Spicy Coconut Shrimp Stew

Last week I made that “lick your plate clean” amazing Malaysian Lime Coconut Halibut recipe which left me with an open partially used can of light coconut milk. I had seen a recipe in Perfect One – Dish Dinners that called for light coconut milk and since it made 8 servings I simply cut the recipe in half. That was a mistake people, I should have made the entire recipe as this dish is beautiful, fragrant and over the top delicious! Son David happened to stop by for lunch the day this was being served up and he thought he hit the jack pot!

Get the veggies chopped before you begin this recipe as it cooks up quickly.

You’ll be feasting on a big bowl of creamy goodness in just minutes.

Light, fresh, flavorful and low calorie – this Thai inspired recipe is going on the menu again soon.

Spicy Coconut Shrimp Stew

• 3 lb. jumbo (21 to 25 per lb.) shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into very thin 1-1/2-inch-long strips
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts kept separate)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 14.5-oz. can petite-diced tomatoes, drained
  • 13.5- or 14-oz. can coconut milk
  • 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice

In a large bowl, sprinkle the shrimp with 1 tsp. salt; toss to coat, and set aside.

Heat the oil in a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring, until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Add the scallion whites, 1/4 cup of the cilantro, the garlic, and the pepper flakes. Continue to cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.

Add the tomatoes and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer to blend the flavors and thicken the sauce slightly, about 5 minutes.

Add the shrimp and continue to cook, partially covered and stirring frequently, until the shrimp are just cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Add the lime juice and season to taste with salt. Serve sprinkled with the scallion greens and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro.

Serving Suggestions

Serve over 1/2 cup brown rice per serving if desired.

Yield: 8 servings

Nutrition Information (not including optional rice)

Per serving; Calories (kcal): 270; Fat (g): 15; Fat Calories (kcal): 140; Saturated Fat (g): 10; Protein (g): 29; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 3; Carbohydrates (g): 6; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1; Sodium (mg): 580; Cholesterol (mg): 250; Fiber (g): 1; WWPP 5

Recipe adapted from Pam Anderson’s Perfect One-Dish Dinners

We celebrated Katy’s birthday with a little chocolate cake and home made rich chocolate sauce. It’s been Katy’s favorite cake for years. Not just her but everyone loves this cake and the rich chocolate sauce drizzled over the top of each slice is pure chocolate heaven.

It’s made in a mini bundt pan so it’s a smaller cake. Hubby Tom and I enjoyed our one serving and sent the leftovers home with the newlyweds. You would never know this cake has been lightened – it’s full on chocolate bliss. If you want to bake it check out the recipe here.

It was a beautiful Sunday evening so we were seated on the patio at one of our favorite restaurants.

Over the weekend I made a large batch of Beef and Bean Chili in the slow cooker. This morning it was portioned into freezer containers for future meals. Soup and chili make for great lunches! There is something so filling and satsifying about them. Fall is in the air people!

Have yourself a good week.

Add Your Two Cents Worth – Leave A Comment :)

Do you like Thai food?

We have just recently started going out for Thai food and I am interested in trying more Thai recipes at home too. I like the little bit of heat, love lime and cilantro and of course coconut milk. At least at home I can control the calories in each dish.

1. Jane says:

Wow, that does look good! The chocolate cake too :) I wish my hubby liked shrimp!!!

2. Lori says:

I love thai food! Yum! That recipe looks so yummy, too.

Love that photo of both of you. Frameable :D

Such a beautiful pic of you two!!!!!

Not a fan of shrimp but love the recipe & that cake looks delish! I am a sweet person!
    :-)

How are you doing with the foot???

Thanks for the kind words Jody. I like that photo too. :)
      My foot was really acting up this weekend. I had a great deal of pain Saturday and ended up having to stay off it in the afternoon and keep an ice pack handy and take pain meds. I guess I over did it on Friday with grocery shopping and cooking. Yesterday it was a little better and then today another day of pain. I can’t wait to get this taken care of and move on from all of this.

I’m waiting for a call back from the orthopedic sugreon who specializes in feet and ankles. I called today and got the schedulers voice mail, left a message and didn’t hear back so I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the care and concern. It’s always appreciated. :)

Tami – SO SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just hope you get in soon so you can get back to a pain free life! HUGS!

4. The Candid RD (Gina) says:

I think we are on the same brain wavelength this week. First, I almost made that spicy coconut recipe (or one similar to it) because I found it online and I had tons of shrimp (but, I can’t eat coconut, which is REALLY sad!). Second, I am making slow cooker texas chili tomorrow on my day off. Can’t wait for the first chili of the season!

Gina we are on the same foodie wavelength! Enjoy that chili.

I’m definitely making this recipe. I’ve been craving shrimp and it looks perfect to go along with the cool temperatures we’re suddenly having!

You need to frame that photo, it’s lovely!

Shrimp is one of my favorite treats!

Pan-Asian food is my favorite, so yes, I like Thai, although I do admit that I go for mild when it comes to how “hot” it is.

Just give me Asian food, a set of chopsticks, and Mrs World Malaysia and I’m a happy guy, lol!!

I also go for the mild and even then it can be pretty hot! I think Mrs World Malaysia made quite an impression on you Dr J! :)

7. Michele R says:

I made this tonight — and it is a keeper!!!! We really enjoyed it! Also, I could believe how easy this went together!!!! Thanks for sharing your yummy recipes!

You are cooking up a storm! I love recipes that have big results and are quick and easy to make.
      So glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you for leaving me comments about both recipes you tried. You are awesome!