Sun Butter, Flat Breads, Guacamole -Food Finds

It’s easy to get in the habit of eating the same things week after week. The KISS (keep it super simple) method of food planning has it merits. It doesn’t take a lot of brain work to buy what you always buy and cook what you always cook. The only problem with that method is after awhile it gets really boring. When the food plan gets boring it’s easy to stray from your healthy eating plan.  We all need a little variety in our food plans so why not step out of your regular routine and try something new?

For some variety I decided to try this Sunflower Seed Butter from Trader Joe’s. Upon opening it for the first time you have to do some major stirring to incorporate the oil that has risen to the top of the jar. Once you have it well combined it will stay that way as long as you refrigerate it. This does have added sweetener to it so I found it to be sweeter than nut butters. At first I wasn’t sure that I liked it but it grew on me. It can be used for baking in place of any nut butter, spread on whole wheat toast, banana slices, apple slices or simply mixed into hot oatmeal.

This can be a good choice for someone with nut allergies. Sunflower seed butter is a good source of protein, fiber, zinc and iron, and is low in saturated fat. Sunflower butter is rich in three B vitamins. It’s not low calorie by any means but 1 tablespoon goes a long way. Don’t have a TJ;s near you, well other brands of Sunflower Seed butter are available at Whole Foods and health food stores.

For years I have seen these on other blogs but was never able to find them here in Northern CA. A while back I was in a Walmart and spotted these in the bread aisle. I scooped up a bag to try. What a great find!

They are a huge flat bread that is low in calories, high in fiber and actually quite tasty. I have used them for wraps, burritos, pizza and for dipping in hummus. You could cut these up and bake them to make little crackers like I do with the California Lavash. Love it!

I’ve been buying these for quite some time but if memory serves me correctly I don’t think I have ever posted about them. These can be found in the refrigeration section of most grocery stores. It’s pre made guacamole in single serving 100 calorie packs. How perfect is that?

It actually tastes really good too. Once you get them home you can toss them in the freezer to have on hand whenever you need just a little guacamole for one or two. They thaw out quickly. I put a single packet in a glass of cold water and it thaws out in about 10 minutes. Hubby Tom gives these two thumbs up. We like this on a taco salad, on a Baked Chicken Chimichanga, on top of Chicken Enchiladas, on Chicken Nachos with Baked Chips, or spread some on Josehph’s lavash and make a wrap with black beans, salsa and shredded lettuce. Delicious.

Disclosure: All of these food finds were things that I purchased with my own money and I was not compensated for these reviews.

The other day hubby Tom and I happened to be near a different grocery store than where we usually shop so we went in to buy a few things. Since we didn’t know the lay out of the store it took some looking around to find what we wanted. What I realized in this process is that I actually noticed different products on the shelves. Brands that I hadn’t seen before in the stores I usually shop in. I realized it might actually be a good idea to shop some different stores now and then just to shake things up a bit. The stores I frequent might even have some of the new things I saw. If I take the time to look around a little instead of just focusing on the getting the same old things I always buy, a few new foods might show up in my grocery cart. Although I do like to try new recipes and that adds variety to our menu there is always room for improvement.

Remember that variety in the foods we eat not only keeps us from getting bored but it also means that we are getting a greater variety of nutrients.

Share A Comment

Do you change up your food plan?

One of the things I enjoy about shopping at the Farmer’s Market is that the selection of produce is always changing as the seasons change. You automatically have that built in variety.

1. Sue says:

I noticed that my library carried Pam Anderson’s “The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating Great” cookbook that you often refer to. I checked it out, and so far I have cooked the granola, creamy light pasta, and slaw-topped Mexican Flatbread. I will definitely be making all three recipes again. Looking forward to trying more of her recipes.

Good for you Sue. That is one of my favorite cookbooks. After I made Pam’s granoal my daughter said she would never eat store bought granola again! I love that creamy light pasta as well and both of those recipes are here on the blog. I have not made teh slaw topped Mexican flatbread so thank you for letting me know it will be a repeat recipe for you! Enjoy your new recipes! :)

I change what I eat seasonally for sure. But in general I am a person who likes variety especially in the main meal of the day.

I would like to find another nut butter besides peanut butter. I have tried almond a couple times and do not like it. Not sure I’d like this one either, especially since I prefer a salty taste over sweet.

I am the same way Helen – like to have my dinner meal be something different! I have found that different brands of almond butter taste differently. I am going to try and find an unsweetened version of sunflower butter to try.

3. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

I love TJ’s sunbutter, but only get a jar every once in awhile since it is sweetened (and I find that I have a few more licks and tastes than necessary.) Have you tried Sunbutter products? (http://www.sunbutter.com/) They have an unsweetened sunflower seed butter. I have not been able to get my hands on any of them though because the shelves are always empty. Guess it’s a popular product around here.

I tend to eat the same thing for a week and then switch it up for the next week. I also tend to buy the same veggies over and over at the market. I just signed up for a 4 week CSA program so it will definitely force me out of my comfort level. I have no idea what to expect for my first fruits and veggies box this week! I am excited though. :)

Thanks for the tip about the sunbutter products I will have to look for those at my Whole Foods. It’s so easy to go overboard with nut butters – they are so darn tasty!

I can’t wait to see what you get in your CSA box! I have friends who get those weekly and it’s fun to hear about what they get and what they make with it. I haven’t been able to move out of my need to control my menu in order to give the CSA a try. Instead I go to my weekly Farmer’s Mkt and make my choices. Who knows maybe someday I will give the CSA a try.

I tried Sunbutter’s sunflower seed butter a few years ago, and it was a good diversion but not something I kept in the rotation, It’s available at many mainstream groceries, I think, if you’d like to try an unsweetened version.

I have yet to try lavash! Maybe I’ll experiment with some pizzas in the cooler months.

Thanks for the information Cammy. I am going to look for it the next time I grocery shop.

Off topic :-)

Tami, have you talked to your podiatrist about using two liners in your shoes and cutting a small hole in the liner next to your foot just under where your toe hurts? This “doughnut hole” can relieve the force on your toe and allow it to heal. I invented this for myself because of Morton’s neuroma and it worked for me.

What a great idea Dr J! He gave me metatarsal pads to attach to my shoe inserts and they help to take pressure off my second toe. It has improved slightly but no where near normal.

You need a metatarsal BAR which will create a tent over the area.

I know it’s not my area of expertise, but need educated me :-)

Cut a hole in the center of the pad and see if it’s any better.

Thanks for the information Dr J. I am looking into it. :)

My stepdaughter buys the sunflower seed butter for her daughter that has allergies. I like my PB & almond butter & can get them no salt so I stick to that…. I know I like these better than sunflower seeds so I just never bought from TJs. Maybe one day but not yet. ;-)

Other goodies look good too.

I tend to stick to the same foods. It works for me & I know how they work with my bod & nutritional stats. Occasionally I will add/delete.

I love that you give stats cause many don’t with their recipes & for me & how I have to really watch my food & especially with age, I need to know the stats so I can figure out how it works for me. I am too lazy to do it myself! ;-)

We all have to do what works for us Jody and you have proven that what you do works! I try to give the nutritional stats for most of the foods I talk about and of course the recipes too. I always appreciate it when other sites provide the nutritional information. It’s good to know you find it helpful.

I love, love, love the 100 calorie guacamole packs – I am awful at buying fresh avocados – I either buy them too hard, and then they turn on me before I use them, or they are way overripe – and sometimes they cost $1 each! That’s a great idea on defrosting them, I usually put one in my lunch box in the morning and by lunch its thawed.

Yep it takes away the frustration of buying the wrong avocado be it too ripe or not ripe enough. I like portion control too!

8. Roz@weighitngfor50.com says:

I love new food finds. It definately shakes things up and gives me more ideas on how to use them. Have a wonderful Tuesday Tami!!

Thanks Roz. Hope you are having a good week,

9. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

I have also been buying those guac packs….love them! Love using them on my eggbeaters. Eggs and avocado is one of my fav combos! I’ve tried the sunbutter. But didn’t like it…which surprised me, because I LOVE sunflower seeds. Have a great weekend Tami!

On egg beaters sounds yummy! Thanks for the tip.

I used to buy the individual guacamole packs. They are so good & convenient!

Unfortunately, I don’t change things up often enough, at least not when it comes to the grocery store. I do buy pretty much all my produce (and the little meat we eat) at the farmers’ market however, so things change a lot with the seasons.

Have a great weekend!

That’s what I love about the Farmer’s Mkt it introduces you to seasonal produce and instant variety!