A Day Of Celebration with Great Company & Good Eats!

Yesterday was fabulous! My morning started with an early rise – around 4:00 am I awoke to the sound of thunder! We rarely get thunderstorms here in Northern Ca, in fact I learned later that this was the first time in recorded history that we had ever had rain on July 23rd! It left about as quickly as it arrived. Hubby Tom headed out early for a business trip and I went for my 3 mile walk. It was a beautiful morning. Later Katy and I went and picked up David and went out for my birthday lunch. We had a lovely time together.

The food was awesome but mostly I enjoyed spending time with Katy and David.

Hanging out with my children was the best gift. I smiled like this all day.

We went to Zocolos – one of my favorite Mexican restaurants. We started with chips, salsa and spicy black bean dip.

I ordered this fabulous salad with shrimp, dressing on the side. It was amazing.

It helped balance out the calorie intake so I could enjoy plantains with black beans without guilt. My favorite part of the meal.

I had a few bites of David’s chicken enchiladas – so flavorful – I might order those next time.

Katy had her favorite casserole – it was filled with chicken, mushrooms and tons of melty cheese. OMG – good!

No birthday meal is complete without dessert. We opted to share one serving of cream filled churros with real full fat vanilla ice cream.  Let me just say that although this looks rather plain and simple - it was out of this world delicious. I’m drooling just thinking about it. It was so rich that a few bites was all we needed. It was a good thing I started the day with exercise! Calories don’t count on birthdays – that’s my theory. Yesterday when I weighed in I had lost the 3 pounds that had showed up last week, but after yesterdays lunch I don’t think I will get on the scale for a day or two. I most likely will show a temporary gain. Today it’s back to normal healthy eats including lots of veggies, fresh fruit, fat free Greek yogurt, fish and plenty of water.

David gave us a tour of his apartment and I am proud of him for keeping it so clean! All those years of training and weekly chores growing up stuck with him. Not only was his apartment clean but he had been grocery shopping and had stalked up on whole wheat bread, whole wheat buns and fresh fruit. Insert smile here :) .

Yesterday afternoon Katy and I did some more wedding shopping – honeymoon clothing shopping – and I even ended up with a new dress. She tried it on first and it wasn’t quite right for her but we thought I might look good in it and sure enough it was a winner. We really have a great time shopping together. We have the same taste in clothes and often buy the same things. She said when she was little she always wanted to dress like me and now she sometimes does. Life is funny like that.

Have a happy day!

Do you let yourself have a special meal with higher calorie foods now and then?

I do allow myself special meals or treats now and then. I keep them within reason and limit them to one meal – not a whole day of eating badly. I think it’s about finding a balance and not feeling deprived without over doing it.

1. Jane says:

Happy birthday! Sounds like such a great day! I can tell you have a great relationship with your daughter, and I think that is so awesome!!

What a wonderful birthday you had Tami..nothing better than celebrating with family…..katie is beautiful and David is very handsome.
    Sounds like the wedding plans are going well!!

I do have higher calorie meals for special occasions…more lately than I should! Time to get back on track.

There are birthday greetings at the Cafe for you! :)

Have an awesome day!

I forget every year how close our birthdays are! About a week apart! Happy, happy birthday – so much to celebrate in your life right now!

I do allow myself special meals occasionally, but with a twist. It usually comes in the form of a special entree or something that we either can’t or prefer not to prepare at home. I’m so far removed from the bread, desserts, and other high-calorie foods that they no longer hold any temptation and I suspect it would only take one bite to put me right back at square one. It’s not worth it!

I am so glad you’ve found your “happy” place with your own eating plan guidelines! You look beautiful!

4. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

Happy Birthday, Tami! What a beautiful birthday celebration! Everyone looks so happy! I love it!

Birthday calories never count! :D

Happy birthday!!

6. Tish says:

Happy Birthday to another July girl!

Yes! I definitely let myself have a splurge meal once in a while. I still have a bit of a problem, sometimes, limiting it to one meal and not letting it spill over into the day, but I’m getting better.

Love that you got to spend your special day with your kiddos. Fun shopping with your daughter, too. I love shopping with my Laura. We have similar tastes, but live on different coasts, so don’t have too bad a time avoiding similar outfits except when we’re together.

7. Ann says:

Glad you had a great birthday!

Happy belated bday! Sorry I missed that!! I love the pics & happiness!!!!

I definitely enjoy treats now & then but for me, I like a treat vs. a meal. I really don’t care much about the regular food – for me it is the sweets! :-)

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Lori says:

Happy Birthday! I think special occasions are a good time for special meals :D

10. Veronica says:

Aww, happy birthday! Your children are so beautiful! What a blessing to spend the day with them. I agree, calories don’t count on your birthday and I definitely do believe in allowing indulgences.

Happy Birthday! It looks like you had a truly happy day!

I do have a special meal now and then and always on my birthday!

Great way to spend your birthday!! Good eats and great company = awesome!

13. janine says:

I love seeing how happy you all look. Katy and David are gorgeous. It’s so wonderful that you’ve raised them to be as good inside as they are outside. Glad the birthday celebration was wonderful, and that you got to share it with your kiddos. You look beautiful.