Thai Slaw

I never knew raw cabbage could taste this awesome! It only takes about 15 minutes of prep work and you will be rewarded with the most amazing crunchy, delicious, flavorful but yet healthy slaw. The Thai flavored sauce marries prepared salsa and natural peanut butter with just a touch of maple syrup, a tiny bit of tamari sauce, a few red pepper flakes, fresh ginger, crunchy red bell peppers and my favorite herb – fresh cilantro. Sprinkle on a few peanuts just before serving and watch everyone’s face light up with delight. It’s a party in a bowl!

Thai Slaw Engine 2The other day by the time I got home from the store with the ingredients to make this salad hubby Tom was already eating his lunch. I went ahead and made the slaw so he had a little sampling and immediately fell in love with it. Can you fall in love with a salad? Well anyway you get the point.

Thai Slaw Engine 2

When dinner time rolled around I called him out of his home office and served him up a vegetable curry dish over brown rice and all he could say is “Where is that cabbage salad that I have been thinking about all afternoon? I thought I was going to get some more of that.” Yep, this is the kind of salad that you will be thinking about all afternoon. It’s another winning recipe from Rip Esselstyn’s My Beef With Meat book – it’s a must have book and my latest obsession – well this book and my new food processor! If  preparing this for a party or to take to a picnic or potluck I would carry the dressing separate from the slaw and toss it together right before serving.

Thai Slaw

• 1 1/4 cups Salsa – I used Kirkland Organic medium
  • 1 tablespoon real maple syrup – Whole Foods 365
  • 1/4 cup natural peanut butter – Trader Joe’s
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 teaspoon low -sodium tamari sauce – could sub low sodium soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons peeled minced fresh ginger
  • 2-3 shakes crushed red pepper flakes – my bottle doesn’t shake so I used 1/4 teaspoon
  • 1/2 head green cabbage, finely shredded – use a large head of cabbage as the sauce is plentiful
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded cut into thin strips
  • 1 bunch cilantro, chopped – this would be a big bunch of cilantro not a little plastic herb container from Trader Joe’s
  • 1/4 cup raw peanuts – couldn’t find raw so I went with roasted unsalted

In a saucepan over medium heat combine salsa, peanut butter, maple syrup, water, tamari or soy sauce, ginger and pepper flakes, stir just until it’s well combined. Let the sauce cool down.

In a very large bowl pour the sauce over the shredded cabbage, cilantro and red bell pepper strips, stir to combine. Just before serving sprinkle the nuts over the top.

Notes: I used Napa cabbage because the heads of cabbage at the store didn’t look very good and I think the Napa cabbage is a little too watery and didn’t hold up as well as a good ole head of green cabbage would. I made the slaw at lunch time and by dinner time it was getting pretty watery but the flavor was still amazing. Next time I will use a regular head of cabbage. Trust me there will be a next time as the flavor was addictive and delicious.

Yield: 4 huge servings

Per Serving: 129.4 Calories, 3.5 g Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 641.9 mg Sodium, 115.8 mg Potassium, 19.5 g Carbs, 5.2 g Fiber, 4.3 g Protein

Recipe Source: My Beef With Meat Engine 2 recipes by Rip Esselstyn who adapted it from Vegan’s Daily Companion

I saw a cute little post a while back by Jenna on Eat Live Run where she starts off with something like if you and I were having coffee I would tell you… and then she fills in the blank with random thoughts and ideas. I liked it so much I decided to copy it here but since I gave up coffee mine will start with…

Patio June 2013

If you and I were sitting on my patio sipping a glass of peach ice tea and enjoying this view I would tell you…

I am an emotional eater –  eat when I am happy, eat when I am sad, eat when I am nervous, eat when I’m not hungry, recreational eating with friends – you get the picture. Eating outside of true hunger has contributed to my yo-yo dieting over the years. It becomes a game of feast and famine. Eating a plant based diet does not cure emotional or recreational eating. It does however make it less likely to happen since I am feeding my body the healthy, nutrient rich, fiber rich and yes protein rich food it desires, I am full and satisfied. No longer do I suffer from the toxic hunger and cravings I experienced in the past when I would go on a low calorie diet to lose weight. Bravo to a nutrient rich plant based diet!

If you and I were on my patio chatting, I would tell you that I do make the distinction that, not only are we eating a plant based diet but it is a nutrient rich diet as well. Our shopping cart is not full of overly processed vegetarian foods – which there are plenty of to choose from and those choices would create a low nutrient food plan. I encourage you to take a good look at the produce department the next time you are shopping and observe the variety of foods available. I challenge you to choose something new to try!

If you and I were on my patio chatting, I would tell you that it doesn’t cost more to eat a nutrient rich plant based diet. I use to spend a lot and I mean a lot of money on good quality meat, fish and chicken. Beans, greens and grains are pretty cheap in comparison! If you choose to shop the bulk bins, cook your own beans, lentils,grains and choose your veggies wisely you can do this on a budget. If you buy already prepared beans, grains, lentils and cleaned and chopped ready to eat vegetables the cost goes up.

If you and I were on my patio chatting, I would tell you that my foot (post surgery) is finally getting better. Sure,it still swells daily and my big toe aches most of the time, the second toe just feels weird, but the pain although not gone, is much less! My toes go numb when we bike ride and my foot gets really sore and swollen at the end of our hikes but I am able to push through those things and persevere. I have to wear shoes all the time and opt for my motion control shoes in the house (This isn’t easy for someone who has never worn shoes in the house before) and a pair of comfort Dansko shoes outside of home. I am just grateful to be walking, biking and hiking again. I never take my mobility for granted, it’s a gift to be able to exercise.

If you and I were on my patio chatting, I would tell you, I’m a morning person – it’s my favorite time of day. I especially love walking outside early in the morning (just like my mom) while most of the world is still asleep. When hubby Tom can’t walk with me I might pop my ear buds in and listen to Pandora on my iPhone while I walk and sometimes I catch myself singing out loud! When I realize where I am and what I’m doing I quickly look around to see if anyone is on the nature trail near me listening to me sing off key. So far there have been no witnesses!

If you and I were on my patio chatting, I would tell you that I am grateful that you take the time to read my blog. Even if you aren’t interested in my new plant based diet or my recipes, many of you still stop by to read my ramblings and I appreciate that.

If you and I were on my patio chatting, I would tell you that with summer now here and most of us spending more time outdoors (me included) I know that there is less time for surfing the web. That is how it should be – so whatever your summer plans are, I hope you pack in as much fun and adventure as you can! In between hiking, biking and other outdoor activities I will be posting recipes and chatting about our summer adventures. So be sure to pop in here from time to time to let me know how your summer fun is going.

Let summer begin!

Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling. Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.

If you and I were on my patio chatting, what would you tell me?

2 pings

1. Kim | Making 40 Fantastic says:

So glad to connect to your blog. Such great recipes. My husband LOVES Thai food so this is going to be made at my house this weekend…. and at just 3 WW Pts+ it’s PERFECT! PS ~ I LOVE Jenna’s idea of the “If you and I were having coffee” posts. Yours is great! I’m a morning person and an emotional eater too. :) Looking forward to being a regular reader.

Hi Kim! Thank you for stopping by my little corner of the internet. I hope you and your husband enjoy this slaw as much as we did. Sounds like we have some of the same personality traits. I do think there are lots of emotional eaters around just not everyone wants to admit it. Hope you come back often and I always enjoy reading everyone’s comments. Happy Cooking!

The salad sounds great. I pinned it to make after our cleanse.

I like your focus on a nutrient rich diet. That’s my goal as well, and I think Dr. Fuhrman makes very good points in his book. We eat more than 10% animal products, but my big focus is a variety of veggies and fruits.

If I were on your beautiful patio, I would tell you that I absolutely love the new focus of your blog, and that I have always enjoyed your posts. I love how you describe your recipes and then tell us a bit about your life at the moment. I can also relate to being an emotional eater, and I agree that eating a nutrient rich diet helps. If you get plenty of nutrients, crazy cravings are less likely to happen. Also, it’s a bit harder to overeat on carrots than cookies. :)

Glad your foot is improving. I admire all the hiking, biking, and walking you do despite the discomfort!

Hi Andrea, focusing on more fruits and veggies is perfect! It takes up space that might otherwise be filled with something less nutritious. Crazy cravings have haunted me off and on over the years and it’s so nice that they had subsided. I had to laugh at what you wrote, “it’s a bit harder to overeat on carrots than cookies.” so true! How is your cleanse going? Is hubby still on board? I will have to pop over to your blog and see how things are going.

3. Veronica says:

My mouth is watering over that thai slaw-pinning! If we were on your patio sipping peach tea I’d probably be mostly listening….I do that a lot in conversations. But I probably would also tell you that I found a wonderful remedy for a stomach bug (I haven’t got morning sickness but was hit with a stomach flu that was running through my family) and urge you to try it next time you are sick. It really does work! http://www.anediblemosaic.com/?p=12706&cpage=1#

Veronica I checked out that blog you linked to and it’s a great find! Thank you for sharing. I will keep that remedy in mind if I ever get a stomach flu. Again congratulations to you and your hubby on your pregnancy!

I would tell you that you have a pretty patio! :)

I’m a morning person too, but lately I’ve been sleeping in, sometimes until 7:00! LOL

You must need the extra sleep Cammy. I don’t think the rest of the world considers 7:00 am as sleeping in but I rarely sleep that late myself!

If you and I were on your patio (which I’d love to think someday we actually WILL be), we would talk about all those things you mentioned. I would thank you for your blog and all the things I’ve learned from it about cooking. We would talk about our backgrounds and just get to know each other better. Then we would put on our walking shoes and you’d show me your favorite walking trails! P.S. I do hope you’d at least make me a cup of coffee – otherwise, I’d have to bring my own. LOL!

6. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

LOVE this post Tami! If I was sitting on your patio, I’m sure we’d have BOAT LOADS of things to tell each other. And I’d admire your patio! And we could compare scars on our feet from foot surgery! :) Have a wonderful Friday Tami!!

Roz we would compare surgery scars for sure! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

I have everything to make that, except I have purple cabbage – do you think that would work? The salsa threw me, but I see how it all works together!

Glad you foot is feeling better too. And I never was a morning person, but now I love it. I cherish my hour and a half before my husband wakes up to do all the stuff I want to do before work. Damn day job! :D

Have a wonderful weekend!

I’m not a huge fan of purple cabbage but it would most likely work but I’m not sure how it would end up looking – it might not look too appetizing! That quiet morning time is a great way to start your day. I still think you need to be a paid chef!

I would tell you that I am way behind on my reading blogs AND that I want your patio! :)

I am so glad you are happy with this plant based food program & that it is working for you & hubby – that is cool!!! Hubby & I eat totally different! :)

I also hope that one day your foot will be well enough to go barefoot in the house!!! :)

9. Allie says:

I made this just the other day and it is delicious! I upped the cabbage by a bit (I used red cabbage, too) and added poached chicken! I was eating it for days, but that was fine by me!!

Here’s my version with a link back to your blog, of course: http://pumpedupchick.com/welcome/fit-in-the-kitchen-thai-chopped-chicken-salad

Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you for coming back and letting me know how much you enjoyed this recipe Allie! Sounds like you made a ton – well I like cooking ahead like that. :)

10. Phillys says:

This was so good, and I don’t even really like coleslaw or raw cabbage! I used a whole head of cabbage because it was on the small side, and I subbed our homegrown tomatoes for the red pepper. It started to shrink as soon as I added the dressing, so I think it is probably good to dress it about 5 minutes before serving to give the dressing a little time to flavor the cabbage but not enough time to shrink too much. I used lightly salted dry roasted peanuts.

Phillys I am so delighted that you enjoyed this salad. I like your addition of homegrown tomatoes – can’t go wrong with that! You are right this salad does “shrink” when you dress you it but it’s oh so good! Happy Cooking. :)

11. Marge Lenski says:

Hi Tami
    Your patio is so peaceful looking! If we were sitting there I would thank you for sharing more plant-based recipes. I have crohns disease and discovered a little over a year ago the almost unbelievable health benefits of omitting meat from my diet. If you have never heard of Dr. Michael Greger, you must check out his NutrionFacts.org website. I stumbled on this interesting website about a year ago and it has changed my outlook on what I believe is healthy food. I have tried many of your recipes in the past and I know that I can always count on them being good…thanks again:) Margie

Hi Marge,

Thank you for leaving a comment and letting me know you enjoy the blog and the recipes. I have nto heard of Dr Michael Greger but I will check out that web site. Thank you so much sharing the information! :)

12. Carole says:

Hey there! I’ve been reading your web site for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from
    Kingwood Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the great
    work!

1. Vegan Enchilada Casserole » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[...] « Thai Slaw [...]

2. My Beef With Meat Engine 2- Plant Strong Recipe Reviews » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[…] Slaw page 237, was also a hit at our house. You can see the recipe here. Cabbage, ginger, soy sauce or tamari, salsa, peanut butter, bell pepper, cilantro and peanuts. […]