Mock Apple Pie Ala-Mode / Weigh In Week 4

I wanted something hot for breakfast the other morning but it was a lower carb day so oatmeal was not on my food plan. I didn’t want an egg for breakfast so I came up with this Mock hot apple pie Ala-mode and it was warm, satisfying and just the right amount of comfort to get my day off to a good start! The Chia seeds added a little “crunch” making this even more fun to eat!

Mock Apple Pie Ala-Mode

• 1 apple, cored and chopped
  • 1/4 tbs ground cinnamon
  • freshly grated nutmeg
  • 6 ounces Fage fat free Greek Yogurt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • sweetener of choice
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds

1. In a microwave safe bowl combine the chopped apple with cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until soft, the amount of time will depend on your microwave, it takes about 2 minutes in mine.

2. While apple is cooking, in a small bowl combine yogurt, sweetener, cinnamon and vanilla extract.

3. After removing apple from microwave top it with yogurt mixture and sprinkle with chia seeds.

Servings: 1

Amount Per Serving

Calories 247.11 Total Fat 4.77g,Saturated Fat 0.05g,Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 65.38mg,Potassium 159.64mg,Total Carbohydrates 34.96g,Fiber 10.69g,Sugar 21.21g, Protein 20.7g

A Nutmeg Notebook Recipe

Chia seeds are about the size of sesame seeds and can be found in health food stores. These little seeds are a powerhouse of good nutrition. They are a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids and are packed with fiber – 6g of dietary fiber in just 1 tablespoon! Sprinkle them on a salad, a bowl of cut up fruit salad, add them to yogurt or oatmeal. The soaked seeds are gelatinous in texture so they can be used to make puddings and such. If you toss some chia seeds in your smoothies and let them sit for a bit they get all plumped up and make the smoothie thicker. I have read that they can also be used in baked goods but I haven’t’ tried that yet. I find that a teaspoon of chia seeds is just right for a crunchy little topping. They do get caught in your teeth so be prepared to brush and floss after eating them! :)

Chia Seeds Nutritional Information

Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon

Calories 70, total fat 4.5g, cholesterol omg, sodium omg, total carbs 7g, dietary fiber 6g, sugars 0g, protein 3g.

I also posted this new breakfast recipe for Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Yogurt that I came up with on Saturday. I put it in a to go container for our hike. The frozen blueberries kept the yogurt nice and cold. By the time we stopped to eat our lunch the berries had thawed and I thought it was the perfect addition to my lunch! You could even add a scoop of protein powder to the yogurt -oatmeal combination to boost the protein. I have made it a couple more times this week for breakfast and it’s so delicious! Great for cylce 2 of the 17 Day Diet or for Weight Watchers.

Frustration!

I have had a terrible time trying to get this post up today. Word press has not been cooperating and I had the post half done when it magically disappeared and I could not retrieve it!  My camera was acting up when I was trying to snap a few simple shots of the chia seeds. My Internet connection was acting strange and everything was loading slowly. All of this when I am trying to cut down on the amount of time spent blogging!

Weighing In Week 4

I decided to weigh in today since I won’t be posting tomorrow and that would be my normal weigh in. I hopped on the scale this morning and I am so happy to report that I am down 1.2 pounds on the scale since last Friday. That is a total of 7.4 pounds gone in what will be 4 weeks tomorrow on The 17 Day Diet! The crazy fluctuation of the numbers on the scale has been a bit unsettling. All the more reason not to get on the scale too often. I did go clothes shopping yesterday and I was pretty happy with how things were fitting in the dressing room. I still have some more pounds drop and those last pounds are the ones that result in the biggest changes!

Tracking Food & Exercise

I have started tracking my food and exercise using My Fitness Pal – its free and can be used on your computer or there is a free iPad app. You get to see how your food breaks down into carbs, fat and protein. Its very easy to use. I discovered that on most days on the 17 DD I have only been getting around 1000 calories (except for our hike last Sunday I had 1300) and I know that’s not enough food. Then when I add in my exercise I can see that I should be consuming more calories given how active I am. During the week I walk outside on average 18 miles plus our 9-13 mile hikes on the weekends, we live in a two story house and I am up down those stairs countless times during the day and spend most of the day on my feet. (The exception being blogging time on the computer)

I decided to up my protein a bit so I have been adding a couple scoops of protein powder to my Kefir Smoothies. At dinner I am taking a larger portion of protein than my usual 4 ounces – going for 8 ounces of fish or 6 ounces of chicken. I will do this for a week and see what happens to my weight loss. So far so good on this food plan. I like it!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Have you tried Chia Seeds?

Do you track your food and exericise?

1. Lori says:

Great job on the loss! You are doing great on that program.

I have yet to try chia seeds. I don’t really think I want to, either LOL!

I track my food and exercise pretty religiously. It’s just habit now.

Thank you Lori! Tracking does become a habit. I have always kept a food journal off and on but never really got into tracking electronically until now.

YES to the weight loss!!! Congrats!

I love your recipes!! I a one to always add protein powder to everything – just me & liking a bit more protein than most due to age & weight lifting! AND, yes I tend to eat larger portions of protein too! :-) I know you drink water but just keep that up as you intake more water….

I have added chia seeds in after MizFit’s posts & love them.. I use them & flax – like to still use both & I actually mix both into my PB now instead of just flax…

Thanks Jody! Great idea to add the chia and flax to peanut butter! I am going to try that!

I know I’m not doing anything equal to your weight lifiting but I think with our hiking I am creating a lot of leg muscle and I think I need more protein now! We shall see how it all works out.

Your “pie” looks great….will have to get some FF yogurt!

I’ve never tried chia seeds but I saw today that we can now buy a Gluten Free Chia Bread..I hope to try it soon.

Yes I do track food and exercise though the exercise has been scarce lately!

Congratulations on your weight loss…you’re doing great!

Thank you Carol. That bread sounds good!

Great job on the loss! Hope adjusting your calories/protein a bit will make things even better!

And I like your new breakfasts!

I do track all my exercise, which helps me mix things up enough and to get enough weight workouts in. As far as food goes, I keep “loosely” track in my head… :)

6. Leslie says:

Great work on the loss! Sounds like the 17 Day plan is a good one for you. And your recipes look great! (Like they always do :) )

Thanks Leslie!

Seems like you’ve found a plan that is working well for you – but stay off the scale! I just don’t get weighing more than once a week, especially when trying to lose weight. Daily fluctuations happen for a fact. They can make a person crazy if not prepared to see up a pound, down a pound. By waiting to weigh you see the overall picture which is much more important than the daily ups and downs.

“By waiting to weigh you see the overall picture which is much more important than the daily ups and downs.” So true Helen but it is good to know that you have normal ups and downs through out the week so even if you only weigh once a week you need to keep in mind that it could be a day where you will see a higher number on the scale. I try to look at the average for a week or two. I know that I will see a higher number on the scale after hiking or doing a weight work out.

Yep. I learned about them from my “diet” forum a couple years ago. I’ve had them in a “milkshake” (which has no ice cream and is low-cal and low-carb) and in yogurt and I tried them recently in my (also low-carb and low-cal and high protein) “pancakes.” My husband has been faithfully eating them in his oatmeal daily since I first got them.

Lots of good ways to use the Chia seeds Karen.

9. Racheal @ Running with Racheal says:

I love chia seeds. I have been putting them in my smoothies and on my oatmeal. They do always get stuck in my teeth though. :)

10. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

Do you know I have a package of Chia seeds sitting in my pantry that I have yet to really do anything with? They are a bit high on the calories…I think that discouraged me from using them too much. But I know they are good for you and absorb liquid in your gut to help make you feel fuller, not to mention all the health benefits. I have heard they can replace egg and oil in baking recipes, but like you, have yet to try. I got a huge bag at costco for $6, which I thought was a steal:)

Good job sticking with the plan and making it work for you!

I look forward to reading about your laughing cow recipe soon! I think that was one of the funnest promos I have done yet! :)

Give them a try Renee they are so good!

11. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

You are doing beautifully Tami. Way to go!!!!! Hope your weekend is wonderful.

Thanks Roz!

Glad to see you really getting into the program!

I have nothing good to say about WordPress! No way to reach them when there are issues either. If I behaved like WordPress I would be spending all my time answering malpractice suits!