Broccoli, Bacon & Toasted Almond Salad

This is a light and refreshing broccoli salad made without any mayo! I cut back on the amount of sugar and have to admit that I doubled the amount of bacon – but before you think I went overboard on bacon let me tell you that I still only used 2 slices of bacon! Ha, ha and here you thought I was being really bad! We loved the flavors of this salad but I must let you know that all of the “goodies” fall to the bottom of the dish.

Since it isn’t a very wet salad the ingredients don’t stay mixed, but don’t let that stop you from making it. Just dig deep to the bottom of the serving dish to get your fair share of bacon, toasted almonds, onions and dried cranberries. It has a lovely crunch, is slightly sweet and you get in a good size serving of a good for you green veggie!

Broccoli Bacon & Toasted Almond Salad

• 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
    • 1/4 cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
    • 1/4 cup (1-inch-thick) slices red bell pepper
    • 1/4 cup craisins
    • 2 1/2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 center-cut bacon slice, cooked and crumbled (drained) (used 2 slices)
    • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    • 2 tablespoons sugar (used less than half this amount)
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil

Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine vinegar, sugar, and oil in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine. Pour vinegar mixture over broccoli mixture; toss gently to coat. Chill

Yield: 6 Servings

Serving Size: Approx 3/4 cup

Nutritional Information Per Original recipe I didn’t have time to calculate my changes.

Amount per serving Calories: 84, Fat: 3 g, Saturated fat: 0.4g, Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g, Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g, protein: 2.6g,Carbohydrate: 13.5, Fiber: 2.1g, Cholesterol: 1mg, Iron: 0.6mg, Sodium: 84mg, Calcium: 35mg  WWPP 2

Recipe Adapted From Cooking Light

Saying Good bye

So many of my favorite bloggers have decided to stop blogging. It makes me sad as I will miss their presence in the blog sphere. At the same time I understand their reasons for stopping. You sometimes wonder if you have anything left to blog about, it takes a great deal of time and energy to keep a blog going and you don’t get paid for it. Helen, Karen, Jenn and Leslie thank you for your contributions to the healthy living blog sphere and blessings to you all as you move forward with other adventures in your life.

Living life in the fast lane

Life is crazy busy here right now with the wedding just weeks away. We are still waiting to hear from the insurance company about the settlement for the totaled car and what they are going to pay for the leaking plumbing pipe damage in our house! We are waiting until after the wedding to make the household repairs. I have no time right now to pick out carpet, paint and new counter tops.

Last week was so stressful and my routine was turned upside down which resulted in very little exercise or cooking real meals. I didn’t track my food which isn’t good for me. I do so much better when I enter my food into My Fitness Pal. Seeing it all add up through out the day helps me keep things at a reasonable amount and stops me from engaging in eating just for the fun of it! As a result of lack of exercise and more food than I needed, the scale shows a 3 pound weight gain! It comes back so much easier than it drops off.

This week has been a little better. Katy and I managed to get to Costco yesterday and stock up on fruit,veggies and some pre made foods like Amylu chicken burgers. We need some quick and easy meal options right now. This week I have gotten in some walks, (although my foot continues to swell each day) started tracking my food again, been drinking plenty of water and hope to see a better number on the scale next week. :)

This weekend we are having a trial run with our wedding day hair styles and make-up. That is going to be so much fun. I can’t say for sure if there will be time (or energy) to post again before the wedding. We are on the final countdown and still have things to get accomplished before out of town guests arrive. It will be a fun, exciting few weeks ahead. We are so going to need a vacation after all of this excitement. I think the parents of the bride need a second honeymoon!

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Broccoli – love it or hate it?

Do you track your food?

Yes, I track my food in a rather general way thanks to the 17DD. I don’t intend to fully embrace the cycle 4 as I believe that, for me, there is too much freedom. So my tracking involves writing down and knowing when I’ve had my 2 fruits, 2 carbs, 2 probiotics, adequate protein, etc. I also make a note if I had extra servings in any of the categories.

We love broccoli, eat it frequently and enjoy discovering new ways to prepare/season it.

Sharon so glad for you that you have found a good balance in your food plan. I agree that too much freedom isn’t a good thing for some of us!

2. janine says:

Hey there–I want to wish your family and Katy the most wonderful Wedding ever. She’ll be a beautiful bride–and all the rest of the problems can be dealt with later. Too much going on right now–and I hope you find time to just take a deep breath. I’m not a fan of plain broccoli–need something on it. I do like it in a chopped salad, where everything is kind of cubed up into equal sizes.
    So, did you folks ever decide on the wedding cake????

Thanks for the well wishes Janine. I actually took it slow today and allowed myself some down time with no chores or errands. It was heavenly! Oh, yes indeed they decided on a chocolate cake with a raspberry cream cheese filling – it’s going to be delicious!

So much going on there Tami!!! I can’t wait to see pics of the wedding!!! Hopefully after that you will get some R&R! ;-)

Yes, sad to see some bloggers closing shop… I do understand though I I have plans to cut back a bit & maybe it may end up in doing the same thing. Still thinking about that but more likely than not due to too much time to do the blog stuff & I need to get more focused on the job finding stuff! ;-)

Have a wonderful time if we don’t hear back till after the wedding!

Jody I didn’t know you were looking for a job. Wishing you well with that but if you stop blogging I would really miss you. I would hope that you could still post on your blog once a week or twice a month. You have so much wisdom to share.

4. Lynn P. says:

Tami, I love reading your blog and trying many many of your recipes. Have a fun next few weeks, enjoy the wedding, family and friends time…memories to be treasured for life. Enjoy!

Lynn thank you for the lovely comment. It’s great to know you are following the blog. I appreciate the well wishes. :)

When I was in my “losing phase”, I frequently visited a local deli with a salad bar. and always sprinkled a small serving of crumbled bacon on my salad, knowing that it would work to the bottom of the bowl but leaving it’s tastiness along the way. :)

I’m sure this is a time of huge stress, which could explain part of your teensy gain. The body goes into fight-or-flight mode and tends to hang on to calories just in case it should need them. (Silly thing doesn’t know the difference between joyful stress and nasty stress. :) )

Cammy you are so wise – yes indeed the stress (joyful or not) can add to weight gain along with lack of sleep and a host of other things I am experiencing right now. A little bacon on your salad sounds wonderful – is that a habit you have since given up? I do find that a little bacon can go a long way flavor wise. :)

Tami, I was thinking about you yesterday for a number of reasons – mostly wondering where you’d been and thinking things must be hectic with that approaching wedding.

I’m not surprised at your lack of tracking or cooking or anything what with everything going on around your house right now (good and bad!). If you gain a little weight I know you’ll get it right back off as things settle down a bit.

I think I’ll be back to blogging – at least some – when summer winds down. Right now I’m just enjoying my favorite season and living it!

Thanks for thinking of me Helen! Life is hectic and very full right now. Every day is crammed full of activity and a long to do list. We will all crash after the wedding! It’s great to know that you will be back to posting at least a little in the Fall. I miss your posts!

It DOES come on so fast compared to coming off! Sigh. I like but don’t love broccoli. Recently I’ve made a broccoli white bean salad that’s been a nice cool summer meal.

Karen a broccoli and white bean salad would be awesome on those hot days when we don’t want to heat up the kitchen. I like recipes that make a lot so we have plenty of leftovers!

Good luck with the wedding!!! Bet you are so proud!

I’ve gotten into eating the stems of the broccoli after I read that it had the same nutrient value as the florets.

I always save those for my hubby as he likes them too!

9. Jane says:

Good luck Tami – everything will be great, and I can’t wait to see pictures!!

10. Diane, fit to the finish says:

What an exciting time! I hope you will post lots of beautiful pictures Tami!

11. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

Hi Tami, enjoy this VERY exciting time in your family’s life!!!!! I’m looking forward to wedding pics if you decide to post them. Take care!!!!