A Snappy New Cracker Find / A Delicious Frozen Meal / Teriyaki Sauce

Since I purchased my second bag of these amazing little snack crackers it’s only right that I share one of my latest food finds with you all. It’s another one of those amazing Trader Joe’s products, so my apologies to those of you who don’t have a TJ’s nearby. If you ever have the chance to shop in one it’s well worth the cost of shipping to load up a box of non perishables and ship them back home. You would be amazed at how much you can pack into those flat rate shipping boxes from the post office!

These are salty, crisp and delicious!

The stats aren’t too bad for a cracker. These are amazing with my home made hummus or my favorite Trader Joe’s eggplant hummus.

Continuing with the Asian theme is this Teriyaki sauce. It can be found at many different stores, TJ’s, Whole Foods, Costco, Asian markets and the regular grocery store. Marinate meat or fish prior to cooking, add it to a stir fry and make your own teriyaki bowls. It’s jam packed with sesame seeds and finger licking good!

This has tons of flavor so a little goes a long way.

Sometimes I crave Indian food but it’s not the most diet friendly cuisine to eat out so if I don’t feel like cooking it myself I go for one of the Amy’s frozen entrees. I recently tried this one and found it to be very satisfying. Amy’s frozen meals are sold at most grocery stores including Walmart as well as Whole Foods and health food stores. Of course Walmart is much cheaper. I recently stocked up on several of Amy’s entrees.

I love that it’s under 400 calories, has tons of flavor and is quick and easy. Now I am on another Indian food kick so on the menu later this week is Indian Mango Dal. I found some great looking ripe mangoes at the market perfect for that recipe.

The weather has cooled off a little here – funny how 87-90 can be considered cooler but when you have had a long stream of triple digit temperatures a drop of 15-20 degrees is significant. With the “cooler” days upon us my food cravings are leaning towards comfort foods and as I was looking through the Nutmeg Notebook recipe archives (just click on the recipe tab at the top of the page and search recipes until your hearts content) I was drawn to some old favorites like;

Slow Cooker Chili

Beef stew

Easy Split Pea Soup

Pot Roast with Caramelized Onions

Chicken Curry

Roasted Butternut Squash & Bacon Pasta

Pumpkin Oat Muffins

Roasted Caramel Glazed Cinnamon Apples

Pumpkin Cranberry Apple Baked Oatmeal.

My enthusiasm for cooking just might be coming back! Clearly I have too much time on my hands and too much time to think about food. :)

Nutmeg Foot Notes

Yesterday I saw the podiatrist for a follow up to my on going foot problem diagnosed as Capsulitis of the second toe. Going into the appointment I was feeling pretty down about the chronic pain, lack of mobility, having to wear motion control shoes almost every waking moment and just plain tired of it all.

The doc immediately picked up on my mood and when he asked me what course of action I wanted to take next I said surgery! I just want to get this taken care of and resume my normal busy life. He told me that we can’t do surgery yet as we haven’t exhausted all of our other options. We did however discuss the different surgery options available, the length of recovery for each – we are talking 4-6 weeks of non weight bearing, crutches, orthopedic boots, no stair climbing, 6- 12 months of wearing motion control shoes and tons of patience. Okay, okay I Will try the non surgical options first.

The next course of action right now is to try and get the pain under control (the motion control shoes have helped some) and take me from the 8 I had over the weekend (on a scale of 1-10 for pain) and get me back to a 0 so I can function as an active person again. This required getting a cortisone shot in my toe – ouch! Let me just say that I do have a high tolerance for pain but this shot did make me tear up. I also had x -rays taken of my foot every which way you can possibly think of.  My own personal foot photo shoot. Too bad they aren’t in color I had the prettiest red nail polish on! The x-ray tech was quite entertaining as well. She had a collection of Mr Potato heads lining the walls in her room. I’m talking hundreds of them in all kinds of costumes. What a pity I didn’t have my own camera with me! Maybe next time.

For now I will continue to ice my foot at least three times a day, wear the motion control shoes almost every waking moment (they don’t go with dresses so the doc has given me permission to find a 1-2 inch platform type rigid sandal- that will also give me an attitude boost), limit my activity and hope the inflammation subsides and with it goes the pain.

This morning the toe is bruised where the shot was given but I do believe it feels a little better already. I am feeling more hopeful about my recovery. Next week I go for a follow up appointment and to find out just how out of whack my metatarsal bones look with the results from the photo shoot!

If you are able to exercise please take advantage of your mobility and don’t sit on the side lines. Go out and walk a mile or two in honor of me and know that I would join you in a heart beat if I could.

What Fall foods are you looking forward to?

1. Lori says:

Hope the toe feels better. Cortisone shots into the feet hurt like heck, but the relief can be incredible once it takes effect.

I am looking forward to stews and soups and pumpkin everything!

You are right Lori that shot in my toes hurt like heck! Stews, soup and everything pumpkin sounds good to me too. :)

2. Linda Palapala says:

Believe me when I say you do not want to have surgery for this foot problem.

Poor thing! I do hope the shot helps and that you don’t have to go surgical. But I also understand the feeling of just wanting it over and done with! My appointment is Friday and I can’t wait!

Wishing you good luck with your appointment on Friday Helen. Hang in there.

I asked Bill just yesterday if he was ready for some bean soup and he just sort of looked at me. I took that to mean, “not yet!”

Now you’ve made me feel like a wienie – I desperately need to get a cortisone shot in my ring finger on my left hand and know it’s going to hurt like the dickens so keep putting it off. Those tiny joints (fingers, toes) are the most painful of all.

Sharon I can understand why you are putting off the shot, it is painful but if it helps in the long run it will be worth it.

5. Ann says:

Soups! I love soup and Texas summers are NOT conducive to hot soup AT ALL. For some reason i don’t care for cold soup so I guess that would be the thing I look forward to. And chili….spicy chili on a cold day.

Thanks for the reminder to be thankful that I can move and exercise. I forget how irritated I get when I’m not able to. Be patient and I hope you’ll be on the mend ASAP.

That is a lot of chips per serving for your first item! Will look next time at TJs. What do they taste like?

Your poor foot!!!!! So sorry!!!!

I get feet probs! I have my share! I have not worn pretty shoes for more years than I can count. Guess the job search will be for jobs I can wear casual tennis shoes & my Hoka shoes! ;-)

Hope things work out so you don’t have to get surgery! I have avoided that at all costs thru the years way back when my bunions started bothering me in my 30′s!!!!

Jody the little crackers remind me a lot of the other Asian type rice crackers I have tried. They are really crisp, snappy and salty.

I think you should look for a job in the fitness area. You could be a personal trainer, a rep for a gym, a rep for protein powder/supplements,exercise gear/wear. I can think of all kinds of things you would be awesome at Jody!

Thx Tami – you have great ideas! I have tried a couple but may again! :-)

7. Sue says:

Trader Joe’s opened this summer in my area. I bookmarked your list. My favorite is the European yogurt. I will buy those chips the next time I’m there.

I made an excellent Indian dish last month. It was Chicken Tikka Masala from America’s Test Kitchen International Cookbook. Two of my coworkers came up to me in the breakroom at lunch and looked in my bowl to see what smelled so good.

Hope you start feeling better.

My husband is a huge fan of the European yogurt. Your chicken tikka masala recipe sounds delicious!

8. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

How awful about your foot! Hope it all works out for the best for you. Foot surgery is no fun…been there done that. HUGS!

Gotta LOVE TJ’s. I need to make a trip, as it’s been too long. Will def look for those crackers. I’ve used the teriyaki sauce. Very good. And LOVE Amy’s. The mexican frozen meals are wonderful!

I hope your toe feels better and better! Here’s hoping the cortisone works its magic! I feel so sorry for people who have chronic pain and no access to the miracles of medicine that could relieve their pain.

Thanks for the well wishes Cammy and the reminder that I am so fortunate to have good health care so that I can seek medical attention. We must always remember our blessings and I have many!

I agree – since I’ve had my bronchitis I am going on week three of not exercising and its driving me nuts. Hopefully by Monday I’ll be back on the track!

I love, love, love that teriyaki sauce – my nephew brought me a bottle the last time I had a bbq – bacon wrapped waterchestnuts, brushed with that sauce and baked are absolutely delicious!

11. janine says:

well–add me to the list of all your friends who wish you well, and hope that cortisone shot does the trick. Foot surgery is dicey–so I’m hoping the shoes and cortisone do the trick.
    Just got back from Trader Joe’s and saw this post–timing is everything!

Thanks for the well wishes – I can use all I can get. :) I hope the shot and shoes work like a miracle – wouldn’t that be grand?

12. janine says:

Just read that there’s a mango recall, tami. Wanted you to be careful! You’ve had enough problems lately.

Oh my goodness thanks for letting me know Janine -I will google that and see if mine are in the recall. What next?