Malaysian Lime-Coconut Halibut

Seafood is something that use to intimidate me – when it comes to cooking it, that is. Like most things in life the more you do it, the better you get! I no longer fear cooking fish. My son David told me I’m fearless when it comes to trying new recipes. Well I don’t know about that, but I do enjoy trying new foods and new recipes that move me out of my comfort zone. One of hubby Tom’s clients shared their halibut catch from a fishing trip. I knew this fish was special and deserved to be treated as such. I set out to find a recipe worthy of such a gift. When I read the ingredient list for this Malaysian Lime Coconut recipe I was sold. I had all but one ingredient on the list and it gave an alternative for lemon grass so I was good to go.

I guarantee that you’ll be tempted to lick your plate. But don’t – remember your mom taught better than that. :) A few oven roasted vegetables is all you need to complete this “healthydelectableyoujusthavetotryit” – yes that’s one word - meal.

The recipe called for swordfish but I knew that halibut would be a good substitute. Use any firm white fish and be ready to swoon over your plate. The sauce is comprised of light coconut milk, lemon peel, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, Thai chili paste, shallots, garlic and fresh cilantro. A little whirl in the food processor makes for an almost instant sauce. This recipe is wickedly easy and company worthy. It taste like something from a five star restaurant and yet it only takes minutes to prepare. That’s my kind of recipe. There will be coconut milk leftover but don’t worry I have another recipe to share that will help use it.

Malaysian Lime-Coconut Halibut or Swordfish

•  1/3 cup light coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons thinly sliced peeled fresh lemon grass (about 1 stalk) or 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon Thai chili paste (such as Dynasty)
  • 2 shallots, peeled
  • 1 garlic clove, peeled
  • 1 (1-1/2-pound) swordfish steak (about 1 inch thick)
  • Cooking spray
  • Cilantro sprigs (optional)
  • Lemon wedges (optional)

Preparation time: 12 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes

1. Preheat broiler.

2. Combine first 9 ingredients in a food processor; pulse 3 times or until coarsely chopped. Place fish on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; spread 1/2 cup shallot mixture evenly over fish. Broil 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve the fish with the remaining shallot mixture, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and lemon wedges, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 5 ounces fish and 2 tablespoons

sauce).

Lemon grass gives a characteristic citrus flavor and fragrance to many Asian dishes. You’ll find this herb with long, thin, gray-green leaves in the produce section of many supermarkets. You can substitute grated lemon peel, but cut the amount by half.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:

CALORIES 255 (30% from fat); FAT 8.5g); PROTEIN 36.8g; CARB 5.4g; FIBER 0.2g; CHOL 71mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 840mg; CALC 18mg WWPP 6

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: July 2000

Just a little update on my foot although I am sure you are all sick of reading about it. I saw my orthopedic surgeon on Wednesday and we had a great reunion. He looked a lot older – but I’m sure I haven’t aged a bit! Ya, right. He spent nearly an hour with me and thoroughly went over my foot x-rays and documenting all the details of my foot issue. In the end he said he agreed with the conservative treatment the podiatrist had taken and he would have done those same things. He also affirmed the fact that given I have already tried all there is to try and have had little improvement that surgery is needed. Then he dropped the bomb – he no longer does this type of surgery. I was kind of expecting that but was holding out hope.

He did however refer me to a colleague who is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet and ankles. My surgeon said it’s time to get my foot fixed so I can get back on the hiking trails. He is also a hiker as well as a mountain climber and he just loves to talk about it. He gave us (hubby Tom was with me) advice on they proper type of hiking boots to get and talked to us about our hiking trails and such until his nurse opened the door and reminded him that he did have other patients to see.

The referral has been sent and I am waiting for the other orthopedic office to call me for an appointment. This will be the fourth doctor I have seen about my foot and I sure hope he is last.

Birthday Blessings and Wedding Photos!

Three generations! Grandma Jan, Katy and me. Katy’s birthday is tomorrow so I just have to brag a little about my first born. Katy is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside. Working hard she has already earned two bachelors degrees one in English and the other in Spanish she is well on her way to being a fabulous high school teacher.

Katy and her little brother David.

Since day one she has “mothered” and taught her little brother everything she thought he should know. He didn’t always appreciate having two mothers! She couldn’t wait to learn how to read and once she did she felt like she had been let in on a big secret. Books were devoured as her love of reading emerged. Telling her to put a book down was the worse punishment she could imagine. Her love of language kept growing . From a young age she was intrigued with Spanish culture and decided she wanted to become fluent in Spanish and she did. She was born to be a teacher.

Katy is my daughter, my friend, my shopping partner as well as my wardrobe, make up and hairstyle adviser. :) She is level headed, honest, hard working,virtuous and an old soul. A little princess in her father’s eye.

Now also a princesa (princess) to her husband. We are proud of who she is and that she stands up for what she believes in and lives her life being true to her faith. We celebrate the day you came into our lives and changed our world for the better. Happy Birthday Katy!

Add Your Thoughts I always enjoy reading what’s on your mind.

1 ping

I’m sorry to hear you have to have surgery but the doc is right, enough is enough! I would love to know what sort of hiking boots he recommended – that’s one of the items I’m shopping for, for our big Grand Canyon trip next year. Not being a regular hiker I am clueless!

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful daughter.

2. Veronica says:

Well you’ve sold me on the fish! I pinned it and do hope to try it sooner rather than later. Your daughter is such a beautiful bride and she does sound just as beautiful on the inside, as well as very intelligent! I can’t believe how tall your son is! Before you know it, there might be a fourth generation female to add to that picture. :)

3. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

Happy bday to Katie! Such a gorgeous family you have Tami! Each and everyone of you!

I feel I would be more apt to make fish dishes if I had good, fresh fish more available to me. I know many ppl around here that love lake fish ( trout, walleye, and perch) but I just don’t like it much. I prefer ocean fish…and well…living where I live, unless I get it frozen, I don’t have much choice and even then, the frozen choices are only a few. I love to try new fishes when I dine out on vacation near the ocean though. One of the best fish dishes I have ever eaten was in Charleston, SC. This dish sounds wonderful too!

Sorry to hear about the foot. Hope it all works out for you! Have a great weekend!

4. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

Hi Tami,
    LOVE the photos from the wedding. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!!!!!!

5. Tish says:

I’m glad things are progressing on the foot front. I know it must be very frustrating not to be able to get out there on the trails.
    Thank you for the wedding pix. Your Katy is beautiful, inside and out as you say.

Tami – not the best news to have surgery BUT good that he agreed & you are on your way to just getting on with life & hopefully back on the trails!!!! HUGE HUGS!

LOVE THE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ALL ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Judy says:

Oh my gosh–what a beautiful family!! I’ve always known this–but you all look so lovely dressed in your “Wedding” clothes!! Grandma Jan is lookin’ good too!!
    I can see all the love and joy just beaming from all of you!! O”Happy Day!
    So sorry about your foot–geesh–you try to do the right thing–exercising etc. and wham! Your Doc is right–do what you’ve got to do so you can get back on the trails!!
    Ps. Can you come be my chef? I need some help!!! :)

Thanks for the kind words Judy! :) Come visit me and I would be happy to cook for you! The news about my foot is a bummer but I just want to get it taken care of, get through the recovery phase and move on with life. Hope you have a great weekend!

8. The Candid RD (Gina) says:

This recipe sounds fabulous!! I like the unique twist with the coconut and lime. Yum.

Your daughter looks beautiful at her wedding!! I just got married so I’m loving looking at wedding photos now, they mean a lot more now that I’ve been there myself!

Congratulations on your wedding! It’s so much fun to see the photos and remember the events of the day.

Beautiful!

I really love the pictures and your thoughts that accompany them, Tami!

The fish dish looks great and something that I would love to make! I haven’t seen Halibut here lately, and and don’t know why. I had the good fortune of meeting the current Mrs World Malaysia this year! If I had known of your recipe then, I would have asked her opinion on it, lol!

That’s pretty cool that you met Mrs. World Malaysia!

11. janine says:

that fish dish sounds wonderful. Definitely a flavor combination I’ve never tried–but it does sound yummy.
    The pictures are lovely–everyone looks beautiful (even your men).
    Beautiful and loving words about Katy–it’s lovely to see how much you love your family. Happy Happy Birthday to her.
    Prayers will be sent up for your foot and your quick return to hiking and walking again.

Thanks for the kind words and prayers Janine! :)

12. Ann says:

She is just lovely. Congrats!

13. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

Wow…that is my kind of fish dish! I wonder if I can sub with tilapia?

Oh my…your Katie is stunning! (Heck, your whole family is beautiful!) And she sounds equally beautiful inside as well. She is lucky to have you as her mama!

I would say that Tilapia tenderloins would work like the ones from Costco as they are thicker than filets.

Thank you for your kind remarks! :)

14. Michele R says:

Tami –

I made this with halibut — and it was DELICIOUS!!!! We will definitely be making this again!!!!! I just LOVE your blog. Thanks for all you do!!!!

Hi Michele! Thanks for the feeback – so glad you liked this recipe. It’s a keeper for sure.

Thank you for the kind remarks and most of all thank you for taking the time to comment. It encourages me to keep blogging if I know that people are using the recipes and finding value in what I post about. :)

Have a fantastic day.