Easy Wonton Soup

One of my favorite places to go for Chinese food is PF Chang’s. Their won ton soup is delicious and hubby Tom and I like to order the large bowl which is brought to the table in a very large soup urn for sharing. It’s so flavorful and satisfying. It’s also a favorite of daughter Katy’s. Over the weekend I purchased the ingredients to make some soup but never got around to it. After a long day of shopping for a M.O.B.(mother of the bride) dress and coming home empty handed Katy and I were starving. We decided to try give the soup a try. PF Chang’s probably uses a home made stock and hand made won tons. It was already after 6:00 when we started which, if you know me well, you know I usually eat dinner by 5:30. We are most likely the only family on the West coast that eats dinner so early! My Midwest upbringing with three square meals a day and dinner on the table when dad comes home from work has stuck with me all these years!

We used vegetable stock (Katy has an aversion to chicken broth), frozen mini won tons from Costco, some chicken tenders that I cooked in a skillet while the broth heated up. Some chopped bok choy which is a Chinese cabbage, canned water chestnuts, fresh mushrooms, fresh basil, soy sauce, fresh minced ginger root and a splash of sherry. Shrimp would have been nice too but it was frozen and I wasn’t waiting for it to thaw out but next time we will add shrimp. The end results were not an exact copy of PF Chang’s but that didn’t matter because it was amazing! The only thing I would change is to add shrimp and some green onions to it. It was a lovely combination of flavors and so light and fresh tasting.

These little mini wontons have fabulous flavor. If you can’t find this brand any wonton will do. These were purchased at Costco.

Only 50 calories for 4 wontons – how great is that? If you follow Weight Watchers a serving of 4 mini wontons is only 1 WWPP!

Easy Wonton Soup

•  4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cups water
  • 18 pieces of mini chicken and cilantro wontons
  • 6 ounces cooked chicken breast, cut into chunks (could use shrimp too)
  • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1 1/2 heads bok choy cabbage, roughly chopped (use regular cabbage if you wish)
  • 8 ounces canned water chestnuts, sliced, drained
  • 2 tablespoons sherry
  • 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
  • 2-3 teaspoons fresh ginger peeled and minced
  • fresh basil to taste – about half a bunch, torn
  • green onion slices for garnish if desired

1. In a large pot bring broth and water to a boil.

2. Toss in all ingredients and turn burner to a simmer, cook for 8-10 minutes or until wontons and vegetables are tender.

Servings: 6

Nutrition Facts

Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe

Amount Per Serving

Calories 150.41, Total Fat 1.89g, Saturated Fat 0.36g, Cholesterol 27.85mg, Sodium 999.56mg, Potassium 708.85mg, Total Carbohydrates 19.19g, Fiber 3.98g, Sugar 5.86g, Protein 15.18g   WWPP 3

Recipe Source Nutmeg Notebook

Thanks for all the well wishes for hubby Tom. He was under the weather all weekend long and still isn’t feeling all that great. We never did have our holiday BBQ. He wasn’t in the mood for heavy food like ribs. Even though many of you left me encouraging words try grilling the ribs myself, I didn’t have to learn how to use the outdoor grill after-all! :)

Despite hubby Tom not feeling well this weekend we had a business function to attend that we couldn’t bow out of. It revolved around a huge Chinese meal served family style. The food was a sensory delight! It looked fabulous, smelled amazing and tasted incredible! What more could you want? I asked my lovely Asian host seated next to me for chopstick lessons and she informed me that she didn’t know how to use them either! What? She said she prefers a fork. We both made an attempt at eating with chop sticks and after laughing at our mishaps her husband found us some forks! I managed to capture photos of most of the food we were served. I don’t even know what some of it was but I tried to taste a little bit of everything. Well except for what we think was tongue – I just couldn’t do that one!

My favorite dish was the Peking Duck with plum sauce. I had it once before years ago but I don’t remember it tasting as good as this one did. M-m-m-m amazing!  Everything was delicious and the only item I didn’t get a photo of were dishes of peanuts on the tables to nibble on before they started serving dinner. It was a delightfully fun evening.

Are you adept with chop sticks?

What time is dinner or supper (depending on where you live) at your house?

I’ve never mastered chop sticks but I do try to eat with them when we are in an Asian establishment. It really slows down my eating! Practice makes perfect right?

I like PF Chang’s broccoli beef, my Chicken with Garlic Sauce stir fry recipe here , Chinese Long Beans, my healthy version of Chicken Fried Rice and wonton soup.

1. tish says:

Yum, Tami, my mouth is watering and dinner ended here almost 3 hours ago! Definitely adding to wonton soup to my repetoire. We aim to eat between 6:30 and 7, though I like to finish eating earlier, DH is not reliably home in time for a 6 o’clock sitting! I’m good enough with chop sticks, but faster with a fork! Good thing, I guess.

2. Veronica says:

Oh boy does your soup sound delicious! I love those mini wontons, they are perfect for soup! I laughed about your mishaps with the chopsticks. My hubby taught me how to use them and now I’m pretty comfortable with them. He loves them so much, he will eat his spaghetti and salads with them too. He also loves Star Wars, so for his last birthday, I got him a pair of light saber chopsticks–he loves them! :)

3. Miz says:

oooh we love PF CHANGS but it is SO expensive.
    I cant wait to try this…

I don’t do chopsticks. I’ve often wondered if I simply didn’t want to bother with them because I couldn’t get food to my mouth fast enough or in large enough quantities – a very real reflection of an unhealthy relationship with food!!

Laughed out loud when I read your 5 p.m. dinner hours. That’s our as well and our friends all make fun of us because of it. My growing up was haphazard at best with no set time or who knew what we’d even have for dinner, but at Bill’s house, 5 p.m. was AND STILL IS the magic hour. There is NO compromise on this. If you can’t get there by 5 or are a few minutes late, better just hope there’s something left!! We’ve learned to just joke about it!

At our hours, we’re a bit more flexible, but we go to bed very early and find that we feel better if dinner is over no later than 6 and food has easily digested by bedtime.

We had our first “family” dinner in ages this week, with both boys home briefly. My oldest requested salmon; I have a great recipe that both boys like. We’ve served it to guest many times but hardly eat it now that my husband is doing his vegetarian kick. The boys had rice and bread with their meal. I had salad since I hadn’t gotten to the store for any veggies and my dear husband who did the shopping, yes, the vegetarian, didn’t get any:(

The soup looks delicious and Won Ton is a favorite! I’ll have to see if we can buy frozen Won Tons here.

I have made your fried rice and it is very good!!

The Chines meal looks delicious…another favorite food of mine. I have never used chop sticks but my sister is quite handy with them. One of her best friends in school taught here.

Tami, we eat much earlier than you…when Bryce was still working, he had to be in bed no later than 8 PM{he left for work before 4 AM} so we had to eat by 4:30. He couldn’t sleep if he was full from a meal. Now that he’s retired, we stick to the same time. Gives us the whole evening to do what we want.

I try but I have never really mastered chop sticks.. although I don’t eat chinese food that often – Rare actually. All that food looks delish!

I eat mini meals so a dinner mini is usually around 6ish. Hubby eats at all different times than I do! ;-)

8. janine says:

wow–I’m so food oriented. All the pictures of the meal look fabulous. My very favorite type of food! What an amazing hostess.
    I buy those little wontons at Costco, as well as the larger potstickers, which are identical, just bigger. The soup sounds terrrific–plus goes together quickly.
    Good luck on finding the perfect dress too. You’ll look amazing in it.

9. Jan says:

I ♥ Chinese food but don’t eat much any more because I do not eat starches. I always start with chopsticks but quickly go to a fork. This soup looks fabulous! Will have to make some for Sue (and just take out the wontons in my bowl).

We always eat around 5 because Sue goes to work by 5:30 and is famished by the time she gets home. So, you aren’t the only family in the west to eat early.

10. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

wow! what an amazing spread. You know what my fav dish at PF changs is? the garlic snap peas! OMG…amazing! Of course, I enjoy the lettuce wraps too..but I could eat an entire plate of those snap peas by myself!

This soup looks amazing and the stats…and you know I will have to get to costco and find those wontons!

Have a great week, Tami!

I have wontons at home, I am going to try to make those cilantro wontons from scratch – love that the soup turned out so great!

Yep, I usually like to have dinner ready between 6-6:30 – it is in the midwest blood. :D

I’ve never had duck before – but if I did it would definitely be Peking duck!