Triple Berry Smoothie & Favorite Health Related Apps & Websites

If you are like me you don’t usually think of having smoothies this time of year. It’s always been kind of a warm weather item for me. Since I’m trying to listen to what my body needs and I have been craving fruit and vegetables this smoothie is the perfect solution. Not only does it taste good but it’s bursting with nutrients and fiber. That does a body good! When you fill up on nutrient dense foods you are less likely to indulge in junk food.

Triple Berry Smoothie

My Blendtec blender pulverizes the berries and kale and makes this smoothie – well extra smooth! You don’t need a Blendtec blender to make a smoothie, just know that if using a conventional blender the kale might not get as smooth but it will still taste delicious and that’s what counts.  If you don’t have a frozen berry blend you can use any kind of frozen berries – blueberries, raspberries, blackberries – if you don’t have protein powder that’s okay too – use a 1/4 cup of low-fat cottage cheese or fat free Greek yogurt to get a little more protein. Smoothies are so adaptable to what you have on hand. Use spinach or baby salad greens instead of kale. If you haven’t added kale to your diet yet please give it a try. Read this post all about kale and you will see what a super food it is! Raw for a salad, cooked or tossed into a smoothie – I love it!

I will sometimes split a smoothie with hubby Tom as a midmorning snack. M-m-m-m so yummy. If you have children or a spouse who is a picky eater, smoothies are the perfect vessel to get some hearty, healthy greens in them without complaints.

Be creative and make yourself a healthy, filling smoothie for breakfast or as part of a healthy lunch.

Triple Berry Smoothie

Place all ingredients into blender and process until smooth.

Yield: 1 serving

Per Serving; 278.5 Calories, 3.5g Fat, 10mg Chol, 99.6mg Sodium, 686.5mg Potassium, 55.8g Carbs, 16.5g Fiber, 22.9g Sugar, 12.8g Protein

For those of you following Weight Watchers would you count the fruit in this recipe or not? I’m not posting WWPP for this recipe as I know some people count the fruit in smoothies and others don’t. I shall leave the counting up to you. :)

Recipe inspired by a Dr. Oz Breakfast Smoothie Drink recipe. His called for almond butter instead of protein powder and flax seeds not flax meal.

Todays technology is amazing! There are many helpful gadgets, gizmos, kitchen tools, computer programs, websites, smart phone and tablet apps to help us stay healthy.

My favorite health related app also happens to have a web site available and it’s free! My Fitness Pal is amazing. You can sign up for free on your computer or get the free app for your iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows phone or Blackberry.

Diary

No this is not a snapshot of my daily calorie allotment – this is from the My Fitness Pal website. For free you can track your daily food intake using their database and if your food product isn’t listed you can add it. Want to figure out the nutritional information for a recipe – you can do that too. You set your daily calorie limit and it tracks as you log your food, letting you know how many calories you have left. Track your exercise, and how many calories you burned, your weight and water intake too.

At first it’s a bit time consuming but its a smart program and it tracks the foods you most often log so those foods come up when you are tracking food the next time, the search is pretty easy too. One warning – since the food data base is added to by users sometimes people have entered the nutritional data wrong. Be sure to look at the nutritional information for each food item before selecting it the first time. If you eat the same breakfast or lunch you have the option to kind of copy and paste it over and over again. The more you use My Fitness Pal the easier it gets. I use this all the time on my iPad and find it to be very easy to use and quite accurate! There is something about seeing what you are eating in print and watching the calories add up through out the day that is helpful in staying on track. Love this!

iPhone Screenshot 1

Fooducate allows you to scan the barcode of food products or look them up by category in their directory. Each food shows the Fooducate grade from A-D, Weight Watchers Points – called Food Points, nutritional information, pros and cons of product, healthier alternatives, if it’s a GMO product and much more. It can be helpful when you are shopping and not sure about a new product. You can also use it to make a shopping list but I have another app for that. :) It’s free for iPhone and Android.There is also a Fooducate app for diabetics and allery/gluten foods. If you don’t have a smart phone the Fooducate website allows you to look up products too!

iPhone Screenshot 1

Grocery IQ is an app for your grocery store list! Helen from Doing a 180 first told me about it. You can scan barcodes to add products to your lists, search their database to add products, you can makes separate lists for specific stores and share your list with other family members. Make a shopping list for Target, Costco, CVS Pharmacy or your favorite grocery store. Check off items as you put them in your cart. So easy. It’s free for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android or on your PC. Never leave your shopping list at home again! Thank you Helen!

Many restaurants have free apps that have help you calculate the nutritional value of what you order like Red Robin, Chipotle & Subway CA, just to mention a few. It’s quite easy to order smartly when you can look up the nutritional information ahead of time.

I hope your year has started off healthy!

Thanks for taking the time to stop by – won’t you please leave a comment and let me know you were here.

Share your favorite healthy websites, apps or gadgets that help you stay on track with  your food plan.

1 ping

1. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

My blender stinks at pulverizing ice, but I’m too cheap to get a blendtec or vitamixer! I’ll just be envious of everyone else who has one. :) I will have to test to see if it does frozen berries ok…

I use to use Sparkpeople religiously, but have stopped using it since I’ve been sticking to whole foods. Three years of tracking my food was enough for me!

Just wanted to let you know that I do read, but don’t leave comments very often because I’m a tablet owner now and it’s just a pain to leave comments from there. I happen to be on my laptop today and am utilizing the full keyboard. :)

Have a good weekend, Tami!

Good to know you are still reading Jenn. I know what you mean about it not being as easy to comment using a tablet. I’m responding to your comment on my iPad! The more I use it the faster I’m getting at two finger typing!

Before having the Blendtec I made smoothies in my regular blender by adding the frozen fruit and greens in smaller quantities allowing them to process before adding more. It worked pretty well. Then I would add crushed ice instead of ice cubes if the recipe called for ice.

Great to hear from you!

2. Lori says:

I use LiveStrong to log my food and activity. I used to use Daily Mile as well, but I have cut down on some of my techie sites to get off the net LOL!

I like smoothies for lunch, but not so much in winter when it is cold.

When it’s cold and I have a smoothie I sometimes have to chase it with a cup of hot tea!

I have never heard of Daily Mile – will have to check that out. Thanks for telling me about it.

I have way less smoothies with age & rather eat my food BUT they are convenient. My blender is gone & no money for a good one that will not break with the hard blend recipes so.. I am waiting till I can afford something good that will last & blend everything I want it to blend.. like a Vitamix! :) Great recipe though! Like you, harder in colder months.

LOVE the apps! My Fitness Pal got rated #1! Checking those last couple out! :)

Jody I wonder if one of the blender companies might send you a blender to review? It might be worth an email to them to ask! I find the smoothies to be so filling and satisfying which is interesting because like you I usually prefer to chew my food!

I’m trying to go more “low tech,” but the apps sound very convenient, and I think anything that makes you be a bit more mindful about what you are doing is usually helpful when you do it consistently.

I make very similar smoothies but haven’t for a while. I have been craving veggies and fruits, too, so I may make some smoothies soon, too. I’ll definitely pick up some kale at the farmers’ market tomorrow.

Yeah for the Farmers Mkt Andrea! I rather enjoy the high tech apps these days but I don’t do much with all e social media stuff like Twitter and Instagram.

5. The Candid RD says:

I agree, smoothies are a craving I have then it’s warm outside, but I sitll LOVE them in the winter! Your recipe sounds great. I like kale in my smoothies, but I always freeze it first because it’s not as bitter that way.

I love MFP and I just downloaded the Fooducate app so I can’t wait to start loving that one too!

Thank you for the tip about freezing kale to remove the bitterness. I didn’t know that!

6. Leslie says:

Hi Tami – Thanks for the smoothie recipe – I have everything on hand to make one right now, which I may do! Also the apps – you know I’m a My Fitness Pal gal, though I’ve been MIA from there for awhile. Getting back today – we’ve had some rough family events that I’ll be posting about this week, so my tracking has fallen off entirely. Tomorrow I go back to work, and hopefully to a more normal routine!

BTW, Happy New Year!!

Hi Leslie! It’s so good to hear from you but I’m sorry you have had some family issues. I will be so happy to have you back to blogging as I have learned so much from your posts! I hope 2013 is a good year for you!

How funny that I am so radical. We have a smoothie EVERY single morning before walking and it never crossed my mind to think of it as a summer thing. My recipe is also a bit simpler than yours……1 cup kiefer, 1 cup frozen fruit, 1T flax seen oil, 1T sugar free jam, lots of spinach, 1 scoop protein powder. Bill and I split this. I use my Kitchen Aid blender that I got for a wedding gift 35 1/2 years ago. Yes, I have a “newer” blender but, by george, the old one works better! It is my smoothie only blender!! LOL!

Sharon I think those folks who live in much colder climates than we do can’t imagine drinking a freezing cold smoothie and then having to go outside and face freezing temperatures.

Your smoothie recipe sounds great. I make a variety of different smoothies depending on what ingredients I have on hand. Variety is the spice of life they say. :)

I use a small purse notebook. Very low-tech, but since I don’t buy many processed foods, it’s enough. I do advocate sparkpeople for food logging, especially to folks who are just starting out. I still use it from time to time, just to make sure I’m still on the right track.

A little notebook works well – I use to use one as well! Nothing wrong with low tech!

9. Miz says:

LOVE all the apps.
    the husband is a HUGE APPER!!
    :0)

10. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

I’m so going to check out these apps and sites. Thanks Tami. Have a great Monday

Happy Monday to you too Roz!

I have a gift certificate to a mall – I may have to upgrade my blender because it’s loud, and probably 20 years old? I am loving smoothies – even in winter too!

I would be lost with out a blender! How nice to have a gift card to use – go for it Biz!

12. Deborah Edwards says:

Have you ever used frozen kale that Trader Joe’s sells in your smoothies? I am wondering if that would work.

Hi Deborah,

I haven’t used frozen kale in my smoothies but others have commented here that they use frozen kale and it works well – someone told me that that frozen kale is less bitter than fresh so that is an added bonus! I am sure it would work just fine! Let me know how it turns out.

1. Gettin Fit With fitbit one / My Product Review » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[...] There are different fitbit gadgets to choose from. fitbit one retails for $99.99 but there is a fitbit zip for $49.95. I chose the fitbit one because it is smaller, tracks sleep as well as activity and it works with food tracking on My Fitness Pal -  a free on line food tracking program which I wrote about here. [...]