Gluten Free Banana Bread Pudding / A Rainy Hike

Last week when I posted about the Chocolate Fudge Protein Muffin it appeared from your comments that I am not alone in enjoying single serving treats!  I love them because they are made from healthy ingredients, only take a few minutes to make and contain just enough sweetness to satisfy me with out sending me on a sugar high.

Helen left me a message about Lori’s @ Finding Radiance, Banana Bread Pudding recipe - which I had actually made before starting the 17 Day Diet Food Plan but I ate it with out taking a photo so I couldn’t blog about it! I made two of them yesterday morning one for me and one for Katy. I love it best hot out of the oven. The first time I made this I microwaved it. This time I made it in the oven. Lori said it is better baked in the oven and I agree but if short on time I would make it in the microwave again. It’s sweet and well, kind of like a bread pudding, warm, soft and moist just like a comfort food should be. I also sprinkled mine with a teaspoon of chopped walnuts! Delicious! This works well for me as breakfast on my higher carb days. Very filling.

Breakfast Banana Bread Pudding

•  6 tablespoons All Whites — or 2 egg whites – or 2 TBLS ground flax seeds mixed with 6 TBLS water
  • 1 small 6 inch ripe banana -the  more ripe – the sweeter it will be- the bigger the banana the more calories it is
  • 2 tablespoons Bob’s Red Mill Organic coconut flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • freshly grated nutmeg –optional– but oh so good
  • sweetener of choice –optional — I like NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia Drops
  • 1 teaspoon chopped walnuts if desired
  • a little bit of vanilla extract if you don’t use NuNaturals Vanilla Stevia Drops

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mash the banana until it is liquidy. The riper the banana the better.

2. Then add the egg whites, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, coconut flour, sweetener or vanilla extract if desired.

3. Mix well to combine.

4. Pour into a small baking dish (like a single serving casserole) sprayed with non stick spray, sprinkle with chopped nuts if using and dust with a little more cinnamon, bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Now if you are short on time you can microwave this for a couple minutes.

My Nutritional Information is based on the brands of ingredients I used and it does differ slightly from Lori’s.

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving without walnuts

Calories 202.11, Calories From Fat 21.49, Total Fat 2.34g, Saturated Fat 2.12g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 302.98mg, Potassium 514.61mg, Total Carbohydrates 31.91g, Fiber 7.97g, Sugar 13.37g, Protein 13.13g WWPP 5

Amount Per Servings including 1 teaspoon chopped walnuts.

Calories 218.45, Calories From Fat 35.12,Total Fat 3.97g, Saturated Fat 2.27g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 303.02mg, Potassium 525.63mg, Total Carbohydrates 32.25g, Fiber 8.14g, Sugar 13.43g, Protein 13.51g WWPP 5

Recipe Adapted From; Lori@Finding Raidiance

Thank you for all of the wonderful comments and well wishes for Katy and Esau! Your kind words and thoughts were heart warming. We feel the love!

Yesterday I spent a little time checking out the links you all gave us to wedding blogs and websites. I’m on information overload! It will take me a week or two to get organized and figure out a plan of action. Katy is knee deep in her student teaching right now so I need to get the ball rolling. I think a stop off at the book store for a wedding planning book will be a good start.

Weekend Recap

Hubby and I did manage to get out for a hike over the weekend. This was an adventure as half way through the hike the sky opened up and started to rain which quickly turned into hail! We were prepared this time with rain ponchos which helped keep us mostly dry.

I had never heard the sound of hail hitting my hat before since hail is a pretty rare event where we live. When we encountered a creek crossing where the water was over the top of the boulders that are used for crossing, we had to turn back. It was pouring rain at that time so I didn’t want to try and get my camera out for a photo – of course now that I am sitting in a warm dry house I wish I had that photo!

We hiked around 6.42 miles and it took us 3 hours and 48 minutes. This shorter hike was easy, it’s amazing how quickly the body adapts and gets stronger. We had fun Saturday and then had to spend Sunday doing tax prep! We are still up to our necks in paperwork!

The 17 Day Diet is going well – I wish it wasn’t called a “diet” because it really is a lifestyle and a way to eat. I love the carb cycling! I am also reading another book about carb cycling that I actually bought before I chose to go with the 17DD. It offers more information about carb cycling and why it works. I will try to share more about that in another post.

I have to get my weight resistance work out done and walk 3 miles outside since the sun has decided to shine! I try to do something healthy for my body everyday! My weekly goal is to walk at least 18 miles. Recently I have added the weekly goal of two resistance training work outs. So far so good!

What are you doing that is healthy for your body today?

Do you have exercise goals?

1. Lori says:

Glad you like the recipe! This is one of my go-to breakfasts!

It’s so fantastic Lori! Thank you for creating it!

2. Veronica says:

I came up with a “breakfast pudding” for higher carb days but it isn’t nearly as lovely as this (it was worth eating once, but not again-lol). I’m so making this! Great idea, and I love that there’s coconut flour in it. I won a bag and haven’t opened it yet. We get lots of hail in KS, at least once every year, therefore insurance raises every year to cover the roof repairs. ayayay. I love how enthusiastic you are about healthy living. I am still not back on the 17 day diet (I will be starting the first cycle again soon, but keep putting it off), but I AM having my lemon water this morning (er, afternoon. it’s my morning, anyway). Since I haven’t made any bad food choices yet, I guess I will decide right now that I’m going to have a healthy breakfast! Have a great day. :)

Veronica I hope today is the day that you start making healthy choices again. :)

It can be so difficult to commit to that first day back on track. Once you get day one finished, you can build momentum!

Wishing you all the best with cycle one!

Love the recipes & yes, Lori has great ones!!!

So glad you got a hike in no matter what – you go Tami!

I love that this diet is now a lifestyle for you & you can always modify as needed! :-)

Today I already had a great workout & decent weather for a couple days here so I went out & will be headed out again to enjoy time away from the computer! :-) As my post today said 0 trying to be present so I will be off here soon! ;-)

It is a lifestyle Jody. The higher and lower carb days give me the flexibility to enjoy a variety of foods without messing with my blood sugar and carb cravings.

It was nice here today too so I enjoyed my walk outside and even had some time to spend on the patio visiting with son David! :)

Glad you got out and enjoyed the good weather too. :) Too much computer time isn’t good for anyone.

Can’t wait to hear about that book. What is the title? I’m certain I’m going to want to read it. Also am interested (don’t think I’ve missed this) in where you are with the 17DD now. Have you moved on to Cycle 4 or “living” in one of the others? Just curious!

I’ve hiked in lots of weather conditions, but don’t believe hail is one of them! You’ve become a real mountain woman. Time for you and hubs to make a trip to Tennessee!

Hi Sharon,

The name of the book is “Choose To Lose” The 7 day carb cycle solution, by Chris Powell.

His plan is all about carb cycling but it is structured a little differently. He goes into more detail about the reasons why carb cycling works. I have found it to be interesting and the more information we have the better we can do come maintenance rightr?

I am doing great on the 17 DD – thanks for asking. Down 9.8 pounds. Since I am not at my goal yet- remember I am a slow loser! – I have chosen to continue with alternating high and low carb days but I am choosing foods from the cycle 3 list so that I have a wide variety of foods to choose from and it makes being able to eat out once in a while much easier. I am enjoying how easy this food plan is and I feel great!

I will weigh in Friday morning and that will be week 8 for me. I have averaged about 1.4 pounds lost per week, so for me that is awesome! :)

“Mountain Woman” that makes laugh! :) We won’t be traveling too far from home this year since we have a wedding to plan. See the previous post – our daughter Katy became engaged over the weekend!

How is your weight loss going? We need to catch up!

I have Lori’s recipe bookmarked and plan to make it with coconut flour but also to try it with peanut flour to indulge my love for pb and banana. :) I’m thinking it might also be nice to try carmelizing the bananas a bit in some coconut oil. We’ll see how that turns out. LOL

6. Jane says:

Wow – you hiked 6 miles, and only made it halfway? :) Nice! I love going for hikes, we have one planned later this week! The hail looks crazy!

I’m glad you made that, it’s one of my favorite breakfasts when I need some extra oomph! I actually like it best when the banana I’m going to use has been frozen. Then I quickly thaw it in the microwave and squeeze it out into the bowl. It mashes better and tastes sweeter, I think. I have never ever put sweetner in mine not do I top it with anything, I love it just the way it is. Although I will admit I have a thought of making it with chocolate chips one day and eating it as a dessert :D

8. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

You know you’re strong when you consider a 6+ mile hike to be “short”! Go Tami! +1000 points for doing it in the hail! :D