Peanut Flour – All The Flavor Without All The Fat

A couple years ago I ordered a popular product called PB2 that is a de-fatted peanut flour with added sugar. Sadly I found it to be lacking in flavor. More recently I have seen recipes floating around that include Byrd Mill peanut flour. After unsuccessfully searching for peanut flour of any brand locally I decided to order some of Byrd Mill since it was getting such good reviews. When my package arrived I was anxious to give it a try and hoping it would live up to the reviews.

It is available in different “roasts” which affects the amount of fat and depth of flavor.

I opted for the light roast which isn’t the lowest in fat but according to the reviews it packs a big peanut flavor. It is packed with protein, healthy fat and tons of peanut flavor!

Since I had read so many awesome reviews I took the plunge and bought a 5 pound bag.

The first thing I did was mix 2 tablespoons of peanut flour with 2 tablespoons of fat free Greek yogurt until smooth. This spread was so tasty smeared on apple slices and there was plenty of it to enjoy with every bite. Love that! I was instantly won over with peanut flour.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not giving up nut butters for peanut flour. Nut butters are delicious but also hefty in calories and fat for the serving size. When you are trying to lose weight or maintain your weight every morsel counts. Sometimes I trade in a tablespoon of healthy oil for the equivalent of a nut butter. Having said all that, peanut flour will be awesome for adding that lovely peanut flavor to a variety of recipes while helping keep the calories and fat lower.

My other experiment with peanut flour so far has been to sub it for coconut flour in the delicious filling Chocolate Fudge Protein Muffin. Oh my goodness it created a wonderful peanut butter cup flavor! You have to try it.

Of course it would be wonderful tossed into a protein shake, mixed in pancake batter, made into a sauce or added to my frozen yogurt recipe.

Have you tried peanut flour? Have any recipes to share?

Do you eat nut butters?

3 pings

1. Jane says:

Very cool! I have never seen peanut flour around where I live, but I just ordered some from nuts.com! I will have to look into Byrd Mill .. never heard of them either! I love nut butters and peanut butter, and your spread looks so good!

Jane what brand did you get? I am sure there are many sources for peanut flour – sure would be nice if it was available locally as the shipping is awful!

1. Jane says:

Sorry Tami, I just saw your reply! I got it from nuts.com, but I just got it and looked at the nutritional stats, and it is 160 calories and 11 g fat for about 1/3 of a cup … I know what you mean about shipping, it can be crazy sometimes!

2. wendy says:

Would love to try it. Not 5lbs worth of love though…..wish they had smaller size options to try.
    I did try pb2 and honestly could not ever get the consistancy right and it tasted funky!

Wendy they also sell it in 1 pound bags.

Here is the link http://www.byrdmill.com/gourmet_peanut_flour

Haven’t yet tried peanut flour, but have been experimenting with several different kinds i.e. almond, oat, cocoanut. Will have to try this and I see a road trip in my future because I can actually get to Ashland, VA and as you know, I’m always up for seeing something different.

Oh Sharon how fun it would be to go to their facility! I have experimented with the almond, oat and coconut flour too. They are higher protein than regular flour and so far I like the results.

Intriguing! What’s in it? Just ground peanuts?

Karen, yes – just ground roasted peanuts no added sugar or salt.

5. Leslie says:

Thanks for this review, Tami – I currently have PB2 in my cupboard. I don’t LOVE it, but I like it enough to occasionally use it in oatmeal. Love your idea of mixing with Greek Yogurt – inspired! I think when I run out of PB2 I’ll give the Byrd Mill a try.

And I made your italian sausage in the crock pot again last week and we just savored it all week – I think of you every time I eat it.

Hi Leslie,

Great to know you love the Italian sausages in the slow cooker! That is a very popular recipe and so easy.

I didn’t love the PB2 either – just not enough flavor for me. But this stuff rocks!

Here is a link http://www.byrdmill.com/gourmet_peanut_flour

I’ve never tried peanut flour. Sounds tasty. I used to eat a bit too much nut butter as a serving is really quite small, and it’s very easy to “cheat”…. ;) I’ve therefore cut back on nut butters a lot.

I have to laugh at what you said, “It’s really very easy to “cheat” when eating a small serving of nut butter.” yes, like licking the knife! Been there and done that as well. :)

7. Racheal @ Running with Racheal says:

That protein muffin with peanut flour sounds delish! I only have PB2 right now, but I am going to try that tonight when I get home!

Did you guy the peanut flour online? I can’t wait to think of so many different things I can put it in.

As always, thank you so much for taking the time to notify us about these great products!

Hi Rachel, yes I did buy the peanut flour on line. Just couldn’t find any local source for it.

Here is a link, http://www.byrdmill.com/gourmet_peanut_flour

Tami, I have tried peanut flour from TJ’s but maybe I will search out this brand. It sounds wonderful & the substitute in your recipe – YUM! Yes, with age, we do have to try harder & harder to find ways to keep the weight off. I will not give up my nut butters BUT maybe I will try peanut flour again & maybe this brand!

Jody I never saw the peanut flour at TJ’s when they had it. This has great flavor!
      Here is a link to the web site where I bought mine.

Yes you are right, we do have to keep finding more ways to keep the weight off! The less you weigh the harder it is!

9. Lori says:

I love peanut flour! I make my protein waffles with it and use the peanut flour instead of oats.

I like peanut flour! Mostly I’ve used it for muffins and such.

I’ve still got PB2 to use up. The only thing I use it for is as a stir-in for oats.

Southern Grace Farms is another good source for peanut flour, and they have sales occasionally that help a little. (I paid more for shipping last time than I did for the peanut flour!)

11. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I’ve been using a lot of almond flour, but have never tried peanut flour. I was definitely not a fan of PB2!

12. The Candid RD (Gina) says:

Funny you posted this because I’ve been trying to get PB2 in the store where I work, with no success. Apparently you can only order it online. MAybe I’ll try this one instead!

1. Cathy B says:

Gina, a grocery store chain in my city (St. Louis) carries regular and chocolate PB2 at some of their locations, so I can confirm that it is available to stores.

Wow, that’s a lot of flour – glad you liked it! Will you store it in your freezer?? I love apples dipped in peanut butter.

I put some in a container in the pantry and the rest went into the freezer.

14. janine says:

I’m probably the only one here that actually hated the stuff. Sorry–I’m just so addicted to the real thing that nothing else satisfies. I ended up throwing it out :-( I know a lot of people DID like it though. Still–it’s just not anywhere as good in my eyes. The one I had was from Byrd Mill too.

Janine we all have different tast buds and that’s okay! The peanut flour is not a substitute for good ole peanut butter but it sure is going to be handy for adding a nice peanut butter flavor to many dishes without adding a ton of calories and fat.

15. Mary says:

I am definately going to give this product a try. I am also going to give cooking a serious try! I just wrote down your ingredients for the Raspberry Chicken recipe from 2010…..I’m heading to the grocery store momentarily.
    I continue to love your blog….It makes me want to make better choices for myself!

Hi Mary! That raspberry chicken is delicious – hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Thank you for your kind comments. :)

16. Mary says:

Make that “definitely”, not “definately”!

17. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

I’ve never heard of peanut flour…how interesting. I’ve yet to find the coconut flour, I might end up ordering it online eventually. The dip looks really good and peanutty!

Renee have you tried Bob’s Red Mill Store finder to see who in your area carries their products? Here is a link, http://www.bobsredmill.com/dealer_locator.php Do you have a Whole Foods, Sprouts or a large Health Food Store nearby?

I’m loving the peanut flour – so many good things to do with it!

18. Ellen says:

Tami, I have been WAITING for someone to post about this. I have to ask about the texture – which is the one thing that makes these substitutes a hit or miss. Is it similar to that of peanut butter or does it have more of the dry kind of texture that PB2 has?
    Thank you for your review on this. That bag is HUGE! Looking forward to more recipes; if it’s that good, you know I’ll be ordering some next :)

Hi Ellen!

I don’t think peanut flour will substitute for peanut butter if you want to spread it on something like toast – without all the natural fat it won’t have that smooth and creamy mouth feel that peanut butter has. It is good for adding to other ingredients to get the peanutbutter taste without all the fat and calories and where texture is helped by the other ingredients. Peanut flour has been roasted and defatted although the 28% that I bought is not the lowest in fat. I have not had it just mixed with water to try and create a peanutbutter type spread. I would still use a natural nut butter for that. It was awesome mixed with the Greek yogurt and created a creamy smooth peanut butter flavored spread for my apple. I have had it tossed in with my oatmeal and liked it that way too but again texture there doesn’t matter.
      Hope this helps! There are other brands available as well as smaller bags!

19. Kim says:

I just ordered some of the peanut flour. Hope you will do aost about different ways you end up using it. Also, I just bought a costco membership and would be interested in knowing what you typically buy there. I looked at your shopping lists…..but just saw Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Not that you dont have enough on your plate of things to do. Also, will you be doing an easter recipe post? Or so you have an old one? Starti g to think about the easter menu and would be interested in your thoughts.

I buy a lot of regular and Organic produce at Costco, Organic eggs, Fage fat free Greek Yogurt, frozen fish, chicken breasts, Pacific Gold beef jerky, spices, frozen shrimp, un-cured Canadian Bacon, organic butter, Annie’s olive oil with roasted garlic, almonds, walnuts, pecans and that’s all I can think of right now!

Have fun looking around and seeing what your store carries. Something’s are regional like brands of bread and so forth so our stores might not have all of the same things.

1. Low Calorie Peanut Butter Protein Bars » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[...] recently purchased some peanut flour on line from http://www.byrdmill.com. I have enjoyed adding it to smoothies, oatmeal and subbing it for [...]

2. Dark Chocolate Power Cake & Raspberry Chia Jam » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[...] good Omega 3 fats. The best part is having cake for breakfast – count me in! You can bet that peanutflour is going to find it’s way into one of these powercakes real [...]

3. Peanut Butter Chocolate Lava Cake – Single Serving Under 250 calories WWPP 6 » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[…]  1/4 cup peanut flour […]