I have one of the best blog give-a-ways ever to share with you today as well as a fantastic lightened up recipe just in time for the holidays. One of my favorite winter side dishes is the oh so popular oven roasted butternut squash with apples and pecans. Delicious doesn’t even begin to describe how amazing this very simple recipe is. Everyone loves it and truth be told it could pass for dessert! Since I am trying to cook without added oils I lightened up this dish by subbing a little apple juice for the coconut oil. I am happy to report that this worked like a charm. I buy those little lunch box sized juice boxes to keep on hand for recipes like this.
To make this a quick and easy recipe I used the pre- cut butternut squash from Costco. The house was filled with the warm aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg and apples as this recipe baked in my new Pyrex Portables 9 x 13 - 3 quart baking dish. I love having the handles to carry this hot dish.
Lightened Up Oven Roasted Butternut Squash with Apples & Pecans
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 apples, cored and cubed – not peeled, use sweet ones for this dish
- 2 – 4 tablespoons apple juice (replaces the butter)
- 2 Tablespoons real Maple syrup, honey or Agave (original recipe – 3 tablespoons honey)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans (original recipe – 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (original recipe 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place cubed butternut squash and apples in a 9 x 13 inch pan sprayed with non stick spray. Add 2 tablespoons apple juice cover pan with foil and roast 30 minutes – stirring once. Add more juice if pan starts to get dry.
While squash and apple chunks are roasting combine the rest of the ingredients. Remove pan from oven, pour mixture over squash and apples, stir gently to coat. Return pan to oven and cook uncovered for an additional 30 – 40 minutes or until squash and apples are softly cooked, stirring every 15 minutes. Add more apple juice if pan seems to get dry.
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: about 1/2 cup
Per Serving: 89 Calories, 1.3 g fat, o mg Cholesterol, 1.7 mg Sodium, 20.8 g Carbohydrates, 3.3 g Fiber, 1.5 g Protein
Recipe adapted from a recipe on the Eat Smart Organic peeled, cubed butternut squash package from Costco.
The folks at Pyrex contacted me and asked me if I would be interested in trying their Pyrex Portables dish and of course I said yes! They sent me a 9 x 13 baking dish with a a carrying case that holds a cold/hot pack and a round no leak bowl which is perfect for holding the leftovers. In addition they sent me a gift card to purchase ingredients to make this dish. The day the boxes showed up I felt like Christmas arrived a little early at my house.
I have already used the baking dish several times – and we even used the carrying case to take a hot casserole dish of Morroccan Roasted Vegetables to a friends house on a very cold night. It stayed piping hot in the bag for an hour or so. When we went home a few hours later the hot pack was still plenty hot! The hot/cold pack can be frozen or heated up in the microwave oven. If using it to keep food hot insert the pack into the pouch underneath the baking dish. If you want to use it cold – place the frozen pack in the pocket of the carrying case lid. How cool is that (no pun intended)?
Hubby Tom got in on the action – he loves being able to use his hot gloves! The instructions say to put the lid on the hot dish within 2 minutes of removing it from the oven. It’s not leak proof so be mindful if your Pyrex dish contains a lot of liquid to keep the dish level at all times. Of course use hot pads or gloves to transfer the hot dish to the carrying case.
Zip it up and you are good to travel – or just keep the dish warm while you use the oven for something else or keep a dish cold when your fridge is too full. This could be very handy when cooking a holiday meal. As always I share with you my honest opinions about products and foods that I try even if I get them for free. The truth is, I am quite smitten with this Pyrex Portable assemble! If you attend pot lucks, take food to work to share, take food to holiday gatherings or are short on oven/refrigerator space when you cook and entertain then this set needs to be in your kitchen! I noticed that its currently unavailable on Amazon but you can find it at Target and Walmart for around $30. I feel like that would be money well spent. I also did see it at my local Costco not too long ago. But first enter here to win it for free!
I am so excited to share that one lucky reader is going to win this 4 piece set of Pyrex Portables!
How to enter for a chance to win this prize:
This giveaway is now over!
Mandatory – Leave me a comment telling me what recipe you would make in this Pyrex Portables dish.
For Additional Entries:
1. Sign up to receive email notifications of my posts. Click on the envelope icon on the right side bar to sign up.Once you do that or if you already are signed up leave me a separate comment telling me. You must leave a separate comment for it to count. Email notification is the best way to stay caught up on new posts.
2. Like the Nutmeg Notebook Facebook page. Come back and tell me in separate comment that you did or if you already have. Oh and just in case you didn’t know Facebook no longer will notify you of my posts unless you hover over the like button and click on “get notifications”. They want to start charging me to forward anything to your news feed! That’s not in my blogging budget.
3. Follow me on Twitter and then come back and tell me in a separate comment that you did or if you already do follow me on Twitter.
This give-a-way will remain open for entries through Wednesday December 25th, 2013. The winner will be announced later next week here on the blog and the winner will be sent an email with all the information. Good luck!