Stuffed Banana Boat – Grill It, Bake It or Microwave It

If you were a girl scout you may have made this at a camp out when you were a young girl. Not being a girl scout I missed out on this wonderful, easy dessert until I stumbled across the idea on the Internet a couple of years ago. It’s the perfect ending to a BBQ and the best part is that everyone gets to assemble their own! I love getting everyone involved and the adults love this as much as the kids do.

You probably have everything in your pantry to make this right now. Think dark chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, any kind of chopped nuts, dried fruit, flax seeds, chia seeds, coconut, caramels, marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs or a little granola. Yum!

It’s not the prettiest dish but no one will mind because the flavor is amazing! The banana gets all gooey with the melted chocolate and the crunch from the nuts are a nice contrast to the warm soft banana. It’s perfect as is but, if you want to take this to the next level you can add a dollop of lowfat honey Greek yogurt or a scoop of low fat vanilla bean ice cream. Oh so good! Minus the chocolate this might even show up on my breakfast table with a little peanut butter and granola. Why didn’t I think of that before?

Stuffed Banana Boats

• Fresh bananas – ripe but still firm – at least one per person – but some will come back for seconds! Oh, yes they will. :)
  • an assortment of fillings – you don’t need all of them – these are just suggestions – set them out in little bowls with spoons
  • chocolate chips
  • white chocolate chips
  • peanut butter chips
  • chopped nuts
  • dried fruit - chopped
  • blueberries, raspberries or chopped strawberries
  • shredded coconut
  • flax seeds
  • chia seeds
  • cacao nibs
  • graham cracker crumbs
  • granola
  • caramels
  • nut butter or nutella
  • marshmallows
  • aluminum foil
  1. Preheat grill to medium heat.
  2. With a sharp knife cut open the banana without going all the way through to the bottom.
  3. Leaving the skin on gently pry open the banana slit and stuff it with a couple tablespoons of your favorite fillings.
  4. Take a piece of aluminum foil and scrunch it up around the banana to hold the banana up right.
  5. Place the stuffed bananas on the grill, close the lid and let cook for about 10 minutes or until the chocolate gets all melty.
  6.  Give everyone a spoon and dig in!

Note that the banana skin will turn black from the heat.

Options- heat oven to 350 and place banana boats on a baking sheet – bake until chocolate is melty. Skip the foil and place the stuffed banana on a plate and microwave on high for 30-60 seconds – timing varies depending on how powerful your microwave is.

Finally, yesterday I had a day spent in the kitchen. Five pounds of chicken breasts were cooked on the stove top in some chicken broth and then shredded. It will be frozen in 4 ounce portions and used in a variety of recipes. Ground beef and chopped onions were browned together and will be frozen in 1 pound portions for recipes like chili and soup. Chicken and onion/potato foil packs were assembled early in the day and then tossed in the oven an hour before dinner. Chicken was prepped for making an Indian dish but I ran out of steam so that goes on todays “to do” list. We are well stocked with food options!

Foot Notes

The bar stool at my kitchen island comes in handy for sitting while I prep food – allowing me to stay off my foot but still get some work done. Yesterday I did a modified weight resistance work out, meaning it was all done sitting down. It felt great and I actually felt like I had a work out and burned some calories.  My foot feels a little better today – that’s progress. :)

What would you put in your banana boat?

Were you a girl scout, boy scout or a member of 4H?

I was in 4H for a short time and loved the cooking!

I think I’d do dark chocolate and pecans in the boat and then top it with vanilla ice cream, hot fudge sauce and whipped cream when it was done.

I was a brownie and then switched over to 4H. I actually won a modeling contest and an oral book recitation contest at 4H camp (I recited Horton Hatches an Egg)!

Congrats on the modeling contest win – that is so cool!

Oh my goodness, what a yummy dessert! I think I would add chopped peanuts , some LF ice cream and a drizzle of hot fudge sauce!!

I went to Brownies when I was little and in my teens I belonged to a girls church group, CGIT…Canadian Girls In Training. We had many camping trips and I enjoyed the campfire cooking.

Your combo sounds good Carol! Campfire cooking – I bet that was a lot of fun!

3. Racheal @ Running with Racheal says:

I can’t wait to try these! I have some friends who follow paleo coming over for dinner. These will be the perfect dessert that I can add, ahem, un-paleo treats to!

Thanks!

Racheal what a great Paleo dessert idea, it will be something everyone can enjoy. Sometimes that is difficult with different eating styles.

4. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

I just grilled ( pan grilled) some bananas the other day. I squeezed a half of lime on them just before they were done, then drizzled with honey. Served with vanilla bean ice cream. Yummy. I love the melted chocolate on yours!

glad your foot is doing better.

Renee your grilled bananas sound wonderful!

I don’t have all the making in my “pantry” which I don’t have one of those either! ;-) Looks too good for me – I would not be able to stop! :-) And yes, a girl scout here & love for smores when I was fat! smile again!

So glad the foot is better & you are working thru this!!!

On my drive last week, I was thinking about banana boats! I haven’t made them in eons, but I had the idea on the way home that they would be perfect for breakfast, stuffed with an oatmeal/peanut butter/raisin concoction. And maybe a drizzle of honey or maple syrup on top. But just a drizzle. :)

So glad your foot is feeling better! When i had my surgery, I resisted strength training because I didn’t want to “blow” my sessions on minimal workouts. Little did I know how hard I could workout sitting on a bench or lying on the floor! LOL

Great minds think alike Cammy! I have yet to try this for breakfast but I will soon! You are right about how hard a sitting down or lying down work out can be.I can actually work up a sweat! Who knew? :)

7. Jane says:

I’ve never heard of banana boats, but that sounds so incredible!! And easy! I’m glad your foot is feeling slightly better … hopefully it will continue to feel better and better!

Jane you have to try the banana boats, they are delicious. We had them again this weekend and enjoyed every bite. :)

8. Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking says:

Oh these bananas look amazing! I have never had them but they look oh so delicious so I will be making these soon.

Hi Alicia thanks for stopping by. Hope you like the banana boats as much as we do. :)

9. Kim says:

How did you do you chicken potato foil packs? Are they on your ite too? With three kids playing fall sports looking for some easy dinners. Interested in what you will be doing with the shredded chicken. Did you just boil chicken in brothe and then when chicken cooled shred? We did have your beef stroganoff in crock pot last week…..thanks!

Hi Kim! I will be posting the recipe for the foil chicken packs soon. I cooked boneless skinless chicken breast (bone-in also works well) in part water/part broth maybe 2/3 water/1/3 chicken broth – I don’t meatsure, then add salt, pepper, garlic salt or Cavender’s Greek seasoning, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about an hour or until chicken is tender. Remove from liquid, let cook and shred using two forks. I use it in all kinds of recipes like my chicken enchiladas,nachos, enchiladacasserole, chinese chicken salad, white chicken chili,17 DD chicken soup, WW veg chicken soup, check out the soup recipes here http://nutmegnotebook.com/category/soup-stew/

Mexican recipes here http://nutmegnotebook.com/category/mexican-cuisine/

Casseroles here

Hope this helps. :) Tami

HaHa! I have none of those in my pantry! I’m like old Mother Hubbard :-)

I was a Boy Scout until they threw me out for not being able to learn Morse Code. Sending out an SOS didn’t do me any good either, lol!

Your cupboard is like old Mother Hubbard Dr J!