Food Finds & Kitchen Gadgets

Have you noticed that there seems to be a never ending supply of new foods to try? There is no reason to be bored with the foods we eat if we are willing to try something new.

If you are pressed for time or intimidated by purchasing a large squash this convenient food item might be just what you need. All the prep work has been done for you. Recently I have seen these both at Sam’s club and Costco. Butternut squash is one of my favorite fall foods. It can be oven roasted or microwaved and is quite tasty with just a little salt and pepper. Of course you can guild the lily by adding a little honey, agave or maple syrup and a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg. Use it in soup like this Italian Sausage Bean Soup with Kale or one of our favorites Roasted Butternut Squash with Bacon Pasta.

This adds a nice little bit of coconut flavor so use it when baking muffins or to saute veggies for any dish that uses coconut milk.

I found it at Whole Foods.

Normally roasted garlic and onion would not be associated with jam. This works if you think of savory food. Use a thin spread of jam on a water cracker and add a thin slice of cheese or spread a little light cream cheese first and then a smear of jam. Perfect as a spread on your favorite turkey sandwich or add a little twist to a grilled cheese sandwich.

Stonewall products can be found at specialty food stores, Amazon or check out their website Stonewall Kitchens.

These were found at my Whole Foods market. They are a tasty and low calorie salad dressing option to have on hand when you don’t want to make your own.

They are not my favorite choice for a store bought salad dressing. I prefer some of the Annie’s salad dressings but hey,  you don’t know if you don’t try. Since we all have different taste buds you might like them more than I did!

A box of these can usually be found in my pantry. Don’t judge! :)  Sometimes I just can’t stomach traditional breakfast items and when that happens I will go for one of these. Not health food by any means but it does hold me until lunch time. They taste pretty good too.

These do contain sugar alcohols which can cause some lower GI issues if I have too much of them. The 10g doesn’t seem to cause me any problems. They can be purchased at many stores and I buy mine at Sam’s Club.

Last weekend hubby Tom had to take a day trip out of town to see a client so I tagged along. He spied this cute little shop so after conducting his business he insisted on taking me here.

From the outside it looked like a tiny little hole in the wall store. Boy was I surprised when we got inside and there were several aisles like this!

Lucky for hubby Tom my kitchen is pretty well stocked so this is all I came away with. My current apple slicer is cracked and its’something I use daily so this is my back up. The little 4 tablespoon measure cup is my second one like this and I use it all the time to make smaller amounts of salad dressing. The kitchen twine came in handy with a stuffed pork tenderloin recipe I recently made. Rubber spatulas need replaced now and then and I loved this red one.

We made one more stop on the way home at Macy’s and bought this Food Saver that was on sale and then they were having an additional 20% off kitchen appliances that day, plus I paid with a gift card I was given so this baby was free! I like free. :) Costco has the bags and roll of plastic as one of their coupon specials so I will be stocking up. This should help solve our problem with too many leftovers. We can freeze food ahead and not worry about freezer burn.

All of these items were purchased by me. Nothing was given to me nor was I asked to write any reviews on these products.

For the past few years hubby Tom and I have dodged Halloween by going out to dinner and taking in a movie. We did just that last night and were surrounded by other Empty Nester’s in the movie theatre. We saw Cloud Atlas and although well done if you haven’t read the books which it is based on (we hadn’t) it can be a little confusing. When it was over I heard a lady behind us say “Well that was weird”!

Like most of America I can’t stop thinking about all those folks in the East who’s lives have been turned upside down by the recent events of Sandy. Where has everyone gone who lost their home to fire or water damge? How do you even restart your life when you have lost everything and have no home to return to?

It seems somewhat wrong to be posting about food finds and food saver machines when so many people are in the middle of a tradgedy. It has weighed heavily on my mind – to post or not to post. Maybe the distraction even for a brief minute or two is a good thing. It doesn’t mean I don’t care or am not aware of what is going on. Everytime I see the news reports I am filled with sadness for everyone who has been touched by this.

Locally they are saying we can help by donating to the Red Cross or Salavation Army and we can donate blood. It doesn’t seem like much but it is something.

Blessings,

Feel free to leave a comment.

What’s on your heart today?

1 ping

Listen, life goes on and well it should! Do not feel guilty about this post, not one bit. (And I can say that because I’m an East Coaster.)

Since our communities were affected by Hurricane Sandy, we ran the gamut of mayors trying to ‘reschedule’ Halloween to those who said it was up to the parents around here. The Mystic Aquarium managed to put on a full-on FREE event and I think that kept a lot of the trick or treaters off the streets.

Personally we have skipped Halloween for years. It’s actually the anniversary of our first date so we tend to go out to eat and reminisce a bit. Last night we decided to go take a Muay Thai class together and then we picked up a pizza. Fun!

Thanks for that Helen. Good to know you feel its okay to be posting about things like “food” in times like this. I heard that some communities were thinking of rescheduling Halloween. What a neat thing the Mystic Aquarium did for the community. Around here a lot of church groups hold fall festivals instead of having the kids go door to door. I like the organized group events better!

I like that you celebrate your first date anniversary! Exercise and pizza together – sounds great to me. :)

2. Kim Holt says:

Thanks for the new finds! You are like my very own personal shopper. Love it! Making a Costco/Sams club run next week and I have some new things on my list like Butternut squash:)

The store are filled with Christmas items already! I had fun looking at it all. :)

3. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

Thank you for the reminder to give blood! I was on a 1 year restriction because I went to Costa Rica, but will check to see if I can donate again.

Giving blood is a simple thing that a lot of people can do. Hubby has a blood type that is scarce and the blood bank is always calling to see if he can donate.

4. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

I’d be like a kid in the candy store with that gadget place! wowza!

My brother, who lives in Jersey, just outside NYC, weathered the storm well. He and his family were lucky. He just posted something about gasoline being in a shortage today on FB and how all the stations are being guarded by police. Crazy storm. I still can’t believe it came as far as me, here in NE Ohio. I’ll be glad to finally see some sunshine and do a total assessment of our property when it finally shines tomorrow or Saturday. An entire week of rain is too much! But I also know there are others who have it so much worse. I pray for everyone.

I have bought that pre cut butternut squash on many occasions. It’s great. I LOVE Annie’s dressings. The best selection of them I have found yet is at Earthfare.

Take care Tami!

I have to say I went up and down each aisle at that store and checked things out! Those kind of stores can keep me busy for quite some time.

What great news that your brother and his family weathered the storm well. I had heard that gas was in short supply but didn’t know that police were at the gas stations.

Sounds like you are going to have a lot of yard clean up once the rain subsides. That combined with strong winds can really make a mess. Its a wonderful opportunity to burn calories – raking leaves and such is hard work! :) I don’t think I will be doing much of that this fall with my foot issues. I was grateful today that it didn’t rain so our lawn service could come and clean up the fallen leaves. We usually have to do it again later in the week before they come back. Its much more difficult once the leaves get wet – they are so heavy then.

I so agree about posting normal stuff during such hard times for people…. I think we all realize that we want to help… guess what my Gratitude Monday will be about////

Love your find posts! I try not to look to much at new foods. I got my basics down so new stuff has to be fit in & old stuff out. ;-) You get the need to know all the stats for our food program as we age.. ;) UGH!!! I do change up but I try to be careful about it… PLUS I am so not a cook like you! ;)

Hope you have a great weekend!

I know you don’t like to cook that much but I sure do appreciate that you still follow my blog Jody! :) We do get to know the stats of our food as we get older and figure out just how much we can eat without gaining weight.

Hope you have a great weekend too. It looks like we are in store for some lovely weather. :)

I love little kitchen stores like that! Surprising, since I don’t really enjoy cooking all that much. :)

Maybe you just like gadgets Cammy!

7. Lori says:

John and I were remarking tonight how our life got back to normal when just a few hours south in our state is in such disrepair right now. There is always something going on somewhere in the world that is devastating. Life goes on for the rest of the world. Otherwise we would get mired in depression. People know you care.

I covet that coconut oil spray. I saw it at our local health food store and it was $8 for a can!! I’m too cheap for that considering how much I use nonstick spray.

Lori you are right that there is always something going on somewhere in the world at any given time. I don’t remember how much I paid for the coconut oil spray but I will look the next time I go. Have a wonderful weekend!

8. Veronica says:

I know what you mean about posting about normal stuff when there’s a national tragedy. I am raising money for a friend today on my blog with a bake sale and other blogs are raising money for the disaster! But I had it scheduled two weeks ago so I’m trying not to feel guilty for my small potatoes fundraiser. BTW, I’m jealous that you can get pre-peeled and sliced butternut squash! I had peeling and slicing it! lol. One thing I love is those Fiber One chocolate granola bars–whenever I need something sweet, those really do the trick for so few calories, plus some extra fiber! Real food is better, but they totally beat real candy bars! :)

Oh you shouldn’t feel guilty about doing something kind for someone who needs it! We are trying to avoid extra carbs around here so I must stay away from the bake sale! :) Glad to know the Fiber One Chocolate granola bars work as sweet fix for you. I tend to go for the chocolate brownie Z bar made by the Cliff Bar folks. Yum!

I really like exploring little stores like the one you found! They are becoming to rare today.

One of the things that makes Sandy so difficult is at least when we have serious storms here, it’s warm!

These little mom and pop stores are few and far between these days!

It is hard to talk about our day to day lives when the storm didn’t effect us, but I do feel for everyone – I don’t even know where I would begin!

I love, love Annie’s Goddess salad dressing, but that brand hardly ever goes on sale. :(

I use my food saver all the time -you’ll love it! I did end up buying the rolls too, so that I could make my bag any size I wanted – I initially got individual bags and felt like I was wasting a lot.

Happy Monday!

I haven’t trid Annie’s Goddess salad dressing – will have to look for that one Biz. We have used the foodsaver for a few things already and it’s pretty easy to use. I bought the rolls of plastic at Costco and it also came with some of the bags. Glad to know you like yours!

1. Oven Roasted Butternut Squash with Apples & Pecans » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[...] you go to Sam’s Club or Costco and get that already peeled and cubed butternut squash? If not, go there now and get it. Then hurry up back here for the recipe for this amazing side dish [...]