African Quinoa Peanut Stew

Fall is in the air and it’s time to break out the slow cooker/crock pot and make some tasty soups and stews. Why not break away from the old tried and true recipes and make a new recipe to spice things up a bit? This recipe for African Quinoa Peanut Stew is over the top delicious and probably one of the easiest recipes I have made in a long time! My parents shared it with us and they loved it as much as we did. Like most soups and stews it is even better the second day.

African Quinoa Peanut Stew

When tossing the ingredients together in the slow cooker I decided to add some uncooked quinoa to it. Our favorite vegan restaurant adds quinoa to many of their soups and I love the texture it adds as well as the extra protein. It also makes the soup thick and we like it that way. This dish is flavorful but not too spicy, the light coconut milk and peanut butter mellow it out, yet you can detect the ginger, garlic and curry flavors. The sweet potato adds just a touch of sweetness and the red lentils practically melt into the broth. We garnished it with chopped nuts and fresh cilantro but I was too busy eating to get a shot of the garnished dish! That’s how good this is – you’ll forget about everything else and get lost in this bowl of goodness. I doubled the recipe and I must say this is the perfect recipe for serving company since you can assemble it earlier in the day and let it simmer in the slow cooker. Guess what’s on my menu again this week?

African Quinoa Peanut Stew

• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 sweet potato, cubed (about 1 c. total)
  • 1 1/2 t. curry powder
  • 1/2-3/4 t. garam masala (depending on how spicy you like it)
  • 1 t. cumin
  • 1 T. minced ginger
  • 2 t. minced garlic
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1 14 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes, in juice
  • 1 can light coconut milk
  • 2 c. vegetable stock
  • 2 T. natural peanut butter
  • 1/2 c. red lentils, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained

Optional garnishes: cilantro, chopped peanuts, plain soy yogurt

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and turn to high for about an hour, then switch it to low for the next several hours.

Serves: 4

Notes: Go ahead and double the recipe so you’ll have plenty of leftovers as it just keeps getting better on day two and three. I don’t have the nutritional information calculated for this yet but it’s so good I wanted you to have the recipe right away.

Recipe adapted from Mama Pea’s Spicy African Stew. Recipe recommended to me by Wendy at Healthy Girls Kitchen.

My parents went home this week and that has left me feeling sad and lonely. (I’ve resorted to some retail therapy to get past it!) I got used to having my buddies here and had so much fun cooking for them and going for little daily adventures! They both loved all the vegan dishes I made and mom even had me order her the Engine 2 My Beef With Meat Cookbook so she can continue the healthy cooking when they get home. I also made a couple of chicken and fish meals for them to mix it up. Mom made her fabulous Runza’s for the family and although they do contain ground beef I will admit that I had to have one but only one. Delicious! Then it was right back to eating plant strong.

I tried out several new recipes while mom and dad were here as well as making them some of our plant strong favorites. Speaking of favorite recipes I recently read that most people have about 10 -12 recipes or meals that they continue to make over and over. When you switch to a healthier diet it upsets the apple cart and at first you wonder what on earth you are going to fix to eat. Remember that you have to give yourself time to discover what those new 10 -12 favorite meals will be. As the seasons change so does the menu and the list of favorites keeps changing and growing. We found what plant strong foods and recipes worked for us over the summer. I will have a nice list of recipes to draw from next year. Now with fall upon us new soup, stew and casserole recipes will be added to the menu.

Once again I have a back log of recipes to post about – there are so many amazing plant based foods to eat and enjoy. I love eating plant strong.

To your health!

Add your thoughts and comments – I love hearing from you.

The thermostat on my favorite slow cooker is malfunctioning – it boils everything even on the warm setting!

I need to purchase a new slow cooker and would love to know what kind you have and if you love it!

4 pings

1. Beverly says:

Hi Tami!
    My grandmother used to make homemade Runzas …oh my gosh…so good! Any time I am in Nebraska, I have to stop at a Runza and pick one up. (Most people think they are gross…haha).
    This is the slow cooker I have: http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPVL610-S-Programmable-Carry-Cooker/dp/B004P2NG0K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380826790&sr=8-2&keywords=slow+cooker
    I haven’t had it yet a year, but no problems so far. I had to replace my old one, only because the crock portion was cracking and I had heard horror stories about them exploding.
    And guess what?! Costco finally opened in Sioux Falls today!! I am beyond excited! I heard reports of people lining up outside to get in, so I think I’ll wait a few weeks until the newness wears off. I can’t wait to actually find and purchase the things you rave about on your blog! :D

It’s hard to beat home made Runzas Beverly! Thank you for the link to the slow cooker – I love that the lid locks down – great idea. Yippee your Costco is now open! I can’t wait to hear about all the new things you get to try. Happy Shopping. :)

So glad your parents enjoyed your new food! I agree, I do have a dozen or so go to recipes that I just love to pieces – glad you found your new favorites!

Here is the link to my black bean and barley chili – hope you like it! :D

Thanks for the link to your recipe Biz! :) I do love barley.

3. Sue says:

Thanks for the new slow cooker recipe; I’m always trying new SC recipes. My 20 year old slow cooker died last month so I’m also needing a replacement. Last week at Costco I purchased the newly released cookbook Slow Cooker Revolution from America’s Test Kitchen. They reviewed 8 slow cookers Their top choice is Crock Pot SCVT650-PS.

4. Veronica says:

Oh this sounds so very good. My favorite food to veganize is soups & chilis because it’s really easy – load it up with legumes and veggies (and quinoa!) and you’ve got a delicious and nutritious bowl of comfort. I’m putting this on next week’s menu plan.

I think we enjoy similar foods so I am pretty sure you’ll love it!

The stew sounds wonderful. And you are right when you change the way you eat it takes some time until you have new favorites.

I’m glad you had such a nice time with your parents and that they enjoyed your vegan meals.

6. veganmiam.com says:

Slow-cooked meals are perfect and great for leftovers. Wow, the stew has a lot of my favorite ingredients – curry powder, garam masala, coconut milk, roasted tomatoes, peanut butter and quinoa. I’ve never used slow cooker or crock pot – but if I do use one or plan to get one, I’ll let you know. I’m happy that you had a lovely time with your parents and sharing these beautiful vegan dishes with them! I hope to do the same with them when I come back in November – both of their birthdays are in November around Thanksgiving! :) Have a terrific evening!

You could easily make this on the stove top too!

7. Phillys says:

Fall is in the air, and this sounds fabulous! I know the recipe says to cook on low for several hours. About how many hours did you cook it on low? Thanks!

Hi Phillys 4 – 6 hours would be fine. The sweet potatoes, need to cook and the quinoa and lentils So I would just check those around 4 hours and see how done they are. Slow cookers vary so much in how hot they run which really affects the cooking time. Hope this helps. Happy cooking!

1. Phillys says:

Thank you for the prompt response. I am headed for the slow cooker right now! =D

2. Phillys says:

We have all seen those recipe reviews where a person talks about how good or bad the recipe is in spite of the fact that they did not follow the recipe at all and made a million substitutions. I take full credit for my disappointment with the results of this recipe because I did not carefully read the “Notes” section at the bottom where you said to just go ahead and double the recipe. The stew was so fabulous until I am a little upset that we only have two servings left! Thank you so much for another winner, Tami!

LOL at you being upset that you only have two servings left! I am so delighted that you enjoyed this recipe and that you took the time to come back and let me know. Next time you’ll double the recipe. Happy Cooking! :)

8. Lisa says:

This recipe looks delicious. I love indian-inspired dishes. One of my favorite recipes is a West african cashew soup. It has cashew butter, chicken and veggies in it. It’s so good!

Hi Lisa, the West African Cashew stew sounds wonderful – I would just leave out the chicken and be happy!

9. E says:

How long would you cook it on the stovetop? What about in a pressure cooker?

Thanks!

I haven’t made this on the stove top but I would think about 1.5 hours perhaps two depending on how high the burner is. You just need the quinoa and the sweet potato to cook. I really don’t know about making it in the pressure cooker – my guess would be about 6 minutes but that’s just a guess! :)

1. E says:

Thanks, looks delicious!

Yep, this one was a winner! Sadly, I thought I had quinoa in my pantry, but I did not – so I pureed the soup and its thick and delicious.

Thanks – I’ll enjoy this for lunches this week!

Glad you like it Biz and I think it just keeps getting better as it sits in the fridge! Enjoy. :)

11. Ozlem says:

This was absolutely delicious. I totally should have doubled the recipe. And now I am out of light coconut milk otherwise I would make a second batch. I took it to a party and it was gone in a flash. I added onion, celery, carrots I think but next time I will add more veggies to make it even healthier yummier. Thank you!

I wonder how it would taste if I just subbed unsweetened almond milk in place of the coconut milk. Probably not as good but I am considering it :)

So glad to know you enjoyed it – I need to make it again soon! I read on line that you can use almond milk with a little bit of coconut extract in place of coconut milk. I think it was a small amount of coconut extract like 1/4 – 1/2 tsp to one cup almond milk. I haven’t tried it myself yet but I read that it works. Happy Cooking!

1. Healthy Vegan Friday: Pumpkin Recipes Galore says:

[…] Easiest Healthy Soup - African Quinoa Peanut Stew from Nutmeg Notebook: […]

2. Hi, My Name is Biz and It’s Been Eight Days Since I’ve Had Cheese | My Bizzy Kitchen says:

[…] quick swim and I was back at work.  I couldn’t wait to eat lunch.  I ended up making Tami’s African Peanut Quinoa Stew for lunch.  Slight changes – um, I thought I had quinoa and I didn’t.  She said that […]

3. Weeknight Surf & Turf | My Bizzy Kitchen says:

[…] had the last of my African Peanut Stew for lunch, with cucumbers, cut up banana, black berries and a small piece of schiaccata I made over […]

4. Plant Based Vegan Food Finds » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[…] you need something to warm you up try this African Quiona Peanut Stew a great company […]