Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes

One of the perks of following a whole food plant based diet is that we enjoy potatoes of all kinds all the time! They get a bad wrap but potatoes are actually very healthy. It is what people put on them that makes them little calorie bombs. It’s so easy to make amazing mashed potatoes without any fattening ingredients. Yet they taste insanely delicious. Don’t take my word for it – no instead get that pressure cooker out and get cooking.

Instant Pot Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes  Nutmeg Notebook

Instant Pot Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Nutmeg Notebook

Mashed potatoes are so easy in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. You cook, mash and keep them warm all in the Instant Pot. No draining water off either and the taste – nothing short of fabulous! Now you will make mashed potatoes all the time not just at the holidays. Skin on or off? I like the soft thin skins of the Yukon Gold potatoes left on but if you prefer go ahead and peel them!

I made you all this little video so you could see just how easy using the Instant Pot is and how quick you can make amazing Garlic Mashed Potatoes! Stay tuned to see how to use these mashed potatoes to stuff portabello mushrooms for the air fryer! That will be my next video.

Instant Pot Nutmeg Notebook

Instant Pot
Nutmeg Notebook

This is my 6 quart Instant Pot. I also have the 8 quart and I use them both all the time. That are super safe – these are not like the ones your Grandma used. These are electric and you toss all the ingredients in, set the timer and walk away. When it’s done cooking it goes to a warm setting until you are ready to serve. It can cook grains, potatoes, chili, soup, lentils, beans, it’s a yogurt maker, slow cooker and a rice cooker too. If you don’t own one yet what are you waiting for? The Instant Pot is available from Amazon. If you use my affiliate link it helps to support this page without any extra cost to you.  Thank you.

Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes

• 2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks – or your favorite kind of potato
  • 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
  • 8 cloves of garlic – or to taste
  • 2-3 teaspoons Benson’s Table Tasty Salt Substitute or your favorite salt substitute
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, warmed so it doesn’t cool down the potatoes
  • 1 tablespoon dried Chives or 2 tablespoons fresh minced chives
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • Dash of Cayenne pepper

Put the potatoes, broth and garlic cloves in the Instant Pot, secure the lid and press manual, set time for 4 minutes. When it is done cooking use quick pressure release. Open pot carefully as it will be hot, do not drain the liquid, using a potato masher start mashing making sure you get the cloves of garlic. Add all of the seasonings. Add the almond milk a little at a time – you may not need it all depending on how creamy you like your potatoes. Keep mashing and adding the warm almond milk until you have the desired consistency.

Variations: you can change up the seasonings, add fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary or an Italian seasoning mix, Herbs de Provence, sun dried tomatoes, use half rutabagas or parsnips in place of half the potatoes, customize them to suit your needs.

Serves 4-6

A Nutmeg Notebook Recipe

We are working on making more videos. It really takes some time to prep everything in the kitchen to get ready for the videos, the actual taping and all the re-takes. Today I got the giggles and couldn’t stop – it was hilarious. We should have saved those out-takes for a special edition!  After all that is done Tom has the chore of editing them and I get kitchen duty. It’s fun and we enjoy it when we can carve out the time in our schedule to make it happen.

Coming up next will be stuffed portobello mushrooms in the air fryer and a video on how to clean the Breville Smart Oven Air. The longer we have it the more we are learning and we have a few tricks up our sleeves that make clean up easier. Follow my Nutmeg Notebook You Tube Channel so you don’t miss out!

Enjoy your potatoes!

A Little Nutmeg Nugget: When I started this blog in January of 2010 I followed what I understood to be a healthy version of the standard American diet, ironically also known as the “SAD” diet. As interest in my own health and how it was affected by the food I ate evolved, I transitioned to a whole food plant based diet also known as “WFPB” diet. I have wrestled with the fact that this blog still contains all those posts and recipes from the SAD way of eating I have left behind. I no longer advocate for anyone to eat that way. At this time I am leaving those recipes and posts here. It is a record of my journey and how I came to follow a WFPB way of eating. It is my hope that those who still come here for those old recipes will be curious about what I am doing now. Perhaps they will dip their toes across the line as I did and try some plant based recipes and learn more about the health benefits.

I love hearing from you dear readers! Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.

1 ping

1. Maryellen says:

This will be lunch! Thanks, Tami!!

You are welcome!

2. Bonnie says:

Will definitely try these, thank you for the video! Curious: you have 3 pressure cookers that you use all the time and you are concerned about sodium in commercial vegetable broths…why not make your own broth/stock?? It’s super easy, cheap, and reduces trash from containers. I roughly chop one large onion, 1 bunch of celery, a few carrots and a couple of handfuls of mushrooms; place in Instant Pot with a few cloves of garlic and peppercorns, plus 1 TBSP tomato paste. Cover with water and set for about 20 minutes. Strain, cool then store in freezer bags. I find a huge difference in how much better my soups, stews, etc taste. Hope you’ll try it and thanks for all of the inspiration.

Hi Bonnie,

Thank you for the pep talk about making my own broth. I know I should I just haven’t gotten into the groove of doing it. I know a lot of people uses their veggie scraps – save them in a freezer bag and when it’s full they make broth. You are shaming me into trying it! That is a good thing by the way not a bad thing! I will try your recipe and let you know how it turns out!

Happy Cooking!

3. Ju Gould says:

Hi Tami I so very glad that I stumbled across your video showing how you stock up and cook for the week. I am a total convert now to plant based whole foods and feel so energised and excited to face each day . I noticed that you don’t eat til midday which is what I do .Do you think that this intermittent fasting idea helps with weight loss as well as being combined with the whole food plant based diet. Are there any studies done on this. . It makes life so easy not having to think about fitting breakfast in to my life and I am never hungry as have eaten such satiating food the day before.
    Please keep up your videos as you are so inspiring ,so calm and lovely to listen to.
    Ju.

Hi Ju Gould,

Thank you so much for lovely comments – it’s nice to get positive feedback. Congratulations on following a whole food plant based diet that is so health promoting! I just naturally fell into intermittent fasting since I don’t get hungry for my first meal of the day until mid morning and we eat an early dinner. You are so right that since we are eating healthy filling food we have less hunger! It’s a great thing. There are some very interesting articles about intermittent fasting on the True North Health Center website. It has proven to help with weight loss! http://www.healthpromoting.com/search/node/Intermittent%20fasting

Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing!

4. Jude gould says:

Just one more thing Tami, I have been watching Chef AJ videos since you mentioned her and she doesn’t use any nuts or seeds because of the high oil content . Do you adhere to this and do you think that nuts and seeds contain vital nutrients and omegas that we might be missing out on if we don’t consume them .
    Cheers
    Jude

Hi Jude,

I really can’t advise you if you should or shouldn’t include nuts or seeds in your food plan – that needs to be a discussion between you and your physician. Chef AJ doesn’t recommend nuts or seeds during weight loss because of the higher fat content and calorie density they can prevent or slow down weight loss for some individuals. In her Ultimate Weight Loss group we are advised to not have nuts and seeds for at least the first 21 days of her food plan and to decide then what to do next. Nuts are a difficult food for a lot of people to moderate and they are a high calorie food. Seeds on the other hand are much easier to moderate – people don’t usually over eat on seeds. Chef AJ has shared in her Weight Loss Wednesday chats that she had her Omega levels checked recently and she is fine. My doctor and I have decided that I should include a tablespoon of flax or chia seeds in my food plan daily. Dr Greger’s site http://www.nutritionfacts.org is a valuable resource for nutrition questions. You can search by topic and he has videos based on the latest scientific research to answer questions like this.

I hope this helps!

5. Lisa says:

Mine ended up gluey. I used just over 2 lbs of yellow potatoes and exactly 1 cup of stock. Did not use all my cashew milk. Not sure what went wrong?

1. Breville Smart Oven Air Garlic Mashed Potato Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[…] « Instant Pot Garlic Mashed Potatoes […]