The Sounds of Silence

It’s been three weeks since I last posted and so much has happened I don’t even know where to begin. To make a long story short let me just tell you that we had plenty of drama the week before the wedding. Everything from doctors visits, buying a car, rented tux’s that didn’t fit – which resulted in a tux purchase and alterations all done in 24 hours, custom made lace bolero’s that were altered too small, and a made of honor dress that wasn’t hemmed short enough.

In spite of it all we kept our focus on what mattered the most – that Katy and Esau would be married. The wedding ceremony and reception were beautiful. All those months of preperations and decision making paid off. Although I had my camera with me I never managed to get one photo! I know, can you believe it? I was able to just take it all in, enjoy myself and watch the day unfold.

Of course we will have the professional photos in a few weeks and I can hardly wait to see them. We hired a husband and wife photography team. They arrived at our house about o’ dark thirty the morning of the wedding to document the “beauty” process. We had two hairdressers and a makeup artist working their magic! My mom made scones and purchased some other goodies and set out a nice spread that morning that everyone enjoyed. I don’t know what we would have done if Grandma Jan hadn’t been here to help. By the end of the morning everyone wanted to adopt her or rather they were wishing she would adopt them! Thanks for all the help mom – you are the best and we miss you!

I will share a few photos that friends snapped with their iPhones!

The proud father of the bride – escorting his little gal down the aisle.

The happy couple!

Katy and her best friend and maid of honor Lisa.

The wedding is over, the out of town guests have all gone home and we are figuring out what our new “normal” will be. Do you hear that? It’s the sounds of silence that come with having an empty nest. After years of having children live with us we are back where we started some 33 years ago – just me and hubby Tom!

How do we feel about our empty nest? It’s roomy, refreshing, slightly strange and lovely all at the same time. Of course we hope that the children won’t forget us and will stop by often to visit!

OMG – beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is gorgeous!!!!! He is handsome! Hubby looks amazing & can’t wait to see more pics! Why is it that people think they can bring those not invited – I think that happens way too often!

I hope the doc visit thing – all is OK!!!! YIKES!

I have never had the stepkids live with us so… & I enjoy it that way. ;-)

I am so glad in general, it went OK with those few crazy things you mentioned! :-)

2. ann says:

Well the pics so far are just lovely. Glad you were able to relax and enjoy the day. Looking forward to hearing more. Enjoy the relaxation. It’s been a tough few months for you in the wedding haze.

3. Jane says:

Awesome pictures!! Congrats :) I was just thinking about you this weekend, wondering how everything was going! I hope you have time to take a deep breath now and relax a little!

Beautiful! My nest emptied again today with our weekend guests leaving this morning; my teen left on Thursday. I love it and I hope you will too:)

Love the post title, BTW.

5. Leslie says:

Congratulations!! Katie looked beautiful. W hat a huge life event for her, and for her folks!

We are also recent empty nesters, though no one has gotten married…yet! The stillness and quiet are very …different, from what we’ve known for so long! Bittersweet. I look forward to hearing more about the wedding, and maybe more pictures?!

Beautiful and bittersweet.

Your first paragraph is proof that all the stuff around the wedding does not make the marriage. All that was needed was Katie and Esau and it looks like that went off without a hitch!

7. Dawne says:

Beautiful, classy dress. I don’t think many wedding go down without a story to tell, and yours is no exception! Who invites themselves to a wedding though? Seriously? My daughter left for University out of town yesterday…I can’t imagine her leaving my home for good!

8. Tish says:

Congratulations. What a beautiful bride, happy couple and proud papa. Can’t wait to see the rest of the pix you’ll share. (the beautiful young MOTB, for instance!). Sorry about all the kerfluffles before the event. It sounds like you handled them w your usual calm and efficiency. I’m glad you’re back. I’ve missed your posts.

Sounds like some very eventful weeks! Glad everything worked out. Katie looks amazing!

Enjoy the silence! I haven’t experienced that in about 21 years… :)

10. janine says:

I’ve been checking here every evening to see if you’d returned, and hoping for some wedding pix. Yipeeee–they’re here. Your husband and Esau are both so handsome–and Katie is simply gorgeous. I love her hair and the wedding gown is perfect. She’s a beautiful bride. Can’t wait to see pics of you too.
    My nest became empty when my youngest DD left for College. Now that she’s graduated she’s getting an apt up in the Bay area–so my nest shall remain empty. I’m still enjoying it :-) Nice and relaxing. It’s always nice when she comes in for a flying visit, but they’re always short. Sorry about all the glitches–but I think they’re pretty normal. Ah well, they’re happily married, and that’s the bottom line. Congratulations, MOB.

11. Veronica says:

I bet that is kind of a sad feeling, but hopefully you can also appreciate being more free again. Congrats–the wedding looks so beautiful as did your daughter! Your home may be empty but you just gained a son…and maybe there’ll be little grandchildren visiting soon. :)

So glad you are back! Can’t wait to see more pictures. She is so gorgeous. It also struck me how happy Tom looked! And yes, of course there’s always pre-wedding drama. They’ll enjoy those stories in years to come.

Thanks so much for your email!

Whew, what a whirlwind three weeks for you! What nationality is Esau? My sister works with a Philopino (sp?) woman who had the same thing happen to her – she’d invite an aunt and uncle, and they would walk in with their three kids! They ended up with about 30 people over the actual invites!

Glad it went well though, now you can relax. :D

14. Diane Fit to the Finish says:

Beautiful couple! I can only imagine how many emotions this must have brought to the surface: pride, love, joy, etc.

I wish them a long and happy marriage!

That’s just wonderful Tami! I really enjoyed being able to share a little of this with you!

Circumstances always test us. The important thing is you guys passed the test with very high marks and made a beautiful memory of a day your daughter will remember for the rest of her life!

16. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

I’m sorry this is so late, but congratulations to your BEAUTIFUL daughter and her new husband! So glad it all came together for all of you! xxoo

Thank you Renee. It was a beautiful day.