Best Burgers Ever!

If you have followed my blog for very long you already know I am not a huge fan of beef. Kind of strange when you consider that I grew up in Nebraska the home of corn fed beef! My mom made hamburgers for dinner a lot when I was a kid as it was an economical meal for a family of six. Everyone would eat them without complaint, including me! Over time I have gravitated towards leaner sources of protein and my burger of choice these days always starts with lean ground turkey. Buyer beware, choose wisely when you are purchasing ground turkey and be sure to buy the “lean” ground turkey. I bought some pre made turkey patties at Trader Joe’s one time and they contained more fat than ground beef. Now, don’t wrinkle up your nose at the thought of a turkey burger, they can be made without being dry and tasteless. With a few simple add ins your turkey burgers can be full flavored and juicy. Even hubby Tom, who we all know is a beef loving kind of guy, will chow down on a turkey burger without complaint. Let me share some of my favorites.

This Turkey Feta Stuffed Burger was one of the first turkey burger recipes that I tried and loved. It still remains my all time favorite burger. It’s so simple to make and it’s big on flavor. I even like it sans the bun. Your can wrap it in a leaf of lettuce if you want to eat it out of hand without adding more carbs. I usually make a double batch and freeze some for future quick and easy meals. Yum!

This is daughter Katy’s all time favorite burger that I make, the Asian Style Turkey Burger. This burger is so moist you won’t believe it’s ground turkey. The sauce adds a nice punch of citrus flavor and if you want to guild the lily add a grilled pineapple ring. Delicious.

If you like a little heat you will love this Cilantro Turkey Burger with Chipotle Ketchup. In fact you might want to double the chipotle ketchup. Truth be told this burger sometimes gives me heartburn but it’s so good!

If you are a cheese burger fan you have to make this Turkey Cheese BurgerGruyere cheese blend from Trader Joe’s makes these go together quickly and easily. With the addition of garlic, scallions and Dijon mustard this is an amazing, flavorful burger. I enjoy mine on top of a bed of baby greens.

If meatless burgers are more your style this Cheesy Quinoa Burger is sure to please your palette.These freeze well too so go ahead and cook up a large batch of these. Although these are great on a sprouted bun I also like to put them on top of a salad. I need to make another batch of these soon.

Do you like Falafel? The flavors in this Falafel Burger are amazing with cumin, coriander, tahini, cilantro – oh, it’s making me hungry! This patty can be packed into a pita, rolled in flat bread or served on top of baby greens. These also freeze really well and reheat nicely in the microwave.

Fire up the BBQ or cook any of these on your stove top and serve up a healthy yet delicious moist burger. Be sure to come back and let me know which ones you tried!

When we met with the catering coordinator (for daughter Katy’s wedding reception) she told us that at this point when she meets with the wedding family they are tired of the planning, decision making, have stretched the budget as far as it can go and are tired. Um, yeah that pretty much sums it up! We are wedding weary to say the least!

My foot is doing much better – the swelling is down and almost back to normal. I went for my 3 mile walk yesterday and did just fine. Katy and I were out shopping again yesterday and we stopped at a fairly new Organic Restaurant called Baagan. The food is fresh, organic and is Indian inspired. We each chose a different sandwich and the best ice tea ever!

I chose the Veggie Sandwich on multi grain bread with hummus. It was huge and I couldn’t eat it all so I shared it with Katy. She ordered the special Panni of the day which was grilled eggplant with olive tapenade and pesto, oh my, talk about delicious.

The ice tea was made from a blend of three Tulsi teas which have a lovely basil flavor.

For dessert we shared a dish of Chocolate Banana Soft serve with a nourishing nut treat flax seed topping. This is just frozen bananas and organic cocoa blended together – no sweetener needed. So perfect on a hot day. What a treat to be able to eat out and enjoy such healthy food. Of course you can make this at home yourself with my recipe for Chocolate Banana Soft Serve.

It’s Tuesday and the Farmer’s Market day!  The tomatoes we got last week were amazing and so sweet. I am hungry for BLT’s so I need to go to Trader Joe’s and get uncured bacon.

We might be making Fall off the bone ribs tomorrow – I had best figure out who will be here to eat with us and plan my meal.

Happy July 4th!

Share your favorite burger recipe with me or leave me a link to it.

What are your holiday plans?

1. Lori says:

I love turkey burgers. I also love beef burgers LOL! And pork burgers.

Indian food is one of my very favorite cuisines!

We don’t have much planned for the holiday. I will be working some, but it will be relaxed.

Hope you have a great one!

2. Jan@WritingToWellness says:

I’m a big fan of turkey burgers (minus bun) but do enjoy quality beef burgers, also.

Sue will try out our new gas grill with cedar plank salmon concoction. Hey, we can always fall back on some burgers!

I love cedar plank salmon but have never made it at home. Let me know how it turns out.

3. Tish says:

We’re with Katy. The Asian Turkey Burger with that awesome citrus cilantro sauce is #1 in our book. We had ‘em for dinner last night, along with grilled pineapple. I may meet other favorites, if only I can get beyond always choosing to make the Asian Turkey Burger!

Happy 4th!

It’s hard to move onto new recipes once you have something that the family likes!

How much longer until Katie gets married? I know it will be a relief to have the actual wedding and reception!

Because Mr. Helen has to work on the 4th I asked my boss if I could work too and take another day off and he agreed. I’m happy because that means I can take a Friday or Monday and have a long weekend sometime this summer.

A burger is one of the ways I actually like ground beef. I have tried and tried to like gorund turkey but I just don’t. I’m not sure why either as I can’t seem to put a finger on it. I do, however, like ground chicken. This burger, made with ground chicken breast, is so good that even my beef loving Mr. Helen requests it!

Thanks for the link, the burger recipe sounds great!

Bill is kind of a burger “purist,” so he sticks with the traditional beef and I can’t get him to waiver much. We are enjoying some turkey burgers and I’ve recently began keeping ground chicken burgers made also. Slightly different consistency and taste from turkey, so good for variety. Have had the quinoa recipe bookmarked for months to try – hopefully soon!

I always buy the extra lean turkey just to save me the fat grams for something else! ;-) Many don’t even know the difference between lean & extra lean. I pointed it out to a shopper that asked me a question one day & she was shocked.. so I guess plenty off people that still don’t know stuff! ;-)

Not sure about tomorrow yet – still things being planned & we shall see…. ;-)

Glad your foot is better!

Have a wonderful July 4th!!!

7. Kristie says:

Great looking burgers! Quick question : What is the brand of the buns that you had them on? They look yummy! I can’t ever find any healthy burger buns.

My favorite buns are the Alvarado ST Bakery sprouted buns. I reviewed them on the following post. http://nutmegnotebook.com/2011/01/multi-grain-bread-vs-whole-grain-bread-product-reviews/

If I don’t have time to go to Whole Foods for the sprouted buns I will pick up a bag of wheat buns at the grocery store, either Sara Lee or Orowheat.

I just bite the bullet and spring for the ground turkey breast over the various other ground turkey offerings. While I usually use it for taco salad topping, I do enjoy a simple turkey-and-green-chile burger now and then. Tasty, but I still prefer ground sirloin burgers. :)

9. Jane says:

I was the same way growing up — my mom loved hamburgers and we seriously had them 5 days a week! I love turkey burgers though, and the quinoa burger sounds good – I will have to try that! I totally understand about the wedding planning — that was me about a year ago!! Your daughter is so lucky to have you helping her! Have a great 4th!!

10. Miz says:

I love all all things burgers.
    please to move in with us :-)