Caramel Pecan Pie

Be forewarned that there isn’t anything healthy about this pie recipe! My son in law has a major sweet tooth so for Thanksgiving I made this pie with him in mind. Since we also had a delicious healthy pumpkin pie to sample I cut our pie servings in half. Half a serving of this is just right – it’s so rich and over the top delicious. It has to be the best pecan pie I have ever eaten and I usually don’t like pecan pie so that is saying a lot.

My crust seemed to lose it’s shape as it baked but it didn’t affect how decadent this pie was.

If you have any pecan pie fans in your family make this version for them. They will thank you for every sweet delicious bite. Make them promise to eat healthy at the very next meal!

Caramel Pecan Pie

•  1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
  •  36 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
  •  1/4 cup butter
  •  1/4 cup milk
  •  1/2 cup brown sugar
  •  3 eggs
  •  1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  •  1/4 teaspoon salt
  •  1 1/2 cup pecan halves

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C.) In a saucepan over low heat, combine caramels, butter and milk. Cook, stirring frequently, until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt. Gradually mix in the melted caramel mixture. Stir in pecans. Pour filling into unbaked pie crust.

3. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown. Allow to cool until filling is firm.

Yield: 16 small slices

Nutritional Information Per Serving

Calories 264.67,Total Fat 15.29g, Saturated Fat 4.09g, Cholesterol 44.4mg, Sodium 146.22mg, Potassium 127.98mg, Carbohydrates 30.36g,Fiber 1.24g, Sugar 22.54g, Protein 3.84g  WWPP 7

Recipe adapted from All Recipes.com

Well like the rest of the world I sat and watched the news reports of the school shootings in horror. I can’t wrap my head around how someone can commit such evil acts.

I subscribe to Brene Brown’s newsletter and she included the following in yesterdays email;

“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” To this day, especially in times of “disaster,” I remember my mother’s words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.”   Mr. Rogers

Blessings,

I’m glad you found my blog and hope you feel comfortable enough to leave a comment.

I LOVE that last quote Tami! Thank you for sharing!!!!!!

I tried pecans for the first time while not too long ago. I thought I hated them but I LOVE THEM!!!!!!! :)

How are ya doing? How is the foot???

You are so welcome! Somehow I found comfort in that quote and I hope to remember it in the future. I’m taking the foot recovery a day at a time. I have had a mix of good and not as good days this past week. Pain, lack of sleep, moving at a snails pace and no energy.Having said that, healing is taking place – of course its just slower than I would like it to be. Enough whining – this too shall pass and one day it will all be but a memory. I’m looking forward to that day. :)

2. Debby G says:

Thank you for sharing the quote from Mr. Rodgers. It is something we all need to remember.

The pie looks wonderful! Two of my favorite things together in one pie, can’t wait to try it!

Debby I’m glad you liked that quote – it gives us something different to focus on and think about. Let me know if you try the pie! Happy Baking.

How uncanny! I spent the better part of the afternoon listening to Brene Brown’s interview on the Good Life! Her blog post yesterday was amazingly comforting. Today when I’ve watched the news, I’ve looked for the helpers.

Your pie looks scrumptious!

Looking for the helpers really does help = such a simple suggestion and I’m so glad I read about it. We are both fans of Brene Brown Cammy. I am often inspired to look at things with fresh eyes after reading her blog or listening to her in an interview. I’ve been turning off the news as I can’t handle the sadness of watching the interviews of the people who lost loved ones in the school shooting. My heart and mind can only take so much pain. I shall keep looking for the helpers.

4. The Candid RD (Gina) says:

My husband has a major sweet tooth too, which makes it quite difficult to live in the same household!! :) This pie sounds fantastic. Such a pretty photo too!! I can’t believe it but I’ve never made a pie from scratch. I’m a bad foodie.

I am a total cheat and buy the pre made pie crusts these days. Not that I can’t make my own from scratch but it’s so easy to buy them! Thankfully my husband doesn’t have to much of a sweet tooth. However when our kids were living at home it was a different story as they both love sweets! Perhaps its time to try making a pie!

I have a weakness for Caramel, so I stay as far away from it as possible :-)

Mr. Rodgers was that rare special person that enhanced so many people’s lives! A few years ago, he was on TV asking for sweater donations, and I must have brought twenty to the drop-off. I mean he was Mr. Rodgers!!

That is a very cool story Dr J! I love Mr Rogers. :)

lol, I went with the spelling on the quote for his name.

6. Amanda @flecksofgreen says:

I’m not usually a fan of pecan pie, but the thought of caramel in it–sounds amazing!

The caramels make it magical!

7. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

Its good to indulge now and again. I posted an indulgent recipe today myself! :) Hope you are recovering nicely! :)

yep, my pecan pie I make for my husband calls for a cup of karo syrup! But he only gets it once a year, so it’s worth it.

I saw that Mr. Rogers quote on facebook – love it!