Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Weight Watchers PP 6

The overnight breakfast casseroles are a great time saver since you assemble everything the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning all you have to do is pop it in the oven. While it bakes, cut up some fresh fruit, make coffee and you have instant breakfast! Just to be different I assembled this in the morning, let it sit in the refrigerator all day and then baked it for an evening meal.

Sausage Cheese Egg Casserole

We like having breakfast foods for our evening meal. One time when my children were young the neighbor boy was over playing. I was getting ready to fix dinner and we were having pancakes that night and he had never heard of having breakfast for the evening meal. He was so excited about it and he went home to tell his dad what we were having. He came back a few days later and let us know that his dad fixed him pancakes for dinner! Growing up in the Midwest we had breakfast foods like pancakes and eggs for the evening meal quite often.

This photo was taken in the evening so it’s really dark! I miss natural light for food photos. All of the flavor in this recipe comes from the sausage and the cheese. Be sure and use a spicy sausage – mine was too mild. Extra Sharp Cheddar will add tons of flavor. Since the sausage was mild I added a teaspoon of thyme and 1/4 teaspoon sage and two diced green onions. Although very filling it was still pretty mild flavor wise for me but hubby Tom really liked it. He had the leftovers a couple more times so I guess he found it to be tasty! This recipe got rave reviews on the Cooking Light web site. For myself I prefer the Sausage Cheese Egg Muffins which has been one of the most popular recipes on my blog.

Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Casserole

• 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • 12 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
  • 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
  • 2 cups egg substitute
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 3 large eggs
  • 16 (1-ounce) slices white bread
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
  • Cooking spray

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring and breaking sausage to crumble. Remove from heat; cool.

2. Combine milk and next 6 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.

3. Trim crusts from bread. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Add bread cubes, sausage, and cheddar cheese to milk mixture, stirring to combine. Pour bread mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking or 3-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray, spreading egg mixture evenly in baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

4. Preheat oven to 350°.

5. Remove casserole from refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes. Sprinkle casserole evenly with paprika. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes.

My Notes: I added 1 teaspoon dried Thyme & 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage, two sliced green onions and used a soft sourdough bread and left the crust on. Would use a spicier sausage next time.

Yield: 12 Servings

Amount per serving; Calories: 245, Fat: 9.2g, Saturated fat: 3.7g, Monounsaturated fat: 2g,Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g, Protein: 18.5g, Carbohydrate: 20.4g, Fiber: 0.8g, Cholesterol: 84mg, Iron: 2.5mg, Sodium: 609mg, Calcium: 185mg  WWPP 6

Recipe Adapted From cooking Light April 2008

Here we are at the end of another year. I have not thought about personal goals for the new year and I don’t usually make new years resolutions. I am a constant work in progress! Hubby Tom and I do set financial goals and we have a goal of returning to daily walking and weekend hiking as soon as I am able. We can’t set a time frame on when I can resume those activities so we have to take it as it comes.

Right now I am just taking life a day at a time as my foot heals. Trying to move more and resume a few of my normal daily tasks as my foot allows. As time goes on I am able to be on it more, there is a little less swelling, less pain, the incisions are healing and I am overall feeling better.

Daughter Katy took me for a joy ride the other day. It was so much fun to get out and see the world. The sun was shining so I got a dose of Vitamin D and it truly lifted my spirits. Hubby Tom took me to Trader Joes. We went early in the morning right after they opened so it wasn’t crowded and I didn’t have to worry about anyone bumping into me or stepping on my foot! Who knew grocery shopping would seem like so much fun after being stuck at home for three weeks!

Thank you to everyone who reads this blog! And to those who feel comfortable enough to leave me such nice supportive comments I feel blessed to have your friendship. When I started this blog I could not have imagined all of the friendships that I would develop through it. Never would I have thought that so many people would be interested in what I am cooking or what I have to say. I remember how scared I was too put myself out here on such a big platform – so exposed to the world. It was one of those leaps of faith, a time to push beyond my comfort zone and take a risk. I’m so glad I did! You the reader make it all worth while – your comments and feedback are my reward. :)

With heartfelt gratitude I thank you.

Wishing you all a healthy Happy New Year.

I’m glad you are here and hope you feel comfortable enough to leave a comment.

Do you make new years resolutions or set goals for the new year?

Do you like to eat breakfast foods for your evening meal?

1 ping

1. Jane says:

Happy New Years, Tami! I’m glad your foot is getting better and better. I love breakfast for dinner – it is a favorite! The casserole looks so good – I love filling meals like that! I hope you have a great week!

The casseroles are an easy way to feed a crowd! Wishing you a new year filled with bliss!

2. Denise says:

Happy New Year to you. Thanks for being such an inspiration to me. Hubby and I are talking about walking when he gets home from work, but we live on top of a very steep hill and my heart is on a difribulator. I know I can do it I just have to figure out my lmits and get started. Any suggestions? lol. Have a magical New Year and keep those wonderful recipes and stories coming. Denise

Thank you for reading the blog Denise! Sounds like you do have a challenge with walking. Of course you should check with your doctor before starting any exercise regimen and get his or hers advise on how you should approach exercise. you need to know what your limitations are. If you get the okay to walk -Is it possible to drive to a more level street for walking? Years ago I use to meet a girlfriend at the mall in the mornings as it was open early before the stores opened to allow walkers to get exercise. A local hospital helps sponsor the mall walkers and sometimes they set up to do BP checks and health screenings. You could check and see if there is anything like this where you live. Of course you could walk at a local mall in the evening after your husband gets off work. It is a safe climate controlled environment perfect for walking.

Do you live in a warm climate where you can walk outside all year round? I had a neighbor who use to just walk around the perimeter of her back yard daily for exercise, round and round she would go! Any and all movement is better than none! Start small and please check with your doctor for advice on how to get started and what type of precautions you need to take.

Wishing you all the best in e new year.

3. Lori says:

I know what you mean about the evening food photos (and morning ones, too!). I miss my natural light.

I love, love breakfast foods for dinner – and lunch! I will eat an omelet at any time of day. I have even had oatmeal for dinner before :D

Have a great New Year!

I have been known to eat a bowl of oatmeal for dinner as well! Happy New Year Lori!

Keep getting better Tami – one day at a time & don’t rush it so you get there & no backtracking! I know you are doing that. Patience wears thin but you can do it! :)

No resolutions for me. I head into the new year with things I plan to do & some goals but it life changes then I move with it… I can’t get caught up & all the stress & getting down on myself for not doing something like when I was younger! :)

So glad we are virtual friends!!!

Happy New Year!!!

I’m glad we are friends too Jody! You are a great support with your positive attitude. :) Wishing you all the best in the new year.

5. MizFit says:

most shocking is I have all this here in the new domicile already too!!!!

It feels good to have the kitchen stocked up with good eats! Happy New Year Miz. :)

When I was growing up, money was tight and we often had breakfast-for-dinner as a budget stretcher. (My sister and I didn’t know that then; we just thought it was tasty!) These days, scrambled eggs and toast are my go-to when I want a hot meal without a lot of cooking. :)

It is a good budget stretcher!

7. MaryFran says:

Good luck on the recovery! Take it slow, you’ll be walking again soon!

The recipe looks yummy! I also love breakfast casseroles that sit over night, it makes the morning so easy!

Happy New Year MaryFran!

9. Reen says:

Just put this all together to have for our New Year’s Day breakfast! So excited. Anxious to try it! Of course, changed it a tiny bit to use what I had and added some veg. Used hot italian turkey sausage, 2 eggs instead of 3 and bumped up the eggbeaters (always have enough eggbeaters around here), 9.5 ounces of bread instead of 12 (because, again, that’s what I had), and added sauteed onion, yellow pepper, and fresh spinach. The cheese is colby.

I can’t wait to cook this in the morning. AND bonus, threw all my ingredients into the recipe builder, and it comes up as 5 points per serving. Will let you know how it comes out.

I LOVE the recipes you post.

Reen your version sounds amazing! Please come back and let me know how it turned out. I want to try your changes. So glad you enjoy the recipes. Happy New Year!

1. Reen says:

Oh, my gosh, it was soooooo delicious! Worked out perfectly. I did have to cook it about 10 minutes longer to make sure the center was set, but my casserole dish may have been a bit larger.

The best part was that I was able to freeze the leftovers in single-serving packages! Now I have breakfast already prepared for those mornings when I come home from an early run. I have already added the recipe to my favorite recipes binder, and will be making it again another weekend soon.

There are so many different ways to change it up too. I’m thinking instead of the cheddar cheese, maybe a low-fat feta or some other strong flavored cheese would do it will, and, of course, other veggies!

Hi Reen! Thank you for the follow up and letting me know how well it turned out! I will have to give you version a try. Great idea to freeze it in portion controlled packages for easy breakfast entrees. I love to cook ahead. I agree that its a great basic recipe with many options depending on what you have on hand or happen to like. Glad you enjoyed cooking success! Happy Cooking. :)

10. kim says:

You are simply the BEST!!!! Thanks for the recipe…..can’t wait to try.

What do you typically make for New Years Day? We are not a sourkraut and pork kind of family. My husband likes cabbage rolls but the kids don’t care much for it. Searching your site for something to make for New Years Day!

Happy New Year!

Hi Kim! I don’t have anything that I always make for New Years Day but for a couple of years I have made Quick Chicken Cordon Bleu http://nutmegnotebook.com/2010/01/quick-chicken-cordon-bleu-2/ it’s so delicious! I was thinking about making it tomorrow. Served with fresh green beans and mashed potatoes or a sweet potato and a fresh salad. It’s a wonderful meal. I have doubled and even tripled the recipe to serve a crowd!

The rosemary garlic pork tenderloin http://nutmegnotebook.com/2010/05/pork-tenderloin-studded-with-rosemary-and-garlic/ is a hit with everyone I serve it to.

This is my favorite pork roast recipe http://nutmegnotebook.com/2010/03/apricot-glazed-pork-roast/ and if you make this roast and have leftovers you have to make this sandwich http://nutmegnotebook.com/2010/01/pork-caramelized-onion-gruyere-sandwiches/

If you don’t want to go to a lot of work then just make a big pot of soup or chili and some cornbread.

I know whatever you make it will be wonderful! Happy New Year to you and your family. :)

1. 2013 Healthy Meal Plan: Week 31 « Half Size Me says: