Mushroom Onion & Gruyere Quiche with Oat Crust WWPP 8

This quiche is not like any other I have ever eaten. It is hearty but not too eggy. With a rustic crust made from rolled oats and filled with delicious ingredients like caramelized onions, a variety of sauteed mushrooms that add a deep earthy flavor, thyme one of my favorite savory flavors and finally Gruyere cheese which adds a wonderful creaminess. Every bite is delightful. You have to try this recipe – no really you do!

It was even better and more flavorful the second day and reheated beautifully in the microwave. In my attempt at including a couple of meatless meals a week on the menu I planned on serving this quiche as well as a slice of zucchini quiche (recipe to come) to hubby Tom along with a salad. Just before dinner I found out the newlyweds were stopping by and I invited them to eat with us. Knowing that my new son in law is as much of a meat eater as hubby Tom, I went ahead and heated up some Canadian bacon for the two of them. You could just tell they were thinking “wheres the meat?”

The recipe comes from Ellie Krieger’s Comfort Food Fix cookbook and called for 1 1/2 cups milk. When I went to pour the milk egg mix into the crust there was about 1/2 cup too much liquid to fit into the pan. When I compared the recipe in my cookbook to the Ellie Krieger recipe on line I saw that she only used 1 cup of milk in the TV food network recipe so I think this is a misprint in the cookbook. I baked off the extra liquid in a custard dish but when I make this again I will cut the milk back to 1 cup.

Mushroom Onion & Gruyere Quiche with Oat Crust

For the crust:

• Cooking spray
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 3 tablespoons cold, low-fat buttermilk (I used Kefir)

For the filling:

• 4 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, sliced thinly into half moons
  • 4 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster, shiitake
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dry)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 cup fat-free milk
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese (about 2 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.

To prepare the crust, put the oats, flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse 3 times to combine. Add the butter and pulse about 12 times, until you get a pebbly course texture. Add the buttermilk and pulse 3 to 5 times more to combine. Form the mixture into a ball and place it between 2 large pieces of waxed paper, chill for 1 hour or up to two days. Roll out into a circle about 10 inches in diameter in between two sheets of wax paper.

Remove the top sheet of waxed paper. Transfer the crust, still on the other piece of waxed paper to the pie dish, then remove the waxed paper from the top. Press the crust gently into the dish. Bake for 9 minutes, then let cool.

To prepare the filling, heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick pan over a medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Transfer the onions to a bowl. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan and heat over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they have released their water and begin to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the onions back to the pan, stir in the salt, pepper, mustard and thyme.

In a medium bowl whisk together the milk and flour add eggs and egg whites, whisk until well combined.

Sprinkle the cheese into the pie crust. Top with the mushroom-onion mixture and pour the egg mixture on top.  Bake for 45- 50 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into 6 wedges and serving.

Yield: 6 Servings

Per Serving

Calories 290, total fat 16g, protein 14g, carbs 24g, fiber 2g, cholesterol 135mg, sodium 410 mg  WWPP 8

Recipe adapted from Comfort Food Fix by Ellie Krieger

I was talking to someone recently about my blog and healthy eating. She asked me what I consider to be “healthy eating.” I know we all have a different view of healthy eating. When I first started my blog I wrote about my journey to get where I am today and what makes up my version of healthy eating. You can read about My Food Philosophy by clicking here.

There are folks who eat Paleo, gluten free, raw foods only, vegan, vegetarian, low carb, low fat, all organic, low sodium, low calorie, carb cycling, sugar free, no artificial sweeteners, some or a lot of artificial sweeteners, no red meat, some red meat, no processed foods, all processed foods and so on …

I don’t think there is one type of food plan that fits everyone. We are all unique and have to find the right food balance that works for us.

What about you, how do you define healthy eating?

Do you eat any meatless meals?

2 pings

1. Leslie says:

Okay – I printed the recipe before I read the post. That’s how visual a person I am, and I know your recipes are keepers, Tami. One look and I expedited the process. Now I’ll go back and read! :) Have a great w/e Tami.

Leslie I love your vote of confidence in my choice of recipes! We do seem to like a lot of the same flavors in recipes. Hope all is well with you.

I received the email notice of this post Tami!

Love quiche so I shall be trying it!

Hope your foot is improving without needing surgery!

Thanks for letting me know you got the email Carol. For some reason I don’t get it anymore so of course I thought that meant everyone was in the same boat!
      Quiche is so handy to have around for breakfast and it reheats well. I need to make another one.

My foot improved a little after the shot but no where near being back to normal. I’m not sure when I will go the next step. Timing is everything.

That really looks yummy!. This is just the sort of recipe I look for coming out of the “grill a hunk of meat” summer!

You are such an amazing cook!!!!!!

As for healthy eating – I am so with you!!! I make my own rules & I am sticking with that! :-)

Thank you Jody! If you lived closer I would cook something up just for you! We do make our own rules about eatin don’t we?
      I’m good with what I am doing too. Have a great weekend. :)

5. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

Tami, I agree with your philosophy! What I blog about fits into what I consider healthy for ME! :)

That filling in the quiche…some of my favorite things and thyme with mushrooms, onions and gruyere…best combo ever! I’m on the fence about the oat crust. I’d have to try it sometime to see if I like it. Was it chewy? Seems like it might be.

The meat thing is a well bred idea of the midwestern mind. I have a husband who is the same as yours.

You have to make this quiche Renee – I think you would like it. The oatmeal crust was delicious – it wasn’t chewy – in fact no one complained about it at all! My familly are bunch of tough food critics – they say it’s my fault for setting the bar so high! :)

Oh yes, “the midwestern well bred idea” about meat at every meal – the meat less meal concept is way beyond hubby Tom’s grasp – but I will continue to try and make it work. I even point out to him how many grams of protein are in these meatless dishes and he still doesn’t believe it will fill him up.

6. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I’ve pinned this recipe on Pinterest! I’m looking forward to trying it soon. I’m trying to incorporate less meat into our diets too.

Healthy eating has meant a lot of things to me. It used to be low fat. Then low calorie. Then low carb. Then 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. Then high protein and fat. Now I finally feel at peace with myself and am eating what I crave…in moderation of course. No foods are off limits. And I feel that’s the way it should be. :)

Jenn sounds like you and I have traveled some of the same roads! I agree with your food philosophy. It’s great to have you back in the blog sphere. :)

The quiche sounds great!

I so agree with you that we all have to find what works for us when it comes to healthy eating, exercise, etc. And what works is likely to change over the years… Personally, I know I feel best if I eat plenty of whole foods, take some time to plan, and get some sort of exercise every day.

Have a great week!

1. Top 10 Delicious Lunch Ideas | Mens Fitness News says:

[...] Hmmm!! This is Tami’s contribution to Top 10 Delicious Lunch Ideas, she is a thoughtful eater focused on nutritious food that is fresh and delicious. Her Notebook includes recipes, weight loss tips, food and product reviews. Check out her blog for the instructions to make this Mushroom Onion & Gruyere Quiche with Oat Crust. [...]

2. Italian Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms – Tastes Like Pizza! » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[...] selecting the mushrooms for the previously posted Mushroom Oinion & Gruyere Pie recipe, I picked up one of those jumbo packs of the big portabella mushrooms. I love the meatiness [...]