No Oil French Fries In The Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer

Everyone most likely purchases an air fryer so they can make healthy fries at home – am I right? Come to think of it, I don’t think I have ever met a person who doesn’t like french fries! In an air fryer you can make delicious crispy crunchy fries with out any oil. That is right, not one drop of oil is needed. Tom and I have tried multiple ways to make healthy fries and hands down the air fryer is the easiest method with the best results. Scroll down to watch the You Tube video of me making the fries.

No Oil Fries in the Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer
Nutmeg Notebook

We like the fries best when we use cold pre-baked potatoes. They seem to come out crispier for some reason. Tom likes russet potatoes best for fries but I like them all. You can use Yukon Gold, russet, sweet potatoes, Japanese Sweet Potatoes or whatever you happen to have on hand. Simply slice them into the size you like best and air fry them. We set the air fryer to 400 degrees and put the tray in the air fryer without preheating it and in 19-20 minutes the fries are ready to eat. Easy. I like easy.

No Oil Fries in the Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer
Nutmeg Notebook

You can make a large batch of fries in the Breville Smart Oven Air. In fact you can make two trays of fries at the same time. Awesome for a party or large family.

No Oil Fries in the Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer
Nutmeg Notebook

Just look at how crispy the fries come out of the air fryer.

We have added a few new things to the blog which I am really excited about. Now you can find all of my Batch Cooking posts in one place. Click on the Recipes tab at the top of the page, on the drop down menu click on Plant Strong, this leads you to the recipe navigation page where you can click on Batch Cooking. When the Batch Cooking page appears you can scroll down the page and see all my Batch Cooking posts. Click on the one you want to see.

There is also a Travel Cooking tab on the recipe navigation page and there you will find all of blog posts about how to travel and eat a whole food plant based diet.

The other exciting news is that I have an Amazon Recommendations Page. I will be adding more products to it as time goes on. There you will find my favorite kitchen gadgets, widgets, small appliances and things that I use for my hobbies like hiking. When you purchase items through my Amazon links you help to support the work here and my You Tube Channel. Thank you for your support.

Happy Healthy Cooking!

Please leave a comment or ask a question.

A Little Nutmeg Nugget: When I started this blog in January of 2010 I followed what I understood to be a healthy version of the standard American diet, ironically also known as the “SAD” diet. As interest in my own health and how it was affected by the food I ate evolved, I transitioned to a whole food plant based diet also known as “WFPB” diet. I have wrestled with the fact that this blog still contains all those posts and recipes from the SAD way of eating I have left behind. I no longer advocate for anyone to eat that way. At this time I am leaving those recipes and posts here. It is a record of my journey and how I came to follow a WFPB way of eating. It is my hope that those who still come here for those old recipes will be curious about what I am doing now. Perhaps they will dip their toes across the line as I did and try some plant based recipes and learn more about the health benefits.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1 ping

1. Rosie says:

We just got a air fryer for Christmas and was looking for healther fries to make, do you think i could do them this way in it? And how long do you cook your potatoes the first time in the regular oven?

Hi Rosie,

Congratulations on getting an air fryer. Yes it works pretty much the same in all air fryers. I bake the potatoes at 400 degrees for an hour – if they are huge it could take another 15 minutes but usually and hour works. Then we let them chill in the fridge. They cut easier when cold. Air fry for 20 minutes at 400 degrees works well in the Breville. You will need to test out your air fryer and see what works best with it but this is good place to start.

Enjoy!

2. Lani says:

I am so glad iu make these videos so i can see u frequently! Well that is NOT the only reason!! Do you season your fries beforehand or do you like them unadulterated 😜

Hi Lani,

No seasoning on the fries we are at the point where we like them as is! Isn’t that crazy?

Eat Plants and Live Well

3. Stephanie says:

Great video, Tami. Have you posted the recipe you use for catsup? If not, would you please consider it or point us in the direction of the recipe.
    Thank you!

Sorry it’s not on the blog yet. Here is a preview –

Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 Tbsp)
      6 Tbsp (or 3 fl. oz.) unflavored “reduced” balsamic vinegar I use Napa Valley Naturals Grand Reserve Balsamic which is only 4% acidity (the good stuff, like Bema & Pa’s, or the Olive Tap are also good.) Using a white balsamic will will keep the ketchup a light red.
      6 oz can salt-free tomato paste
      1 tsp onion granules
      1/4 tsp allspice
      (To make a BBQ sauce, add 1 tsp liquid smoke)

As this only makes a little over a cup, blend together using the smallest blending tool you may have–like a hand-held immersion blender, in a slender tall container. If doubling the recipe, it would work great in a small Vitamix, I just found with mine it has too wide a base to blend small quantities like this. Recipe created by Mairead Reddy

4. elizabeth says:

Hi Tami. Have you ever done a post or video on what a typical day of meals looks like for you and your husband? Would love to see it. Thanks!

Hi Elizabeth,

No I haven’t done a what we eat in a day video or post but that is a great idea!
      Thank you.

5. Melodie Gustavsen says:

Tami. I’m loving your blog and videos. I started UWL last week, found your website and am not working my way through everything you’ve done. What great inspiration! My Smart Oven Air came last night and I can’t wait to try it out. I’m assuming that you pre-cook sweet potatoes as well before making sweet potato fries?

Welcome to UWL and my blog! Yes we make fries out of precooked sweet potatoes as well. They don’t get as crispy because they are so moist but they are still delicious! Enjoy!

6. Susan says:

These are fantastic, and so simple. I’ve been trying to get raw potatoes to turn out well in the air fryer with mixed success (and a lot more bother). Now I just throw a few extra potatoes into the instant pot and pull one out of the fridge when I feel like fries.

Thanks so much!

Susan – we prefer them from cooked potatoes too! Enjoy your fries!

1. LIsa Morgan says:

Have you tried freezing the baked potatoes? I am wondering about whole or pre-cut into the fries.

I have not tried freezing them. Let me know how it works if you do.

7. Moey says:

Thanks for the instruction.

1. Make A Great Tasting Ketchup & BBQ Sauce – No Added Sugar! » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[…] it you know your search is over. This ketchup recipe is delicious. So get out the air fryer and fry up a big batch of no oil fries because you now have an amazing ketchup for dipping! Watch the video to see how easy it is to make […]