded
  • 2 cups rutabagas –peeled, cubed
  • 4 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 leeks, white only, chopped
  • 1/4 head cabbage, chopped
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 4 -5 cups chicken broth
  • 32 ounces Tomato and vegetable juice, low sodium V8
  • 16 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (original recipe called for 32 ounces and I may try that next time)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. In a large Dutch oven over medium heat add the oil, onions, celery, leeks and cabbage and sauté until vegetables are soft. About 10-12 minutes.

2. Add rutabagas, 4 cups chicken broth, V-8 juice, herbs and chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook until rutabagas are fork tender, about 30 – 40 minutes.

3. Stir in the frozen mixed vegetables and continue to simmer until vegetables are cooked. If soup is a little thick add the additional cup of broth. Remove bay leaf, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and serve.

Yield: 14 cups      Serving size: 1/14 of a recipe (8.7 ounces) a hefty cup full.

Calories 114.47, Calories From Fat (18%) 20.5, Total Fat 2.29g, Saturated Fat 0.52g, Cholesterol 20.66mg, Sodium 306.29mg, Total Carbohydrates 12.72 , Fiber 3.19g, Sugar 4.95g, Protein 11.11g 22% WWPP 3

Adapted from a recipe given to me by Lillith.

We had quite an adventure over the weekend but I don’t have time to write about it this morning! I will share the story with you all later in the week.

It is cold and rainy here – perfect weather for soup and stew!

Make it a great Monday!

Have you ever used V8 juice in cooking?

Do you like to drink V8?

1. Kiri W. says:

Nope, never used V8 juice, in fact, I’ve never even tried it – I didn’t grow up with it in Germany. The soup looks very tasty!

2. Leslie says:

This looks great. I’ve used V8 juice in soup for a long time – taught by my mother in law! Yesterday I made a big pot of beef vegetable soup (hubby LOVES beef and I almost never use it anymore so I decided to throw him a bone!). I use a combination of V8 and Kitchen Basics beef broth, and it’s delicious. I will definitely try this one. Also – I’ll look back and see which soup recipe I was going to send you and get on it!

Leslie I bet you are an awesome cook! Your soup sounds yummy!

I remember using V8 juice in soups and stews years ago! But I have totally forgotten about it… The soup looks delicious and is perfect for the cold and rainy weather!

Have a great week!

Soup looks delicious and perfect comfort food! I have used V-8 in cooking and I had a small glass of it with my lunch today…love it!!!

You’ve caused me to take a walk down memory lane……..when we got married in 1977, we had very little money for eating out and I had zero skills in the kitchen. Somewhere I found a recipe the simplest soup in the world and it became one of our staples to this very day. Brown 1 lb ground beef in a dutch oven, throw in a bag of mixed vegetables, a 48 oz can of V-8 juice and a packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix. Heat through and simmer until you are ready to eat!!! It is delicious! And one of those that is better on day two than day one. It provided many a healthy meal for us when we couldn’t afford much else.

Sharon thank you for sharing your story. You know we have so many similarities in that we married young, we got married in 1979 and had little money and a tight budget too. That soup recipe sounds delicious and I am going to have to give it a try. Soup is a great way to stretch the food budget.

I have never had a V8 in my life!! So…. sounds like it would work though! :-) Well, it did!

I am going to rely on you to cook for me when I get rich! ;-) That looks delish! Cold & rainy here too so yes, soup is perfect!!!!

Can’t wait to hear about the adventure!

Jody is we lived closer I would cook for you in a minute! I hope you are doing well and your dental procedures are going well.

7. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

great minds Tami! I posted a soup recipe today too!

I have never used V8, but I think it would be a GREAT addition to any tomatoish soup! What a great idea! This soup looks so warm and inviting! I want a bowl right now!!

Renee I think we often are on the same wave length with our cooking and menu planning. I saw your soup recipe today and loved the lemon in it. Happy Souping!

8. Kim says:

Could I put this in the crockpot to cook? And if so for how long…..especially since the chicken will already be cooked.

I think it would be done in about 3-4 hours on high depending on how hot your slow cooker is. I would still saute the vegetables as the recipe states as I think it adds a lot of flavor and then the rutabagas need to cook until soft which will take a couple of hours or so in the slow cooker.

9. Kim says:

10. Ann says:

I HATE V8 juice so I never drink the stuff. I’ve never thought of using it to cook. That soup looks great! I tagged you in a post today on my blog :)

Ann V8 juice really is tasty and only 50 calories per 8 ounces!

I’ve used V-8 in beef stew before, but never in a soup – duh! It looks delicious – not sure I’ve ever had a rutabaga, I might like them in a soup!

12. Tish says:

The original recipe for my hamburger soup called for V-8 (one of those huge cans of it), but I stopped using it because of the high sodium. I’ll have to try it with the low sodium. I do like the taste of V8 but almost never buy it. Still remember their advertisements, “I could’a had a V-8!”

Tish I really like the low sodium juice it’s very tasty!

Two comments:

One, I can do this all veggie :-)

Two) Paula Deen needs to make you her side-kick on TV to show her audience how to healthify her cooking! Tami Deen, her long lost cousin from her West coast relations :-)

LOL! Well now, this sounds like fun to me Dr J!