Pecan Tassies WWPP 3

The other night around 8:00 pm the phone rang and it was my daughter Katy with a food emergency! The recipe for one of her favorite desserts wasn’t posted here on Nutmeg Notebook and her sister in law “desperately” needed it. Months ago Katy had made a batch of these little darlings called Pecan Tassies and shared them with her husband’s family.

Katy’s sister in law had been thinking about those Pecan Tassie’s for a few days and contacted Katy asking for the recipe. I was happy to help. As we chatted on the phone I quickly typed up the recipe and emailed it to Katy. I told Katy I had recently seen a photo of the tassies in my picture file of recipes waiting to be posted and made a mental note that I need to post about them before the holiday season arrives. Then Katy revealed that she had also been thinking about the Pecan Tassies! Great minds think alike you know.

Clearly since this recipe had been weighing heavily on our minds I had no choice about what to post next.

Miniature pecan pies pretty much sums up the flavor but these are even better. I don’t care for pecan pie as it is too sweet for me. However this portion controlled delicate golden brown crust filled with a gooey pecan filling is just right. Now, you will be thinking about Pecan Tassie’s until you make them. At least you won’t have to make an emergency phone call to me to get the recipe. I know someone will ask me if you can use light cream cheese to make these and I must say that I have never tinkered with the recipe to lighten it. If you try to lighten it will  you come back and let me how it worked? Without further ado I give you the recipe for Pecan Tassies.

Pecan Tassie

•  1 – 3 ounce package cream cheese – left soften at room temperature
  • ½ cup + 1 tablespoon butter – left soften at room temperature
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon light Karo syrup
  • 1 egg
  • ¾ cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2/3 cup pecans, chopped

Cheese Pastry:

Blend together cream cheese and butter, stir in flour. Chill covered about an hour in the refrigerator. Shape into two dozen 1-inch balls. Place in ungreased (I give it a little spray with non stick spray for good measure) Teflon coated mini muffin pan. Shape into small pie crusts.

Filling:

Mix brown sugar, egg, Karo syrup, 1 tablespoon of butter, vanilla extract, salt and pecans. Put one teaspoon of filling into each pastry and bake for 25 minutes in a preheated 325 degree oven. Cool and remove from pan.

Makes 2 dozen

Serving Size: 1 tassie

Amount Per Serving

Calories 122.35, Total Fat 7.96g ,Cholesterol 23.09mg, Sodium 17.53mg, Total Carbohydrates 12.03g, Fiber 0.43g, Sugar 7.2g, Protein 1.34g WWPP 3

Recipe Source: Once upon a time the Midwest based company that my  husband works for solicited recipes from it’s employees around the US and compiled them into a cookbook. This is the first recipe I tried from that cookbook and I have been making them every holiday season since. The cookbook is not dated but I think it was published in the late 80′s or the early 90′s and this recipe came from Little Rock, Arkansas.

Last night for dinner I made the Chicken in foil packs again – they are so easy and yummy. This time I was smart and made extras. Has anyone tried them yet?

There are tons of grapes showing up in the markets right now. The red ones called Sweet Scarlet I bought a couple of days ago are the sweetest grapes I have ever tasted. They almost give you a sugar rush! Natures candy for sure. They are perfect for eating alone but we have also been enjoying them tossed in with baby greens, apple slices and Liquid Gold Salad Dressing.

Confession Time

Hi my name is Tami and I’m addicted to Starbuck’s Light Mocha Frappuccino. OMG are these things ever good! I had my first one back in the Spring on our way home from a trip to Anaheim Ca. It was late afternoon, we were hot and tired and stopped to get gas in the car. A Starbucks was nearby and well, the rest as they say is history. I’m not one who will usually spend calories on a beverage as I prefer to have something to chew on but this beverage is worth the splurge.

Almost everywhere I go these days I seem to run into a Starbucks. There is one inside the grocery store, inside Target, yet another in the strip mall next to Target. I go into the book store and guess what? Another Starbucks inside the book store, step outside of the bookstore and there is another Starbucks across the parking lot. So I order a grande size which is “only” 130 calories – not bad – but it really doesn’t offer any nutrition for that 130 calories, it’s mostly carbs. I limit myself to a max of two per week but sometimes I’m tempted to have a third as I start rationalizing what other 130 calories I could give up that day and swap for my addiction.

The weather here isn’t helping either – it’s still in the 90′s and feels more like summer than fall -  which makes me want something cold to drink – which leads to thoughts about a Grande Light Mocha Frappuccino!

Just for the record, I have only had one so far this week. :)

I love to know what you are thinking – don’t read and run – share a little.

What’s your latest favorite treat?

1. Kim says:

These sound good! Though I just started the 17 Day diet on Monday (yes took a little longer for me to realize my dieting/way of eating wasnt working to lose this 10-15 pounds so I can fit in my jeans) so wont be making them for a little while:) but my husband who likes pecan pie would love them! But I did want to say thanks for the recommendation of turkey sausage crumbles…..love them! They have made my omelete taste WONDERFUL! Though I am missing the cheese! Broccoli, egg, sausage cups/muffins are the next thing on my list to try.

I am not even a coffe drinker but you have me thinking about trying one of those frappucino things:)…..not yet though! Thanks a million for your site and sharing all your great recipes. Think you may need to put together a family recipe book for your daughter and future daughter in law…..and maybe some of your fans out here:)

Hi Kim. Thanks for leaving me a note. I had been wondering how you were doing on the 17DD. It’s tough to get started but after the first 2-3 days it all seems to fall into place and it gets easier! Hang in there. Glad to know you like the sausage crumbles -they are nice to have on hand – tons of flavor too.

I keep getting asked about a cookbook by blog readers and friends. I always thought the blog was a nice resource to keep the recipes in but I guess people would still like a cookbook. Come to think of it I prefer cookbooks to e-reader cookbooks. I like to to be able to flip back and forth through a real book and mark pages and such. I understand that making a cookbook takes a huge amount of time! I’ll have to think about it. :)

Let me know how your first week on the 17DD goes.

I am not a pecan fan but man those look good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I have to search out those grapes – sound amazing & I love grapes!!!!

Course my treat is cookies on the go – the real bakery ones – no boxed variety. ;-)

Hot here too – I am so done with this weather – gone on way too long! :-)

OK – how are your feet???

Those grapes are of course from CA so you should be able to find them. They are a smaller grape and oh so sweet!

My foot issue is still with me. The cortisone shot did help some but I guess I will have to have surgery to get back to normal. Still trying to figure it all out and decide who should do the surgery and all that. In the mean time I still ice it, have to limit my time on my feet and take it a day at a time. Thanks for asking. :)

Real bakery cookies are a great treat and since you don’t bake them at home you have portion control! Love that. :)

OH NO! So sorry about your foot Tami – not good!!!!!!

3. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

I make these tassies every Christmas! A staple for sure!

LOL…don’t you know starbucks evil plan is to take over the world?? lol My very favorite starbucks treat this time of year is the salted caramel mocha…I have them make it fat free, no whip, and as sugar free as they can get it…but like you said, still full of carbs…but the caramel topping and the salt…oh my…bring it on! lol I think they make it in a frapaccino version too!

That Caramel mocha sounds like heaven! We need to figure out how to make these at home Renee. :)

I am not shocked that you also make these tassies – I think you are my long lost sister!

4. Frances says:

Tami – what is karo syrup? and what would be a good substitute. I’m not familiar with this and can’t get in Chile.
    Thanks,
    Frances

Hi Frances! I am so excited to have a reader in Chile. Karo syrup is a corn syrup made for use in baking and candy making. You could subsitute Lyle’s Golden Syrup, honey, brown rice syrup (Lundberg makes a brown rice syrup I use http://nutmegnotebook.com/2011/05/brown-rice-crispy-treats-drizzled-with-chocolate/) agave nectar,molasses,maple syrup or cane syrup. Do you have any of these products available in Chile? The purpose for the corn syrup is to help the sugar from crystalizing and getting grainy. It also helps the filling mixture to remain smooth and creamy but since it is such a smalll amount called for in this recipe I think that one of the substitutes will work just fine.

If you make them please come back and let me know hwo they turned out. Happy baking. :)

5. Veronica says:

Awww! I’ve never had pecan tassies but I have a hand-written recipe for them from my mother. Now I know I have to make them in her honor! I looove pecan pie and lightening up the sweet factor sounds great to me-that pie is crazy sweet! Hey, do they actually sell 3 oz packages of cream cheese where you live? i have several recipes calling for these small packages but I’ve never encountered them anywhere and it makes me scratch my head. Where are they selling these small packages?

Veronica I checked on line and they do still make a 3 ounce pkg of brick cream cheese! Most stores seem to only stock the 8 ounce one though and I haven’t seen the 3 ounce pkg is a long time. I have found that grocery stores that are near retirement communities carry smaller pkgs of food.

I have a similar recipe and these are actually something we traditionally make at Christmas time. Several years ago, I bought a tool from Pampered Chef that shapes crusts perfectly in those mini tart pans. One of those kitchen tools that is a great inivestment! Here’s the link to it:

I do have that tool Helen! It does work really well and I love Pampered Chef products.

7. Double Dipped Life says:

Hi Tami! I found one of your recipes on pinterest, and got hooked here for at least 30 minutes! You have some great recipes.

Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by the blog and I am happy to know you are enjoying the recipes!

8. Lori says:

I like the tassies and I also like pecan pie. Funny, I don’t eat tons of sweets per se, but I don’t mind super sweet stuff like pecan pie. Go figure.

My fall obsession is candy corn :D

Lori have you ever tried candy corn mixed with salted peanuts? My mom use to make that mixture and it is to die for! Warning – it is highly addictive!

Pecan pie is hands down my husbands favorite pie – I need to make these for him – stat!! Thanks for sharing Tami!

I make skinny cafe mochas at work – 1 package 25 calorie diet cocoa mix (Swiss Miss is the brand we have) 2 cups of coffee, 2 tablespoons of sugar free creamer, served over ice and then a swirl of whip cream on top – mine come in at around 70 calories and are so good!

Biz I think Tony will love these little bite sized gems! Thanks for the skinny cafe mocha idea. Sounds yummy!

I haven’t had tassies in years! My aunt used to make them every Christmas, but none of the rest of us have made them in her absence.

I’m not really having any food obsessions these days. I don’t know what’s up with that, but I’m going to roll with it for a while.I’m sure something will turn up sooner or later. :)

Cammy perhaps you can make some pecan tassies for the family this year! What no cupcakes or fro-yo lately for you?

11. Diane, fit to the finish says:

I have a variation of this recipe and I make them sometimes. I like that they are small so I can easily have one without feeling guilty!

No guilt treats are the key Diane!

12. Sara says:

Hi Tami – Thanks for recommending a pan with Teflon® nonstick coating for your Pecan Tassie recipe. I represent DuPont and it’s always a pleasure to see people recommending our products.

If you are interested in some recipes to look at for your cookware with Teflon® nonstick coatings, visit http://www.scribd.com/TeflonBrand! Thanks. Cheers, Sara

13. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I’m not sure how I missed your last 3 posts, but I did! Now I’ve got some catching up to do!

I LOVE pecan pies! I do prefer the mini tart sizes though because I prefer the higher crust to filling ratio. Many many moons ago, I used to buy (and inhale) entire trays at a time. Maybe I can convince my husband to make these for me around the holidays. (I’m no baker!)

My Starbucks addiction is the full fat White Chocolate Mocha. At 400 calories a pop, I *try* to keep them to a minimum, but ooooo……it’s hard! I do count them into my day’s calories so they are never a surprise, but like you, I don’t like to drink my calories. And my 400 calories *can* break the bank!

That white chocolate mocha must be delicious but wow at 400 calories!