Roasted Garlic Chicken & Potato Foil Packs

Have you ever made single serving foil pack meals? It’s a twist on the French “en papillote” meaning - parchment paper packets, where you steam your fish or chicken with vegetables and a little white wine or broth. Not nearly as “classy” as parchment paper but it is super easy, can be assembled ahead of time and the clean up is a breeze. That’s my kind of cooking! Years ago I made quite a few different foil pack meals but then they got bumped off the menu. Until the other day when I happened across the recipe for one of our favorites from days gone by.

Prep the veggies by slicing them in uniform thickness for even cooking. If you slip the potato slices into a bowl of cold water they won’t turn dark as you prep the rest of the ingredients. Drain the potato slices and lay them on a bed of paper towels to soak up the excess water before layering them in the foil packs. Spray the foil pieces with non stick spray. Starting with the chicken, drizzle with a little olive oil, season with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of your favorite herbs. Layer on some thin slices of fresh garlic. Proceed with layers of your chosen vegetables. Another little drizzle of olive oil, more herbs and a just a splash of white wine or broth. Bring the edges of the foil up and crimp it to seal the foil packs. Place on a baking sheet for the oven. Of course if you want you can toss these on a preheated BBQ grill.

You can make one, two or ten foil pack meals. I prepped my foil packs early in the day, then refrigerated until ready to cook.  An hour in the oven and dinner is ready. Be careful of the hot steam when you open the foil packs. Using a wide spatula slide the contents onto a plate.

Everything is cooked to perfection. The aroma of the roasted garlic was intoxicating! Tons of flavor and so tender and moist.  I should have doubled the recipe as we would have loved leftovers. It’s going on the menu again real soon.

Roasted Garlic Chicken & Potato Foil Packs

• 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 ounces each)
  • Salt & freshly ground black pepper
  • Dried herb of your choice – I like Herbs de Provence
  • 4-6 garlic cloves, peeled, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 carrots, peeled, sliced
  • 1 medium size baking potato, thinly sliced – I used half of a white potato and half of a sweet potato
  • 2 tablespoons white wine, chicken broth or apple juice
  1. Preheat oven or BBQ to 350 degrees.
  2. Tear off two sheets of aluminum foil about 13-14 inches each, spray with non stick spray.
  3. Lay chicken breast in middle of foil, drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon oil, season with salt and pepper and herb of your choice.
  4. Layer half of the garlic and onions over each chicken breast.
  5. Spread carrots over the onion, then layers of potato. Don’t worry if some of it falls off -it won’t all stay put.
  6. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon olive oil over the top of each stack, sprinkle with more herbs and salt and pepper to taste and white wine.
  7. Bring the edges of the foil up around the chicken and fold it over, crimping the edges to create a tight seal.
  8. If baking in the oven place the foil packs on a baking sheet to catch any juices that might escape. Bake for about one hour depending on how thick the chicken breast are.
  9. Be careful of the hot steam when you open the foil packs. Cut into the chicken breast and make sure the juices are clear or insert a meat thermometer, chicken is considered done at a temperature of 165.
  10. Using a wide spatula carefully slide the contents onto a plate.

Note: If you slip the potato slices into a bowl of cold water they won’t turn dark as you prep the rest of the ingredients. When ready to assemble drain the potato slices and lay them on a bed of paper towels to soak up the excess water before layering them in the foil packs.

Yield: 2 servings

Per serving; 321 calories, 31 g protein, 33g carbs, 6.5 g fat, 68 mg. cholesterol, 4g fiber

Adapted from a Web MD recipe.

My cooking mojo seems to be coming back! Although I have to take it slow (my foot will only tolerate me standing for so long) some old favorite recipes as well as a few new ones managed to be created over the past week.

I came up with a new smoothie. Think tropical.

A caramelized onion mushroom tart with oatmeal crust.

A zucchini quiche type dish that Helen posted about.

This Peanut butter chocolate dessert that knocked our socks off!

Even hubby Tom got in on the cooking action, working on his Traeger Smoker skills over the weekend in between household chores. M-m-m-m good!

Mushroom barley soup.

Italian Stuffed Portabella mushrooms.

More Stuffed Banana Boats.

Ice cream may have been involved as well.

It was a working weekend for us as we got a lot of household chores done. I will tell you all about that later in the week. Today I go back to the doc to see the x-rays of my foot. I am doing better :) , but far from being back to normal. My foot/toe still swells, still hurts and my standing/walking time is limited but getting better. It’s progress. I like progress.

You get to vote!

Which recipe from above would you like to have me post about next?

On Thursday I will post the recipe that gets the most votes.

1 ping

1. Jane says:

Wow that is quite the packet! I’ve only tried to do that once, and it didn’t work out so well :) Yours look so pretty!

Jane I have made these several times in years past and they always cook to perfection.Give this recipe a try!

Which recipe would you like me to post about next?

Love the idea of mixing sweet and white potato! The last foil pack thing I did was grilled cinnamon sweet potatoes from paloOMG. They were the bomb.

Oh Helen that sounds like a wonderful recipe. Did you post about it on your blog?

You forgot to vote for the which recipe I should post about next! :)

Love the sound of the Onion Mushroom Tart – it gets my vote for next recipe.

Ah, sweet memories. Many, MANY years ago when Bill was in grad school and we were poor as church mice, someone came up with the idea of the foil packs and we took that concept and made it into something fun with so many varieties you can’t even imagine. Bill & I were among the few of our friends that had a grill, so we’d all get together and everyone would bring a veggie and whatever meat they had. Somehow, we’d make it all work so everyone had a foil packet. Honestly, sometimes we didn’t even all have meat in ours, just veggies. But like I said, what sweet, sweet memories. Thanks for reminding me. We still have some variety of this quite often and always take a minute to remind ourselves how grateful we are that we can afford any kind of meat we want!!!

Sharon thank you for sharing that trip down memory lane. We have fond memories of the “lean” early years as well. Sweet memories indeed.

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love that Tami! I think that chocolate PB dessert next! ;-)

Hope your foot gets better! So sorry about that!

Oh that sweet tooth – the PD dessert is awesome!

5. Kim says:

The good in me says the tropical smoothie……..the curious side says the peanut butter dessert! Cant wait to try the foil packets. I just need to be home 1 hour before dinner in order to try, maybe this weekend. With three kids playing sports this fall the crockpot has become my new best friend. Meatballs in marinara sauce in the crockpot for meatball sandwiches, and a pasta salad in the fridge, and ripe pears for dessert. For me cooked chicken and grilled veggies I made earlier today. Thanks for the idea to make up a batch and just heat on an as needed basis:)

Great planning ahead Kim! Everything sounds wonderful and it sure will make life easier. It is a busy time of year when you have kids involved in activities.

6. Judy Woo says:

I vote for the carmelized onion mushroom tart!! I need to find ways to like mushrooms and this sounds like a winner!!

It was even better the second day!

Well, you can never EVER go wrong with PB & chocolate .:)

So glad the foot is feeling better! *Some* progress is better than no progress.

PB & Chocolate are one of my favorite combos! I’ll take some progress over no progress any day. :)

My hubs will only eat veggies in foil packs – no protein because he says it tastes like its boiled – he’s crazy!

I’d like to see the turkey breast recipe – my store routinely sells fresh turkey breasts year round. :D

9. Ann says:

That looks great, I’m printing that to try ASAP. And simple. I like simple. My hubby doesn’t do mushrooms so anything with that won’t work so I’ll just HAVE to choose the chocolate. Ha ha! Also the stuff on the smoker looks delish! Gotta love a man who will cook!

10. lishou says:

I believe avoiding refined foods could be the first step to be able to lose weight. They will taste beneficial, but refined foods have got very little nutritional value, making you take more to have enough strength to get through the day. When you are constantly consuming these foods, transferring to grain and other complex carbohydrates will make you to have more strength while consuming less. Interesting blog post.

1. Pecan Tassies WWPP 3 » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[...] night for dinner I made the Chicken in foil packs again – they are so easy and yummy. This time I was smart and made extras. Has anyone tried [...]