Roasted Stuffed Baby Eggplant with Feta Cheese Dried Cherries & Pinenuts

I have a new love. Baby eggplants. I saw them at Sprouts and I bought them. I had no idea what I was going to do with 15 baby eggplants, but I bought them anyway. Oh my goodness they are so darn cute. They will make you smile.

Not only are these adorable but they were reasonably priced – 15 baby eggplants for $1. Each one weighs about an ounce and are about the size of a plum tomato.

As soon as I got home I had to Google (what would we do without Google?) baby eggplants and find some recipes. Inspiration came from the first recipe I found because it didn’t require peeling the eggplants.

Oven roasting is my favorite way to prepare veggies of any kind. Simply wash the eggplants, cut open, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast. Some of the best things in life are easy.

The original recipe called for goat cheese – I’m not a big fan of it so feta cheese was my swap. I always toast more nuts than what I need for a recipe and then freeze the rest for future use. I had toasted pine nuts ready to use in the freezer – what a time saver.

My sun dried tomatoes were beyond dried out and at this point I told Katy I would have to wait and stuff these later after I got some tomatoes. Well her taste buds were all fired up anticipating eating one of these so she suggested we swap some dried cherries for the sun dried tomatoes since they would have that little bit of tartness. It was a brilliant idea!

I wouldn’t change a thing. The eggplant was soft but not mushy, the feta cheese, dried cherries and pine nuts were the perfect stuffing.

A little drizzle of honey and basalmic vinegar added just the right amount of magic.

Our taste buds were happy.

Roasted Baby Eggplant with Feta Cheese, Dried Cherries and Pine Nuts

•  10 baby eggplants
  • 1 1/2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 oz Feta cheese crumbled
  • 3 Tbs dried cherries, chopped
  • 1 Tbs pine nuts, toasted
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, for garnish
  • 2 teaspoons honey, for garnish
  • fresh parsley, chopped

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non stick spray.

2. Wash eggplants and carefully slice about 3/4 through each one lengthwise, careful not to go all the way through.

3. Place eggplants on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt & pepper.

4. Roast for 20 minutes or until they start getting soft and cooked through.

5. Remove eggplants from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.

6. In the meantime, combine feta cheese & chopped dried cheeries in a small bowl and stir together.

7. Stuff each eggplant with a small amount of the feta cheese mixture.

8. Sprinkle pine nuts on top.

9. Finish with a drizzle of honey, balsamic vinegar and chopped parsley.

Servings: 10     Serving size: 1/10 of a recipe (1.5 ounces).

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving; Calories 98.07, Total Fat 3.84g, Saturated Fat 1.15g, Cholesterol 2.61mg, Sodium 21.6mg, Potassium 8.54mg, Total Carbohydrates 5.25g, Fiber 1.68g, Sugar 1.39g, Protein 1.25g WWPP 2

Recipe inspired by a recipe from Running To The Kitchen

This recipe is featured on A Little Nosh Tastetastic Thursdays.

As many of you know we are planning our daughter’s wedding. In the process we have discovered that if you attach the word “wedding” to anything you can pretty much count on the price being double! I kid you not. If you are looking for a career change I would consider anything that has to do with weddings. :) It’s not all bad, we have encountered some really great people along the way. The vendor for the ceremony and reception has been incredible to work with, very reasonable and quite helpful. The Internet has been a wonderful resource for finding vendors and reading reviews. Everything just takes so much time to research and track down. We are making progress and checking things off our list.

I need to learn yoga or better yet incorporate some meditation into my daily life. It would help with the stress. :) I sometimes wake up during the night and think of more things we need to do regarding wedding planning.

On the food front – my food plan is going well. So many of you shared that you too have been in rut when it comes to what to fix to eat. Maybe it is the change in seasons that has us in a slump. Thanks for all the recipe and meal ideas you shared with me on this post. Check out the comments left on that post for some great recipe ideas.

I’m going back to the store to get more baby eggplants – they are so delicious.

Hope you are having a splendid week!

Do you like eggplant?

What do you do to de-stress?

I try to walk 3 miles everyday, it helps clear my head, burns calories and increase those feel good hormones.

Looks mighty tasty! Not sure if we can get the baby eggplants h ere so must look.
    I’ve only had eggplant once, breaded and fried. I really liked it.

I’m not good at destressing…if I’m too stressed out I always turn to food…not good!

Gladcyourcfoodvplan is going so well. I’m still in the winter rut but it is getting better as it gets warmer.

Have an awesome week Tami!

Hope you can find the baby eggplants Carol they are so tender and delicious. Many of us are emotional eaters and have to figure out what to do instead
      of reaching for food to destress. It isn’t always an easy thing to do.

I am not an eggplant person but yours sure look good! :-)

I need some destressing too Tami!!! Yes, weddings are crazy stressful!!! I am sure it will all work out! My workouts or should I say weights help me. Cardio is a chore for me but I do it. ;-)

I’m not a big fan of eggplant except in “mock” oysters which is really more Ritz crackers and butter than eggplant!! But it sure is good! Spouse makes it for our Christmas feast every year as he remembers it from childhood. Refrained from eating it this year and was far enough along in the 17DD not to miss it!

I hike to de-stress and on days when I’m not able to hike, I make certain I get 10,000 steps in. Works wonders!

4. Tish says:

Yum, your baby eggplants look great! I haven’t seen baby eggplants quite that little, mine are more pear size, but if you have a couple extras, they are excellent diced and added to stuffed peppers. They add a great flavor and fullness.

I mix up my exercise a lot (biking, running, weight lifting) but those are the things that de-stress me and help with the weight loss.

5. Ann says:

I’m always trying to find a way to get my husband to try eggplant. Maybe this is it. I’ve never seen baby ones, but I’ll have to look. LOVE goat cheese and pine nuts together! The dried cherries sound great and I was even thinking Craisins?

Being stressed is kinda my baseline. Thing is about weddings we tend to make them bigger and more important than they are. Of course it’s an important day and you want it to be wonderful, but I think the bride worries that everything won’t be “perfect”. Gotta keep focused on what they want and not worry too much about what others might think. Of course……what do I know I haven’t been there yet.

As far as de-stressing for me….yes exercise. Definitely my taekwondo class. Nothing will relax you like punching and kicking for an hour! But also some quiet time, reading and keeping my mind off all that is going on around me. And sometimes watching my favorite TV show!

6. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

These look amazing Tami. I saw some little eggplants in our market last week, but didn’t buy them as I had no idea what I’d do with them. Now I do.

Exercise of any kind, especially walking, always destresses me. I visualize my stressors dropping off of me like dead leaves falling from a tree in autumn, and before I know it, I’m calm and centered again. For a while, anyway. :)

I’ve been watching Say Yes to the Dress, the bridesmaid edition, and I’m standing firm in my resolve to never, ever have a wedding! LOL

8. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I like the flavor of eggplant, but I’m not a fan of all the seeds. I usually stick to the Japanese eggplants because of this. Those itty bitty eggplants look delicious!

Katie is so lucky to have you as a mom and wedding planning partner! Make sure you have a pen and pad of paper on your nightstand for those 3:AM ideas! :)

9. Weight Watcher Wannabe says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. Ive been wondering what to do with those pretty little Eggplants every time I see them at my farmers market.. They look so yummy and fantastic.

I’ve only tried it once and didn’t like it. I’d be willing to try it again. Those are very cute little things:) Exercise really can help me de-stress. I wish I was back to doing cardio!