Almond Butter with Roasted Flaxseeds / Hiking a Wet Trail

A while back I picked up this jar of Almond Butter with Roasted Flaxseeds at Trader Joe’s. Best purchase ever! I love this stuff – it’s super crunchy and salty with the amazing flavor of slightly sweet almond butter. Nut butters are high in calories and fat but it is a healthy fat and this one also has the added benefit of extra Omega 3 fats. Often times I will swap out one of my daily fat servings for a tablespoon of nut butter. It’s a great little spread for apple slices or celery. I think I like almond butter even better than peanut butter.

Here is my little trick for making nut butters go further, just put your serving of nut butter in the microwave for a few seconds and melt it. Once it is thinned out a bit you have the perfect “dipping” sauce for your apple slices or celery sticks. If you are feeling a little more adventurous add a tablespoon or two of fat free Greek yogurt and you have even more delicious nutty dip!

Be sure to check out my Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods printable Shopping list by clicking on the My Kitchen at the top of the home page. Click on the one you want from the drop down menu. All of the blue highlighted items are a link to where I talked about the product. Enjoy!

On Saturday we did manage to fit in a short hike. I wasn’t feeling great as the sinus issues were still with me and it sure showed in my lack of energy on the trail.

This is the trail head at Hoyt’s Crossing Trail. From the bridge we watched a group of guys in kayaks navigate the water. It was fascinating to see how they would line themselves up to get over ares like this. They really have to have some upper arm strength to paddle fast and furious. I think I will stick to the trails!

We made our way down to the river to have lunch.

The trail ended here for us as the water was too deep for me to cross as my hiking shoes are not waterproof! Bummer!

This late rain we have been getting has created a lot of flooding on the trails, very full waterfalls and wider and deeper streams to cross. Sunday we went to REI and I got some waterproof hiking boots. I can’t wait to try them out!

See that boulder behind hubby Tom? Well there was a 2-3 foot gap between the two boulders and he wanted to jump to the other boulder to get a better look at the waterfall below. I thought he would end up in the waterfall so I told him no way!

These lovely yellow flowers were all along the trail.

Back here at home we have our own little nature story to tell. Look closely and you can see four little baby ducks eating some grain. It was so much fun watching them run around chasing each other yesterday. They are the first baby ducks of the season.

This momma is sitting on her nest. Hubby Tom counted 8 eggs in her nest the other day. They don’t usually build their nest so out in the open. I can see her from my backyard so I will keep a watchful eye and hopefully capture some photos of her babies.

Happy Monday!

What was the highlight of your weekend?

Nut butters – do like them – what is your favorite?

How do you like to eat them – by the spoonful or another way?

1. Jane says:

Gorgeous pictures – it looks so peaceful! I don’t have a Trader Joe’s near me, but I have made this nut butter before – I love the nutty taste the flax seed gives it!

Jane – great idea to make your own. I have a Blendtec blender so I could make my own nut butter too – it’s so easy to buy it though!

2. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I prefer almond butter over peanut butter too. I’ve heard a lot of great things about the TJ’s brand with flaxseed. I’ve got a ton of flaxseed…I wonder if I can grind some up and mix it into my current almond butter…

LOL…your husband should thank you for saving his life!!! I’m glad you got some waterproof boots for next time. Nothing stopping you now! :)

Oh, I have to thank you for turning me onto those little baby bell peppers and baby kale. I’ve gone through 2 bags each of them all by myself! I’m officially addicted! I love that they go in just about every dish and are so easy to work with. Thanks for all your sharing of new food products!

Jenn,

Jane commented that she makes her own version of almond butter with flax seeds so I would try it! You are so welcome for the food ideas – love getting the feedback from you. :) The last time I was in Costco they didn’t have the baby kale – boo hoo. Hope they have it when I go again this week. I am still loving those baby peppers.

I do think I saved his life – guys are such little boys when it comes to danger!

LOVE them. Don’t buy them. Gave them all up when I gave up my last jar of PB almost 2 years ago. Ah, I wish for moderation sometimes:)

Had to smile when I saw the pic of the Almond Butter w/Flax Seed as there is an unopened jar just like it in my pantry. Got it on my recent trip to TJ’s in Atlanta. Afraid I’ll like it TOO much!! Yes, I do love nut butters!

You’ll LOVE your waterproof hiking boots. Makes hiking much easier. And don’t be afraid of them – just plow right on through mud or water. The water will literally roll right off the boot. It’s a whole lot better alternative than a sprained ankle (or worse) trying to rock hop.

5. Ilana @ChiyaMalka says:

Unfortunately, peanut butter is a huge trigger food for me and there was a time when I would sit and eat spoonfuls out of the jar until I hit the bottom! So, I try and stay away from it now or buy the all-natural, individual packets. We have a very sticky, love-hate relationship… :-/ I’m afraid almond butter would present the same predicament.

Believe it or not I haven’t ever tried almond butter. I look at it but it’s so expensive. But here’s something even stranger – even as a kid, I did not like peanut butter. I used to beg my mom to let me have a bologna sandwich with mustard in my lunch. As an adult I have come to like an occasional bit of PB but I’m not the huge fan that some people are… I’ve even thrown PB out because it has expired. I think I would like that almond butter because I do love crunch.

I have seen that almond butter at TJ’s! I actually add my own flax & chia to both the almond raw almond butter I buy & also to my crunchy & creamy no salt PB I buy at TJ’s! :-) I love the tip about melting it in the microwave!!!

What beautiful tips Tami!!! Lucky you! I hope you are feeling better too! Me, no, I would not jump! ;-)

Best aprt of the weekend – getting out of the house! With the swelling from the bone graft finally down enough, I was out & about enjoying it! :-)