Big Beautiful Chopped Salads

For months now I have been enjoying big beautiful chopped salads that I lovingly refer to as my BBS. I saw Chef AJ demonstrate how to make one of these chopped salads in a cooking video and once I tried it myself I was hooked! Chopping the salad does something wonderful to the ingredients that makes them even more delicious. They become sweeter and more moist so they require less  salad dressing or less vinegar. I have always enjoyed my big beutiful salads – BBS – but now I love them! If you follow me on Instagram or the Nutmeg Notebook facebook page you have no doubt seen the chopped salad photos I have posted all summer long. There are endless possibilities for the ingredients going into the chopped salad and the toppings you choose to garnish them with.

Chopped Salads Nutmeg Notebook

Big Beautiful Chopped Salads
Nutmeg Notebook

This is just a small sample of the chopped salads I have had in the past months. Underneath the toppings is at least one pound of vegetables including a combination of baby kale, baby spinach, red cabbage, red onion, carrots, celery, jicama, red bell pepper, romaine, apples, mandarin oranges, little tomatoes and whatever else I might have in the fridge at the time I make the salads. Once it’s chopped, dress the salad with a salad dressing like the very popular Creamy Balsamic Dressing or use a good quality vinegar like Napa Valley Naturals Grand Reserve – one of my favorites. Adding starch makes these salads even more filling. My favorite add in is some wild rice – it has a nutty flavor and some bite to it which is a nice contrast to all those veggies. Other toppings might include, corn cut off the cob, sweet potatoes, steamed green beans, roasted squash, roasted Brussels sprouts, asparagus cooked in the Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer, cooked beets, Sun dried Tomato Basil Hummus, beans, fruit, cucumbers, tomatoes and whatever I happen to have in the fridge! Everyday the salad can be different. You can use different salad dressings or flavored vinegar and really change it up. You can’t mess this up – it’s super easy!

I have a new Amazon Recommendations Page with most of my favorite gadgets and widgets that I use in my kitchen and my hobbies! To find this link in the future just click on the Shop tab at the top of the home page. When you purchase from my Amazon links you help support this blog without any additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting this blog and my You Tube Channel.

Yesterday when I was ready to make my chopped BBS for lunch hubby Tom video taped it so I could show you all how I make it.

The unfinished solid Holland 15 inch Beech Wood Bowl is amazing and a must have for making these salads easily with the Ulu knife. I will provide you with links below to the products I use. Here is a link to the video Tom made all about How To Care For A Wood Bowl.

This is one of my favorite tools in my kitchen. The Holland Unfinished Solid Beech Wood 15 inch Bowl. I use it daily! Not only for chopped salads but chopping herbs in it is a breeze! They stay in the bowl instead of flying all over your counter top and your cutting board. You will love it!

This knife is super sharp so be careful when you are using it and keep your fingers away from the blade. You can use it for herbs as well as all of your chopped salad ingredients. Another amazing kitchen tool that is used daily in the Nutmeg Notebook kitchen.

The Amazon links provided are affiliate links – by using it you help support this site at no extra cost to you. Thank you for the support!

You might enjoy my previous post and watching the video How To Make A Big Beautiful Salad. This is the method I use for making large batches of salads like the one I showed in the video that I put into the Holland wood bowl to become a chopped salad. I no longer buy the baby mixed greens because they wilt too fast. Instead I buy pre-washed baby spinach and baby kale. The Ziplock 9 cup containers are what I use for storing the salads whole before turning them into a chopped salad. The salads will last in the fridge up to four – five days before being chopped and without any salad dressing or vinegar. I have made the chopped salads in the morning and taken them in a cooler to have for lunch later in the day and they hold up well for a few hours. Once you purchase the Holland Solid Beech Wood Unfinished Wood Bowl you will need to take care of it properly so to it will last for years – check out Tom’s Video for Proper Care of Unfinished Wood Bowl.

The Corelle 2 qt bowls are the perfect size for holding your Big Beautiful Chopped Salads. This was the best price I found for them.

I am on a mission to get people to change what they call their big salads. It has become quite popular on Instagram and facebook for people to refer to their over-sized salads as a big ass salad. I find that to be a bit distasteful and crude. John Pierre one of my mentors in the Ultimate Weight Loss group talks a lot about choosing our words carefully because they have a lot of power. Our thoughts influence and change our behavior and have an impact on our mood. I love everything about my salads and am so grateful to have amazing produce available to make them. It just feels right to call them a Big Beautiful Salad – BBS for short! If you want to join me in spreading the love of our salads then be sure to tag your salad photos with Big Beautiful Salad or BBS!. Let’s put a positive spin on feeding ourselves healthy gorgeous food that in turn helps us to be beautiful from the inside out!

To your health,

A Little Nutmeg Nugget: When I started this blog in January of 2010 I followed what I understood to be a healthy version of the standard American diet, ironically also known as the “SAD” diet. As interest in my own health and how it was affected by the food I ate evolved, I transitioned to a whole food plant based diet also known as “WFPB” diet. I have wrestled with the fact that this blog still contains all those posts and recipes from the SAD way of eating I have left behind. I no longer advocate for anyone to eat that way. At this time I am leaving those recipes and posts here. It is a record of my journey and how I came to follow a WFPB way of eating. It is my hope that those who still come here for those old recipes will be curious about what I am doing now. Perhaps they will dip their toes across the line as I did and try some plant based recipes and learn more about the health benefits.

Please feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1 ping

1. E says:

Great video! I ordered the bowl, ulu and oil. Now I need Tom’s information on cleaning and oiling the bowl. I had been using a plastic bowl with an Oxo rolling chopper that didn’t maintain it’s sharpness. Now t only was it bruising the greens, but I worried about eating plastic shards. Please send the video on caring for the wooden bowl as soon as possible. Thanks!

Hi E – You will love the bowl. I was using that plastic bowl and OXO rolling chopper too and the Ulu and wooden bowl are so much better! You will love it! Tom’s video is up on my You Tube channel already. He talks about how to properly oil the bowl when you first get it too and then how to maintain it. Let us know if you have any questions! I am really excited for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSBBZMIaXEA

Happy Healthy Cooking!

1. E says:

I got my bowl last week and am still debating whether to keep it or not…..
        Knowing me, I may decide that oiling it is too much trouble and go back to the old pottery or plastic bowls that I have been using. Have pretty much overcome that and think that I will keep it.
        But, my question is that I have been wondering if that salad that you demonstrated is for just you or for you and your husband. If it’s just for you, do you make it twice when you are preparing lunch?
        Thanks!

2. Rochelle Delizo-Mamaril says:

Hi Tami
    May I ask you where you buy your black rice or what brand you recommend or get pls?
    Also what would be your go to burger that you make most of the time ?
    Which bean soup also are your favorites ?
    I wanna know so I can make the ones you like the best .
    Ty Tami

Hi Rochelle,

I had been purchasing the Trader Joe’s Wild Rice but it’s not organic and so now I will be looking for an organic wild rice. I think Whole Foods will be a good resource for that or Amazon – it might be cheaper on Amazon. My favorite veggie burger recipe hasn’t been posted it – my friend created it and it has become my go to recipe. I will try to get it posted soon. I make the Red Lentil Chili a lot and add red kidney beans and or black beans to it. The Mushroom Chili is also a favorite served over potatoes or brown rice. http://nutmegnotebook.com/2013/09/red-lentil-chili-pressure-cooker-slow-cooker/ http://nutmegnotebook.com/2013/09/portabella-mushroom-chili-2/ I love this stew recipe http://nutmegnotebook.com/2013/12/three-sisters-harvest-stew-baked-tortilla-chips-2/ The Winter Vegetable Soup is yummy – http://nutmegnotebook.com/2013/10/winter-vegetable-soup-2/ I only post recipes I really like so any of them that appeal to your taste buds would be scrumptious! I will try to get that veggie burger recipe posted soon!

Happy Healthy Cooking! Tami

3. Patti says:

Hi tami,

Love your videos, thanks for doing them! How long do you think the salad will keep once it is chopped? If I chop it the night before and put it in the fridge will it keep (not be soggy) by lunch at work the next day? Or would you recommend that I do the chopping of the salad the in the morning for lunch at noon the same day?

Thanks again for all the UWL compliant recipes!
    -Patti

Hi Patti,

If I need to take a chopped salad with me I wait until morning and chop it then put it in a soft sided cooler bag with an ice pack. I do think the chopped salads start to get soggy the longer they sit after chopping. Some people tell me they chop their salads in advance and they like them even the next day. So I guess it is personal preference. You could try chopping a smaller amount the night before and take it with you to work and see what you think. I have had some leftover chopped salad a couple of times and have eaten it the next day but I didn’t think it tasted as good or was as crisp when done so far in advance. You are so welcome for the recipes – I am delighted to have a forum where I can pass it forward. It is so satisfying knowing that others are adopting this lifestyle. Happy Chopping, Tami

2. Carry says:

Patti,
      I have been chopping my salads in the morning for my lunch later that day. I don’t refrigerate them or use an ice pack. It just sits in my bag until I’m ready to eat. Works great.

4. Carry says:

Tami, Thank you for making this video. What a game changer your advice is! Yesterday I made a salad with almost the same ingredients. I don’t have a Holland bowl, so I hand chopped the greens using and knife and used a food processor to chop everything else. I added cooked grains and sweet potato and finished it off with a drizzle of fig balsamic and handful of blueberries.

The salad was SO big. I didn’t have a container big enough to take it to work with me, so I poured it into a gallon ziplock bag to transport it. I thought there was no way I’d be able to finish it. Turns out I couldn’t in one sitting, so I ate 1/2 for lunch and another 1/2 as an afternoon snack.

OMG! This is one of the best salads I’ve ever eaten. Thank you!

Carry your salad sounds wonderful – keep up the good work. These chopped salads are amazing!

1. Proper Care of Unfinished Wood Chopping Bowls » Nutmeg Notebook says: