Amazing Food Finds

These days even though most of my shopping happens in the produce department there are still products found in other aisles that I require to make recipes and round out the food plan. It seems like every time I go shopping I stumble across something new to try. Variety is the spice of life they say and that certainly is true when it comes to our food plans.

Multi Grain Bread

We don’t eat a lot of bread but once in a while we like a veggie sandwich with hummus or a piece of toast with peanut butter. This is a very tasty bread. Check out the Alpine Valley Bread store locator to see if it’s sold near you.

Multi Grain Braed

Be sure to store it in the refrigerator or the freezer as it will spoil quickly since it doesn’t contain any preservatives. This is a Costco find.

Kiwi

Another Costco item is a large tub of kiwi. Of course you can find a smaller amount of kiwi fruits at the grocery store. Since we go through so much produce it’s quite cost effective for us to buy in bulk.

Kiwi

I use to peel off the the fuzzy skin with a small pairing knife until my daughter Katy showed me an easier way by cutting it in half  and using a small spoon just loosen the fruit from the skin as you work the spoon all the way around. Brilliant! Kiwi are a good source of vitamin c and fiber. Add to your fruit salad, a tossed salad or enjoy it alone!

Brussles Sprouts

A large Costco/Sam’s Club size bag of Brussels sprouts are a staple item around here. We like them oven roasted, steamed or raw in our salads. Using a chef’s knife thinly slice the raw Brussels sprouts and toss them with salad greens. They add a nice crunch and delicious flavor. Trader Joe’s carries a smaller bag of these.

Whole Soy & CO

After trying several terrible tasting soy based yogurts (having given up dairy) I finally found one that tastes good! I have used this in place of cow’s milk yogurt in several recipes like Avocado Cream, and Tzatziki Sauce with great results. In fact I served the family Tzatziki sauce made with soy yogurt and I didn’t tell them until after that it was soy yogurt. They said they had no idea as it tasted just the same to them!

Whole Soy & Co

I did learn from Whole Foods that these large containers of yogurt won’t be available again until August! The company moved to a new facility and is behind in production. It’s sold at most health food stores but you might not find it on the shelves for a while. Sigh. For product updates check out the Whole Soy Yogurt site.

365 Corn Tortillas

I prefer corn tortillas over flour and recently tried these Whole Foods 365 organic corn tortillas. We love them!

365 Corn Tortillas

Corn, water and trace of lime- simple list of ingredients. Heat up in the microwave, toss on a hot griddle or even pop them in the toaster to make a quick crispy base for beans and toppings. They are delicious with the Taco Lentils recipe

Ezekiel Pocket

Look for these in the freezer section at Whole Foods or your health food store. These are a little smaller than most pita pocket breads but that also means the calories are less.

Ezekiel Pocket

They are perfect for stuffing with hummus and veggies or your favorite bean/veggie burger. Use them to make pita chips for dipping into hummus. Keep them in the freezer and thaw out as needed.

T-Fal Skillet

This was a Costco find that my daughter Katy told me about. A non stick pan with a lid mad by T-Fal. When the red circle changes to a dark red you know the pan is hot and ready to use. What a great pan. I also have the T-Fal griddle pan – found it at Walmart and it’s the best griddle pan I have ever had.

White Balsamic Vinegar

White Balsamic vinegar – have you seen this? I like it for salad dressings as it doesn’t turn the salad dark and dingy like the regular balsamic vinegar. The flavor seems to be a bit more mild than regular balsamic but still tasty. This is Trader Joe’s brand but I have seen other brands as well.

Disclosure; These food and product finds are things I purchased with my own money and as always the opinions expressed here are my own.

Did you have a good holiday weekend? We had a relaxing weekend at home. We did a little shopping one day. It’s always difficult to get hubby Tom to the store to clothes shop so he waits until he desperately needs new clothes. Since the weather here was quite cool over the weekend the mall was busy! We had good luck and scored some good finds for him.

We did manage to get in a short nature walk on Sunday before the rain started. We discovered some new trails nearby that we want to explore more. So many trails and so little time.

I’d love to hear from any of you who are moving more towards a plant based diet. How is your food plan going? What are you eating? What’s easy and what are your challenges? Is there anything I can help you with?

Hope you are having a good week.

Do you have any new food finds you care to share?

I’m glad you are here. Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1. Sue says:

Hi Tami,

I always enjoy your food find posts. I will be on the lookout for the items.

Last night for dinner, our two sides came from your recipe file. We had a spinach salad with your Liquid Gold Dressing….delicious.

The other side was the Honey Chipotle Baked Beans. Very nice flavor to them. I do have a question though…are you able to find canned baked beans without the added bacon and brown sugar?

Thanks,
    Sue

Hi Sue,

I can find Bush’s brand vegetarian beans at my local grocery stores and that’s is what I like to use for that recipe. That is my favorite baked beans recipe ever! You can buy great northern beans and then add all of your own sugar and seasonings to control the amount. Somewhere I have a recipe for baked beans that starts with those – I don’t know where it is right now but if I come across it I will pass it along.

So glad you are enjoying the recipes. It’s always great to hear from you.

Happy cooking!

Always love your food finds posts. We bought a skillet just like that not long ago and Bill swears it’s the handiest thing he’s ever used. It gets used in some way or the other for every meal we cook!

Loved seeing you mention Bush’s. They are an East TN based company with headquarters in Knoxville and original cannery a few miles up the road in a rural community where both my parents were raised. It was by far the largest employer in the county when they were in high school and EVERYBODY worked at Bush’s at some point in their life. Of course, working at the cannery taught most of them exactly what they DIDN’T want to do for the rest of their lives!! It was (and still is) hard, hard work. But Bush’s is a great company, so it makes me happy to know someone on the far west coast calls one of their products a “favorite!!”

I so enjoyed reading about the Bush’s company – thank your for sharing that information Sharon. I had to laugh at what you wrote, ” Of course, working at the cannery taught most of them exactly what they DIDN’T want to do for the rest of their lives!!”

Great minds think alike and Bill and love the same pan! I like it so much I think I will buy a second one so when I double up on recipes I have two of the same pans and can cook everything at the same time! Like Bill I seem to use it almost everyday.

My husband is the same way about clothes. It’s gotten to the point where I just pick stuff out, bring it home, have him try stuff on and then I return what he doesn’t like.

Me? I haven’t paid retail for clothes for 15 years – always a thrifter and garage saler!

I too prefer corn tortillas to flour – I may need to venture out of my comfort zone and make your lentil tacos!

I have tried the buy clothes on my own and bring them home for him to try but the sizes are so off these days that he really needs to try things on! Even two pairs of jeans the same style and size will sometimes be a different size around the waist!

The lentil tacos are a favorite around here – even my son in law who is a meat lover thinks they are good! It isn’t easy to win him over a vegetarian dish!

We eat a LOT of Brussels sprouts, mainly roasted with a little lemon juice and capers added when they are done.

I am getting ready for another cleanse (this time with hubby). I’m excited to tweak the way we eat a bit more and to also juice more. In January, it was just too expensive to juice.

While I eat mainly plants, I still eat some dairy daily, which can be easily replaced.

We did some shopping too over the weekend and got some much needed clothes for hubby! 🙂

Yum I never thought to add capers to Brussels sprouts but what a great idea Andrea.

Wishing you well with your upcoming cleanse. At least you get lots of fruits and veggies for cheap this time of year!

6. Lori says:

I used to eat a lot more brussel sprouts, but they make me so bloated that I stopped eating them for a while.

.We found a new food find at TJs, which were dark chocolate coconut mango bites. Very yummy, although I have to ration them 😀

Oh my goodness those dark chocolate coconut mango bites sound amazing but they might be a dangerous treat to have around! You might try the Brussels sprouts raw – sliced or chopped in a salad – I think they are less likely to bloat that way. 🙂

7. Veronica says:

I haven’t tried the Ezekiel pitas but they’re bread is my fave of all time! I keep it in the freezer and take a piece or two out at a time, lasts us quite a while! I’ve never heard of white balsamic–gotta try it! I went through a kiwi phase but then got a bunch of weird dried up ones so now I’m in a nectarine phase-so good!

8. MIZ says:

no new foods right now BUT BUT IM SOO RANSACKING Trader Joes today 🙂

9. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

I love reading about your food finds. Some we can get here, some not, but its fun to see what other folks are buying and trying. Have a wonderful day Tami!

10. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

I’ve bought that huge container of kiwi and ate the whole thing myself! I haven’t seen this at my costco, but I will be on the look out next time I go. I love reading about your food finds! thanks for sharing!!!

OH THE BREAD!!! I used to get that 2 pack at Costco until they brought in the 21 grain flavor of the same brand & now I get that – I think I like it better & a bit better stats but both are great – a staple here. I have been buying their bread since it hit Costco quite a while back! 🙂

Love all your finds & TJs is always full of them! 🙂

So glad you had a great one Tami!

12. Carrie says:

My Traders had a dip for tasting last week!
    1 container feta cheese (any flavor)
    1 container of their bruschetta
    3/4 package of their pre-cooked lentils
    That’s it! It is so good, even my non adventurous friends liked it!
    I used organic corn chips and rice crackers for dipping.

Carrie- thank you for sharing about that dip – so easy! I like easy. 🙂

13. Kristi Rimkus says:

What a terrific idea to share your food finds. I’m totally intrigued by your pan. I’ll have to check it out when I go to Costco.

I always enjoy seeing what is in someone else’s shopping cart and love it when bloggers share their shopping finds. Glad you enjoyed it as well. Happy shopping!

14. Warren Wisner says:

I purchase the large package of Kiwi’s at Costco also. One disappears in my morning smoothie (whole, no pealing) along with Kale, b-sprouts, a banana and a little almond milk. Another fine from Costco is the Sweet kale/ Chou Frise vegetable salad kit. I toss the dressing and only sometimes eat the cranberries, but it sure is convenient.

I never thought to toss the un peeled kiwi into my smoothie! I also bought that Sweet Kale Frise vegetable salad kit and tossed the dressing – just adding the salad fixins to my baby greens! Great minds think alike. 🙂