Ginny Bakes Organic Gluen-Free Bake Mixes & Ready To Eat Cookies

It seems like in the past year Gluten -Free products have been showing up everywhere from restaurant menus to our grocery store shelves. A while back I was sent some ginny bakes organic gluten – free products to try and review.  As far as I know no one in my family needs to eat gluten free so who better to share them with but folks who can choose to eat anything they want and get their honest opinion.

Ginny Bakes Cookies

One box of ready made cookies were opened first. I shared with hubby Tom and the verdict? Delicious! I must tell you I have tasted a number of different ready made gluten free cookies and these are the best tasting ones yet!  Great with a hot cup of coffee or hot tea. Even though I don’t need to eat gluten free I have a friend who follows a gluten free diet so I have sampled a variety of her treats. I have also dabbled in making my own gluten free desserts and treats when we dine together.

Ginny Bakes Cookies

Ginny bakes cookies

Since my daughter and her husband were coming over I whipped up the ginny bakes organic gluten-free chocolate chip love cookie mix so they could help me as taste testers. Every time they come to visit they want something sweet to eat and since I don’t bake very often anymore I almost never have anything to offer them. They were delighted until I told them these cookies were gluten -free. They looked a little skeptical…

Ginny bakes cookies

…until they took one bite and we all knew – these are amazing cookies! They taste like a wonderful home made cookie that your mom made for you! You would never know they are made from organic brown rice flour or a prepackaged mix. Two thumbs up from my taste testers! In fact the newlyweds were more than happy to take the rest of the cookies home with them. You will notice that the cookies stacked on the right are puffy and smaller. The directions say to flatten slightly after you scoop the dough onto the prepared pan. Well apparently I didn’t flatten them enough so I flattened the second batch (on the left) a little more and they were thinner. I got 22 cookies instead of 21 that package stated! Each serving is one cookie at 100 calories. Not bad at all.

Ginny bakes cookies

If you ever need to have something for those following a gluten free diet I would highly recommend the ginny bakes pre made cookies or the cookie mixes. It takes all the guess work out of what products are safe to use and it eliminates you having to invest in a variety of specialty flours that are gluten free. They carry a lot more products than shown here. Check the Ginny Bakes website for a  Store Locator. I received these products for free but the opinions expressed here are my own and I was not paid for this review.

Jam Jar VasesNutmeg Notebook Jam Jar Vases

These jam jar vases are my new favorite decorating tip for Spring! I first spotted them in the floral department at Whole Foods. I already had several Kerr jam jars at home that came filled with locally made jams from our Farmer’s Market. Just put the ring on the jar less the center disk and fill with little flowers. About a week or so ago hubby Tom bought me a lovely huge bouquet of flowers. The larger flowers died off so I removed all the small filler flowers and cut them down to fit into the jam jars. Lovely! Great idea for teacher gifts or Mother’s Day! If you don’t have any of these jars at home look for them at Walmart, Target or thrift stores.

Recipe Organizing

Wow – you all had so many wonderful ideas for organizing and saving the recipes you find on line. Thank you so much for taking the time to share how you attack this challenge.  I have used many of the same ideas and of course now I have the blog where my favorite recipes are posted. I have been asked by readers for some ideas on how to organize and keep on line recipes and I can’t thank you enough for sharing your tried and true methods.

Here is a recap of your ideas:

Pinterest – super popular for organizing and saving recipes you want to try or ones you have tried. You can join for free.The bonus is that you set your own categories and organize as you see fit and you have a photo of what the finished product should look like.

Binders – with printed recipes stored in plastic sleeves. Super organized and each recipe is protected from spills.

Word Documents –  copy and paste from the internet source into a word document and organized into categories.

Yummy Soup – a program for you Mac users that allows you to store recipes.

Mastercook / Living Cookbook – software programs that can be purchased and allow you to copy and paste recipes into your own categories.

Bookmarking – the recipe site and storing them in categories on your computer. This soon gets super messy!

Evernote – a free app for smart phones, iPads, computers and almost every electronic device out there! This is totally new to me.

Footnotes

Yesterday I spent almost the entire day in the kitchen, trying a new chili recipe, baking cookies and puttering around. My kitchen has a hardwood floor so it is a hard surface with no give. By dinner time my post surgery foot was a swollen mess! I was wearing the Easy Spirit shoes with orthotics but I should have worn my new Vasque hiking boots or my Keen hiking shoes as they are my most comfortable footwear.

It’s so frustrating! This morning the swelling has gone down but not completely back to normal. I will need to take it easy today as we have plans to do a long hike tomorrow and I can’t do that with a swollen foot. There was a long list of chores and errands that I had planned for today but now that plan is out the window! I am not a happy camper but it is what it is.

Thank you to everyone who left me ideas on the previous post for comfort shoe websites and what brands of supportive shoes have worked for you. I will do a recap soon and share all the good information. It seems that I am not the only one with feet problems!

Catch the spirit of Spring by buying yourself a few fresh flowers to tuck into a vase. They will add a pop of color and make you smile!

Have a happy weekend!

Thanks for reading. Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.

A friend and blog reader recently asked me if I want people to leave comments. Yes I do – the best part of having a blog is making friends with you the reader and getting comments and questions.

Do you have any food allergies?

I do have to watch how many eggs I eat, if I eat them too often I get a rash. I also have to be careful about products with sugar alcohols, chickory root fiber and inulin. Our son has some lactose intolerance and our daughter is allergic to buckwheat which seems to be showing up in a lot of products lately. We have to read all labels carefully!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1. Racheal @ Running with Racheal says:

I know I am late to the party, but I have recently discovered ZipList and I love it. I have also used Evernote in the past! No food allergies here. However, my husband is “sometimes” allergic to nuts. 🙂

Hi Racheal – ZipList – yet another new thing for me! Thanks for the suggestion!

2. Eileen says:

Have you thought of getting a rubber mat for your kitchen. I too have hardwood floors and being diabetic I sometimes have pain in my feet. But I purchased two rubber mats for my kitchen, now I can wash dishes, or I have a baking center that I can stand at. my feet feel good. I purchased mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond. With my coupons I got them at a decent price.

Hi Elileen – Funny that you mention the rubber mats – I was just telling hubby Tom that I had seen those and was wondering if perhaps I should get a couple of them for my kitchen. One in front of the cook top and perhaps one at the island where I stand to do all my cooking prep. I will take a look at them the next time I am in Bed Bath & Beyond – love that store! Thank you for the suggestion! Have a fantastic weekend! 🙂

3. Beverly says:

Now I want a chocolate chip cookie. 🙂 Of course, the first thing I did was check to see the closest store to me and nothing within 100 mile radius. I shouldn’t be surprised…I live in the middle of nowhere. haha Looks like I can order them from her website….yum!

Regarding the allergies….I have given up a lot of dairy because it doesn’t sit well with me. Not sure if I am lactose intolerant or what, but this is something new that has happened to me within the last year.

Also, I can’t eat Fiber One bars — there is some additive in them that causes uh…gas and stomach pains. NO GOOD! I have a friend who absolutely loves them, but in my house, they are referred to as fart bars. haha Probably more information than you cared to know and probably not an allergy, but I love to tell people that story. 🙂

LOL at your Fiber One bar comments! 🙂 Those can cause me lower GI issues as well depending on what else I have eaten that day so I just avoid them! I think they contain inulin as fiber which can cause gas and bloating in some folks.

Have a good weekend!

4. Lori says:

I don’t have food allergies, but I tend to do better when I limit gluten as far as cravings go. I do a fair amount of gluten free and grain free eating periodically because it makes me feel good.

I remember as a teenager being so embarrassed when my mother and grandmother used mason jars for flowers. It seemed so “country” to my sophisticated 14-year old self. 🙂 Fast forward 40 years and now I’m using them for flower, for food storage, for pencil holders, and everything else I can think of. 🙂 Thanks to Pinterest, it’s very difficult to find them a thrift stores and garage sales these days.

6. Linda Sharp says:

GF pictures look delicious! I have been GF for the last 6-7 months. Also no dairy and no nightshades. I have some gluten intolerance but the main reason I am eating this way is because I was having some extreme, constant leg pains. After doing much research it continually came up that within the top ten foods that cause leg pain was wheat, dairy, tomatoes, potatoes and peppers (among others).

Since eating this way my legs are so much better. I have arthritis so of course the knees hurt at times. I have restless leg syndrome so my legs bother me at times. However I absolutely do not have any leg pain! When I do eat something with potatoes for example my legs give me much grief within hours.

So for me it’s worth not eating the glutens, dairy or nightshades. When I find gluten free foods many of them have potato starch in them – which of course I am avoiding. I have learned to be creative.

7. Amy says:

Our family doesn’t have any allergies, and we enjoy eating a wide variety of food. I suppose the only thing we have to be careful with is consuming sugar and too many carbs, since my husband is diabetic and has to know how much of both of those he eats In a day so he can properly take his insulin. That’s the only thing I worry about, actually, is all the sugar substitute we take in. We used to use a lot of sweet n low, but I’ve now switched to Splenda. I’ve read lots of articles about how it might be bad for you, but I’m not sure what I would go to if we stopped using it. Do you have any thoughts on sugar substitutes? Mainly we use them in drinks, like coffee and tea. If I bake I usually use just sugar.

Hi Amy! I understand the need for keeping track of the amount of sugar and carbs you are serving your husband so he can control his diabetes. This would be a good thing to talk about with your health care professional.I am sure his doctor would be able to give you some advice about how he feels regarding sugar substitutes and what is safe to use.

Here is a link to two videos from the Dr OZ show regarding sugar substitutes http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/are-sugar-substitutes-safe-pt-1, it starts out with a commercial and then goes into the segment and there is a part one and part two.

I use some of the NuNaturals Stevia products which can be ordered on line or found in some Health Food Stores. A few drops of NuNaturals Stevia drops in my coffee each morning and perhaps a few drops later in the day in some plain yogurt or a smoothie. I try not to eat a lot of sweets be it real sugar or Stevia sweetened. Here is a post where I wrote about NuNaturals http://nutmegnotebook.com/2013/02/pork-tenderloin-medallions-with-balsamic-reduction-nunatural-stevia-new-flavors/.

Its a personal choice whether or not to use sugar substitutes and there is a lot of information on the internet that supports both sides. I have stopped using artificial sweeteners myself, but every once in a while I spot some as an ingredient in a product that I have bought! After I discover it then that product is no longer on my approved foods list. I am just trying to eat healthier and so for me artificial sweeteners are out. If I bake a dessert I use sugar, agave, maple syrup, brown rice syrup or some other form of natural sugar.

I hope this helps but I think its such an important discussion to have with your doctor.

Just checking in, Tami!

I guess you don’t want to look into the Hoka shoes that Jody likes and I run in for the great cushioning that they offer.

Hi Dr J! I already have the fitness shoes for walking, hiking shoes and boots taken care of. What I am looking for now are some regular street style comfort shoes that are semi cute to wear with regular clothes – not athletic looking shoes. 🙂

The cookies sound good!

Sorry your foot got swollen again. Hope it was better by today and you got to go your hike!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Tami!

I like the thinker type cookies when I get mine so there would be no flattening them down. I like the look of the ones you did not flatten better! 🙂

Your poor foot!!! So glad it was better next day.. such a learning with your shoes & all – HUGS!

No food allergies here but sometimes wish so I would not eat so much of certain things! 😉

11. The Candid RD says:

I’ve been seeing a lot of great gluten free cookies on the market lately. Recently we got some in our store called WOW..or something like that, and they are so amazing!! I will have to keep my eyes peeled for these 🙂

12. Miz says:

I never do GF mixes or anything BUTBUTBUT these would be great to just have here…in case 🙂