Baked Fish with Soy-Sesame Drizzle

It’s time to lighten up and enjoy a fish meal! One of my favorite fool proof ways to cook fish comes from chef and cookbook author Pam Anderson. It’s all done in the oven and you don’t even have to turn the fish. No preheating the oven either - sounds crazy but trust me when I tell you that it works and your fish will come out perfect every time. This recipe has a little Asian flare which is a nice change after all that holiday food. Go ahead and fill the rest of the plate with low calorie vegetables for a filling, healthy meal that takes just minutes to make.

Use your favorite white fish. Shown here is the Kirkland Wild Caught Hake. Tilapia, trout, cat fish, sole, red snapper, cod or turbot would also work. I even think salmon would be good with the Asian sauce but, wild caught salmon has gotten so expensive!

There will be plenty of sauce so you can even drizzle a little over your side vegetables. The sauce contains some red pepper flakes and they give it a little kick which is nice since the Hake is a mild flavored fish. You could add a scoop of brown rice if you want a little healthy starch on your plate. Stir fried vegetables would be fun too. I went the easy route with oven roasting a couple baking sheets of vegetables in my other oven. When we built this house I debated about getting double ovens – I wasn’t sure I needed two. One is a convection oven and the other a regular oven. I use both of them all the time – now I can’t imagine not having two ovens!

Baked Fish with Soy-Sesame Drizzle

• 1  1/2 pounds fish fillets, hake, trout, tilapia, catfish, red snapper, cod or turbot
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper

Soy-Sesame Drizzle

• 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 teaspoons sugar

Spray a large rimmed baking sheet (line with foil for easy clean up) with non stick cooking spray. Arrange fish on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic powder to taste.

Position oven rack on the lowest level, place baking sheet on oven rack and turn oven to 400 degrees. Bake until fish is opaque about 15 – 17 minutes depending on thickness of fillets. Meanwhile prepare sauce.

Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Drizzle sauce over cooked fish and serve.

Yield: 4 servings

Per Serving; 165.6 Calories, 5.1 g Fat, 50 mg Cholesterol, 405mg Sodium, 5.9g Carbs, 0g Fiber, 25.2 g Protein WWPP 4

Recipe adapted from The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight & Eating Great by Pam Anderson

I hope everyone had a joy filled holiday weekend. We had our little family gathering on Thanksgiving Day and the food was fabulous – even if I do say so myself! In the afternoon just as we were all thinking about taking a nap, Katy gathered us together to play a fun word game called Bananagrams. Have you heard of this game?

It’s something like Scrabble but each individual works off their own tiles and words so there isn’t any waiting around for your turn. We really liked that it played faster than Scrabble. Katy found this game at Target and I know we will play it again as everyone enjoyed it. This would make a great stocking stuffer for anyone who loves word games.

I don’t have a lot of blogging time right now as I am trying to get a lot done between now and next week when I have foot surgery. I won’t be able to drive for weeks after surgery so I am trying to stock up as best as I can. December is hubby Tom’s busiest work month of the year so he wont have a lot of extra time for errands. David is going to come stay with me as soon as his finals are over and Katy will be around too as soon as the high school she teaches at breaks for Christmas. Yesterday I made another pot of soup Beef Barley this time, to divide up and freeze for easy meals in the weeks to come. Its all coming together. :)

Leave A Comment If You Wish :)

Do you like to play games?

Good luck getting everything done! But you know, if you don’t, let that family that you wait on hand and foot most of the time help you for a change.

That soy sesame drizzle sounds fantastic. I bet it would be good on chicken or beef too!

No worries about help, the family are all on board to help. Friends have already signed up to come sit with me and/or run errands and do things that need to be done. Life is good!

Tami, glad you had a nice holiday!!! I am not much of a game player but was when I was young…. maybe time to bring it back!

I was thinking about you the other day with your foot surgery. Wishing you the best & glad you will have some help from the kids!!!!

My sis is visiting starting this weekend & I am taking a social media break! If you post & I don’t comment, that is why.. I hope I don’t miss a post about how it all went!!!!

I will be checking mail but just not really having the time to do much responding & all that.

HUGE HUGS!!! Good luck!

Jody enjoy your time with your sister. It will be so much fun to have girl time. Lots of folks will be helping me – just hard for me to be on the side that needs help!

I love to play games, especially word games! I’m not very competitive, though, which can irritate any teammates. :)

I’m like you Cammy, not competitive and so it’s best that I play games where I am on my own and don’t have a partner who just has to win!

4. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

Love this fish recipe; Totally making it soon! Die hard Words with Friends addict. I’ll have to look for that game. I didn’t realize the foot surgery was coming up so soon. Best of luck Tami!

Well then Renee I think you would love this game! It’s only around $10 too so the price is great. Yep, foot surgery is bright and early next Wednesday. I will be out of surgery before many people are even up for the day!

5. Laura says:

I wish you well during your surgery and after, as you recuperate. It sounds as though you’re well-organized so things will run smoothly while you recuperate; I appreciate organized as I tend to procrastinate. Maybe I’ve just found a New Year’s resolution! ;-)

Thank you for all you’ve given through this blog.

Laura

Thank you Laura. I don’t feel very organized these days but whatever gets done, gets done and the rest will have to wait. Sounds like a great New Years Resolution! :)

That fish looks delicious and I’m always trying to find easy fish recipes just for myself for lunch. Bill really doesn’t care for it much, so I’m just better off to eat at lunch time.

I love to play games and grew up doing that almost nightly. It’s one thing I should’ve checked out more closely before I said, “I do” because Bill nor his family had ever played a game together in his lifetime and 35 years later, I still can’t get him interested. I really miss it. (Just kidding about the checking it more closely part although it did come as a shock the first time I suggested it and he looked at me like I was nuts!)

Sharon this recipe would be easy enough to cut in half so you can enjoy for lunch. LOL at your story about the look on Bill’s face when you asked him if he wanted to play a game. Growing up with my three brothers we did play some board games together and I also played some cards and games with my friends. Mostly Monopoly games that could drag on for days!

I’m not out to be the winner – just don’t have that competitive gene I guess so I’m not always eager to play games but there are a few I enjoy.

We played banana grams too – love it! Sadly, the only fish I don’t find too “fishy” is Chilean sea bass – and wouldn’t you know its the most expensive fish at my store for $21 a pound!!

Yours looks delicious though!

Holy Cow that is some pricey fish Biz!

8. Miz says:

ooh and I DO have some GF soy sauce here, too!!

That will work just fine Miz! :)

9. janine says:

sure hope the captcha code works this time! I wanted to check in and send you best wishes and quick healing on your upcoming surgery. Bet you can’t believe the time has gone by so quickly–or maybe you can! The dressing looks like it’ll be tasty–and I like that it’s so easy.

Sorry if the captcha is difficult to use but it sure is cutting down on the spam comments! Thanks for the well wishes Janine I appreciate the kind thoughts. I will post a couple more times before surgery and I have no idea what I will feel like doing post surgery. I’ll just have to wait and see how things go. To me it doesn’t feel like the time went by quickly at all. Its a been a tough time with chronic pain and not being able to do everything I want and need to do. I’ll be happier when I am about 6 weeks post surgery and can drive again! Being trapped at home isn’t going to be easy for me.

10. Michele R says:

Tami — Glad you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Best wishes on your upcoming surgery! I hope you (or someone in your family) can let us know you made it through all right!

Thank you for the well wishes for my surgery Michele. Oh and what a good idea to have someone post that I’m okay post surgery. I think maybe the easiest way to do that will be on the Nutmeg Notebook Facebook page – I might even be able to do that myself if the pain meds don’t mess with me too much. :) Hubby Tom isn’t familiar with posting on the blog but he can post a message on Facebook if I can’t do it.

I appreciate the care and concern! It means a lot to me. :)

11. Elaine says:

I made this for dinner tonight, and it was delicious! Thanks so much for posting. Good luck on your foot surgery, and keep us readers posted on your recovery.

Hi Elaine and thanks for letting me know you liked the fish recipe. I think post surgery I will try to do an update on my Nutmeg Notebook Facebook page – that might be easier than trying to create a post here. Of course it all depends on how I feel so at the very least I can have Hubby Tom post on Facebook that all is well.:) Thank you for caring. :) It really does mean a lot to me.

Happy Holidays

12. Rita says:

Best of luck with your upcoming foot surgery. Thank you for always providing great informative recipes. Enjoy the holidays.

Thank you for the sweet comments and the well wishes for my surgery Rita. I’m so glad you enjoy the recipes.
      I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment.

Happy Holidays to you! :)