Pork Tenderloin with Red Wine Pan Sauce

Lately I have been on a pork tenderloin kick! It’s lean, easy to prep and quick to cook. Talk about versatile – you can do so many different things with pork tenderloin. Slice the pork into medallions and it cooks on the stove top in just minutes. Set it aside covered to keep it warm while you make a very simple pan sauce with red wine, garlic, kalamata olives, oregano and a smidgen of Dijon mustard.

Pork Tenderloin with Red Wine Pan Sauce

This recipe cooks up quickly so be sure to prep all of the sauce ingredients before you start cooking the pork.

Pork Tenderloin with Red Wine Sauce

Kalamata olives are my favorite and they go perfectly in this tangy sauce. A little cornstarch dissolved in water is all it takes to slightly thicken the sauce yet keep it low fat and healthy. Before starting the pork recipe, veggies were prepped and popped in the oven to roast. Sweet potatoes were started in the microwave and it all came together for a fast filling weeknight meal.

Pork Tenderloin with Red Wine Pan Sauce

• 1 large pork tenderloin about 1 pound, trimmed and patted dry, cut into 12 slices
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pan Sauce

• 1/3 cup dry red wine
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup pitted, sliced kalamata olives
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 teaspoon cold water

Mix wine, broth, mustard, olives, garlic and oregano in a liquid measuring cup. In a separate small container mix together cornstarch and cold water. Set aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Place pork in pan; cook 2 minutes on each side.

Set aside cooked pork, covered to keep it warm.  Add wine mixture to the hot skillet and reduce by half. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened. Pour over pork medallions and serve.

Yield: 4 servings

Serving Size: 3 medallions topped with pan sauce

Estimated Nutritional Information

Per Serving: Calories 194, Fat 7.6g, Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 346.3mg, Carbs 3.5g, Protein 24.3g, Fiber o.2g WWPP 5

Recipe Adapted From The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight & Eating Great.

I don’t know how the days pass so quickly but since I have my mobility back time is flying by! My list of chores, errands and things to do seems to be never ending. There just doesn’t seem to be time to sit down and write posts or read blogs. That is a good thing because it means I am moving and burning calories!

Olmstead Trail

Last Saturday morning hubby Tom and I both woke up around 4:30 (who does that on a Saturday morning?) and we decided to get up and get ready to go on one of our favorite hiking trails.We usually stop and pick up Subway sandwiches but it didn’t open up early enough for us early birds, so we scrounged around in the kitchen and made do with what we had. PBJ on Eziekel bread for me!. It was the perfect weather for trail hiking. Cool to start out and then it warmed up. We had to share the trail with lots of horseback riders (which means you dodge horse poo along the way) and a sprinkling of other hikers here and there. We found a lovely spot for resting and eating lunch on a little hillside with a view. Somehow food out on the trail always tastes so much better.

American River

Daughter Katy has waited 6 months for me to be able to walk with her on the American River Trail near her abode and it finally happened this week. :) This is a view of the American River – you can see for miles and miles. We had so much fun walking and talking – good girl time.

Walking trail

This morning I was excited to go with hubby Tom on the trail near our house for an early morning walk! The last time I was on this trail was about 6 months ago! Although I am very happy to have a treadmill at home to walk on, nothing compares to walking outside in the fresh air. Post foot surgery, life is getting back to my normal and I must say it feels amazing.

Walking, hiking and working out with weights are keeping me busy these days. I seem to be losing inches but not a lot of movement on the scale. Most likely because I am getting back muscle that was lost from lack of exercise. I am happy to be losing inches!

Add Your Thoughts…

What type of exercise are you doing?

1. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

What a beautiful part of the world you live in Tami!!!! So happy that you are doing so well in your recovery!

Thank you Roz we feel blessed to live near such beautiful scenery! There is nothing that compares to feeling good! :)
      Hope you have an awesome weekend. :)

2. Lori says:

Losing inches is always great! I have been getting in a lot of exercise doing the rehab on the bathroom. That is really hard work! I am so glad that I lift weights or it would be even harder to do that stuff. It doesn’t help that I am getting older, either…

I will take losing inches as I feel like that means I am losing fat not lean muscle! Oh working on your bathroom redo has to burn a ton of calories as well as working a variety of muscles. It’s a good thing you are so strong Lori! Hope you get done with the bathroom soon! Bike season is just around the corner. :)

3. janine says:

I can totally hear the joy in your “voice” when you talk about getting back to your normal and seeing these gorgeous views again. It’s a wonderful thing–and makes you count your blessings yet again.
    Your food, as always, looks beautiful–a feast for your eyes as well as your health.

Thank you Janine – it feels like recovery has been a long time coming since I was in pain for such a long time before surgery. I am enjoying every step I can take and I guess I feel like I am making up for lost time. I hope to enjoy the summer being as active as I can be. Hubby Tom said I am unstoppable! I hope all is well with you and your family. Have a fantastic weekend.

Great recipe Tami!

OH MY – beautiful hikes & hey, if that is what is keeping you busy – more power to you!!! :) I love that you are moving again! As you know, the scale is a finicky bit*h, ;), so take those inches lost! :)

LOL at your scale remark Jody! I need to stay off the scale but it does beckon me! :) I am so happy to be walking and hiking again – it’s feels like I am getting my old life back. I am also getting my body back into shape and starting to feel like “me” again. It’s a good thing and I am grateful. Thanks so much for the support through out this difficult time.:)

I weigh too – just part of my life & personally, as we age, I think for me at least, needs to be part of the aging process to keep me in check along with my clothes…

So happy you are getting back to YOU!

5. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

I love pork tenderloin, but always seem to have a brain fart about what to do with it! this looks like another perfect pork tenderloin recipe. Kalamata are my favorite kind of olive too! so much flavor in such a little package.

I am insanely jealous of the weather you have that allows you to get out and enjoy the land. I am so so so tired of winter, winter, winter and snow, snow, snow. Looks like a lovely day!

Renee if you like kalamata olives you have to make this recipe! We are so lucky to have such great weather and in February no less! We really are fortunate to live where we do – we try not to take it for granted. I know my folks who live in Nebraska just got dumped on with more snow – it makes it feel like winter will never end.

Hang in there as Spring is just around the corner! :)

That pork tenderloin looks delicious. Will try it. I’d love to be able to walk that trail by the river. And I so totally agree that being outside is just better. I haven’t been on my treadmill in ages. I’d just rather be outside or on the daily mall walk with Bill.

Hi Sharon! We have another outdoor hike planned for this weekend. It’s a new trail for us and I am so excited about it. Having outdoor adventures to look forward to is helping me to keep working out on the treadmill during the week. I have to increase my stamina for trail hiking – it seems to fade so easily when you don’t get to exercise for a long period of time. Happy adventures to you Sharon!

I’ve been making a pork tenderloin every other week or so all winter… just a nice change from a pork chop.

I’m doing lots of dreadmill running – too much snow and ice at first and now that the ice is gone, the roads are still pretty narrow. Too dangerous for me since I run so early in the morning. I need to get back into some sort of organized strength training but I have felt so sapped by winter I can’t seem to get my thoughts to meet action.

I do love me some pork chops too but usually cooked on the outdoor BBQ grill! LOL at your “dreadmill” comment! I watch tv shows on my iPad while on the treadmill and it helps with how boring it is! With out that I don’t think I could stay on the treadmill for very long. Spring is on it’s way Helen – hang in there!

8. Linda Sharp says:

I totally remember when I could start walking again after my foot surgeries – I hear it in your voice. To this day I am grateful for every step I take!

Love the pictures – gorgeous scenery!! I use our treadmill each evening after dnner and dishes. Outside preferable but days just fly by – every day.

Hi Linda! I think if you have ever lost your mobility it gives you a whole new appreciation for being able to move when and how you want to! Every step is indeed a blessing! It’s great that you are using your treadmill – what a difference it makes to be active! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. :)