Paleo Almond Butter Breakfast Bread / Weigh In Week 8 of The 17 Day Diet

I don’t follow a Paleo diet (think cave man food) but I have found that some of the Paleo diet recipes fit well into my food plan for lower carb days. When I spotted the Paleo Breakfast Bread recipe on Elana’s Pantry  I wanted to give it a try. I have made a few of her recipes and all have turned out wonderful. This one was a hit as well! It’s made with wholesome ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen right now.

Before I work out in the mornings I like to nibble on a little something after I have my coffee but I don’t want to exercise on a full tummy. All I  need is a small serving of a healthy item that will hold me until I have my smoothie. This little gem is just the ticket with it’s healthy fats, protein and a little fiber. It is moist with a strong cinnamon flavor and has a cake like texture. Katy and I both thought it was delicious.

The recipe says this makes 4 servings but I cut it into 8 and you could even cut it into 16 smaller snack size nibbles!

Paleo Breakfast Bread

• ½ cup creamy almond butter
  • 2 tablespoons flax seeds ground mixed with 6 tablespoons water or 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbs honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ¼ tsp  sea salt
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • 1 Tbs cinnamon

1. In a large bowl, with a hand blender, mix almond butter until creamy.

2. Mix in eggs, honey and vanilla.

3. Add salt, baking soda and cinnamon.

4. Mix well with hand blender until all ingredients are combined

5. Transfer batter into a well greased 8×8 inch baking dish.

6. Bake at 325° for 12 to 15 minutes

Servings: 8

Nutrition Facts

Serving size: 1/8 of a recipe (1.2 ounces).

Amount Per Serving

Calories 133.69,Total Fat 9.87g Saturated Fat 1.04g Cholesterol 46.5mg Sodium 149.78mg Potassium 141.83mg Total Carbohydrates 8.21g Fiber 2.14g, Sugar 5.14g, Protein 4.9g WWPP 4

Recipe Adapted From: Elany’s Pantry

Week 8 Weigh In

I am down another 1 pound for a total of 10.8 pounds!!!!!

Slow and steady wins the race! I remember when I use to be able to drop 10 pounds in one month with out exercising! Even as much as I exercise and watch what I eat the weight just comes off so slowly. I am not complaining about it – at least the weight is coming off, my body is firming up and I feel healthier. I share this so that if you are also a slow loser you don’t throw in the towel just because it takes longer to see results. It doesn’t matter how long it takes to get to your happy weight, what matter is that you get there in a healthy way.

I am not at my goal yet but very close so, since I still need to lose some pounds I am sticking with the carb cycling between the 17DD Cycle 1 and Cycle 2 but using foods from the cycle 3 list so that I have lots of food variety to choose from. That means that one day I have a higher carb day followed by a day of lower carb foods. I find that I really don’t want bread or pasta. On  my higher carb day I usually go for oatmeal, a fresh sweet potato or a small serving of popcorn.

It seems to be working for me. Of course I have tweaked the plan to fit my needs. I don’t always have my fruit before 2:00pm – that just isn’t realistic for me. I am super active and sometimes I need a piece of fruit for a snack after dinner.

For instance yesterday I went for a second 3 mile walk after dinner with daughter Katy. That made a total of 6 miles for the day. Love that! When we got back I figured up my food for the day and I was only at 1000 calories and hadn’t had my second fruit serving yet. I opted for an apple and a little bowl of popcorn to get up around 1200 calories. Even though you don’t need to count calories on the 17 DD I do keep track because all too often I end up under 1200 calories which isn’t healthy. I use a free on line service called My Fitness Pal that calculates calories and other nutritional information. You can use this to track your food, exercise and your weight right from your computer. It’s super easy to use. There is also an iPad /iPhone app. I  love it!

Filling up on less

When you eat all healthy food it doesn’t take as much of it to fill you up and your body is satisfied so you don’t want more. Isn’t that awesome? Of course that doesn’t mean that I don’t sometimes want food for an emotional comfort – yes that does sometimes happen. A cup of hot tea, a glass of water or walk outside usually help get me past that. The “trick” is to recognize that it is an emotional response not a real “need” for food. I am a work in progress!

Enjoy your weekend!

Are you an emotional eater? What do you do stop yourself from seeking comfort from food?

How’s your food plan going? Are you ready to bare your skin in Spring/Summer clothes?

1 ping

Congratulations Tami, you’re doing great!
    Like the looks of this recipe..I am going to try a lower carb diet and these just might work!! I am at a standstill with WW!
    No skin-bearing here! :) :)

Tami – love that recipe! I am so happy you found “your lifestyle” plan!!! I am all in agreement for modifying to meet your needs!!! :-)

As we both know, age really is a tough thing on the bod. Unlike you, it has always been hard for me to lose weight even when I was young but age is absolutely craziness!!! ;-)

I am going thru another hormone stage right now with them fighting me. I already do so much “right” that I have to decide how much I want to do or just be the way I am.. meaning not letting myself go by any means but giving up way too much to enjoy life. I look fine but it is just not what it was 6 months ago. In the past, these times have passed – sometimes in a couple months & other times in 6 months – so we will just have to see… I know you understand!

I am an emotional eater so I have just had to adapt to things that work for me.. they might not work for others but they do for me. And then there are those times I just eat an extra cookie! ;-)

3. Cammy-TippyToeDiet says:

Like you, I don’t follow a Paleo eating plan, but the Paleo-centric websites and blogs are awesome recipe resources.

Can’t wait to try this bread. I may try subbing my homemade (no sugar) applesauce for the honey and see how that works.

Your way of working with the Cycles as a lifestyle way of eating is very similar to mine. Actually I can very easily stick with only the foods on cycle 1 and cycle 2. On occasion, I choose a fruit selection from cycle 3 specifically a banana or a mango. On hiking days, I allow myself one of my homemade protein bars which contain almond butter.

Some days, it is still hard for me to believe how easily this worked for me and how well I’ve done.

Great job on the loss!

I always have to be careful with emotional eating. I think if you have ever been an emotional eater, part of that will stay always with you and you have to be extra mindful…

Have a great weekend!

Lots of Paleo recipes are not as low carb as people think, especially ones with vegetables and fruits. Sometimes at the end of the day I’m amazed at how many carbs I’ve packed in without eating grains or potatoes.

Congratulations on your steady weight loss!

7. The Candid RD (Gina) says:

This recipe sounds wonderful. I don’t really follow the paleo diet either, or at least not on purpose, but it seems like many of its philosophies are ones that I agree with (just not the elimination of certain foods….).

I love My Fitness Pal. I used it to determine my average calorie intake, and over the next several weeks I’m going to work to keep it at that, especially over the weekend! That’s my really bad time, I’m realizing. Yikes.

8. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

Yum! It’s nice to have a “bready” option without the use of any flours. I may substitute the cinnamon with cocoa powder cuz I loves me some chocolate + nut butter combos!

I used to stuff myself to the gills over every single emotion. Now I only stress eat when my husband’s out of town. Thankfully it’s not something that happens very often.

9. Jane says:

I did see that recipe when Elana posted it, but never tried it! It does sound good! I must be on the opposite end of the spectrum as you, because even though I do eat mostly healthy food, my body rarely gets to the “I don’t need more”. I struggle with emotional eating, and it is always a battle for me. I wish I could get to that point!

Good for you! Those look yummy but I don’t think I’d have portion control. Eating is going well here too. Woo hoo for us both!

11. Tish says:

Good going, Tami! Congrats on your continued success. It’s so satisfying to know you’re eating well and exercising AND losing weight! Thanks to you and Sharon, I’m using the 17DD, too and also “in the grove” for weight loss, healthy eating, and exercise.

12. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

Woo Hoo!!! Way to go Tami, you’re doing so well.

13. Yaniv says:

Just tried this recipe and wow. its really good. I used pumpkin spice as I didnt have cinnamon. Still tasted great. Thanks for the recipe.