Oat Groats What Are They & How Do You Cook Them?

Just when you think you have tried most of the whole grains and cereals a different one crosses your path. Such is the case with myself and oat groats. Recently my friend  Barbara Whitney suggested that I might enjoy oat groats in place of brown rice in savory dishes. In the past I have made some savory oat dishes with sun dried tomatoes, garlic, onions and herbs and found them to be quite delicious. I set out to find myself some oat groats and that was a bigger task than I had imagined. Living in California I am usually able to find whatever type of food I desire with the abundance of stores at my disposal. However; there were only two stores that had oat groats. Thank goodness for the Whole Foods Store bulk section where I found organic oat groats. My first experiment of making them in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker was a dismal failure. They turned out like porridge and not at all like brown rice. It was then that my friend Sharon Klupt McRae told me how to make oat groats in the IP and have them turn out the consistency of brown rice. Thank you Sharon – these oat groats have been a game changer for me!

We made a video so you can see how easy cooking oat groats in the Instant Pot Pressure cooker is. I like to use my 3 QT IP for oat groats. It makes enough for the week for me.

Oat Groats
Nutmeg Notebook

“Oatmeal contains soluble fiber, which reduces your low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the “bad” cholesterol. Soluble fiber is also found in such foods as kidney beans, apples, pears, barley and prunes. Soluble fiber can reduce the absorption of cholesterol into your bloodstream.” Jun 12, 2015  Source: Mayo Clinic.  Even though I follow a low fat whole food plant based diet my body is still a little cholesterol making machine. I have to be diligent about including oats in my diet to keep my LDL levels down. Since I don’t eat breakfast having a savory oat option later in the day works well for me. If you want to know more about LDL Cholesterol be sure to watch Dr Greger’s videos on cholesterol at Nutrition Facts. org

Oat Groats
Nutmeg Notebook

Cooked in the IP this way allows you to use oat groats in place of rice. They are a bit chewy much like brown rice and have a bit of a nutty flavor. I love them! Enjoy oat groats as a side dish, in a pilaf with your favorite mix-ins. Serve it topped with your favorite Chili, Soup or Stew. I like a scoop of it cold added to my Big Beautiful Chopped Salads. They are delicious topped with a hearty serving of Slow Cooker Black Beans, a dollop of Green Chili Hummus , cilantro and some of Tami’s Easy Red Salsa. Now you can see, there are so many ways to incorporate oat groats into your diet in a savory way. Give them a try!

Oat Groats in the Instant Pot

• 2 cups raw Oat Groats
  • 3 cups boiling water

Put oat groats and boiling water in the Instant Pot, set time for 5 minutes on high pressure. Natural release and let the Instant pot go to warm and let it sit for 2 hours. Perfect oat groats that can be used savory like brown rice!

Directions from Sharon Klupt McRae

On the home front things are really getting busy around here! My first in home cooking class is coming up in a couple weeks and I already have 16 people signed up for it. I have just 4 more places left. I am sure it is going to be sold out in the next week. It’s very exciting that so many people are interested in learning how to be on a whole food plant based diet. Tom and I are excited to be able to help others on the path we have already traveled. Several couples have signed up for the class and I love that they are exploring this way of life together and that the men are also interested in learning how to cook plant foods.

If you live in the Sacramento CA area and are interested in the class you sign up for it here Nutmeg Notebook Evenetbrite. I plant on offering one class a month and they will have different themes. I have so many ideas that will keep us going for the entire year!

Be sure to check out my AMAZON RECOMMENDATIONS PAGE where I have links to some of my favorite kitchen gadgets, widgets and appliances as well as hiking gear for our favorite hobby. When you purchase items through my links you help support this blog without any extra cost to you. Thank you for your support! To find the AMAZON RECOMMENDATIONS PAGE again just click on the SHOP tab at the top of this page for the link.

Have you subscribed to my Nutmeg Notebook You Tube Channel so you will always get notifications of new videos? If you like my videos be sure to give them a “thumbs up” and help my ratings on You Tube.

Do you follow the Nutmeg Notebook Facebook Page? I often post photos of my food there as well as links to recipes, videos and other fun things I come across.  Be sure to follow Nutmeg Notebook Instagram.

Happy Healthy Cooking,

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1 ping

1. MaryEllen says:

Love oat groats!! Thanks for sharing Tami!

You are so welcome Mary Ellen!

2. Mary says:

Just took my first bite of the IP Oat Groats after letting them sit for 2 hours and they are delicious!!!! Thanks so much for posting the recipe. Going to make Mushroom Chili next – can’t wait to try it with the oat groats.

Hi Mary,

I am so glad you like them! I just ate the last of mine mixed in a chopped salad – so delicious! Mushroom chili with oat groats should be delicious!

Happy Healthy Cooking,

3. Laurie Armitage says:

Hi Tami, Thank you so much for all of your wonderful advice and help. I finally bought some oak groats st Whole Foods! I’m planning to cook them to eat as a second breakfast ( in place of steel cut oats) with blueberries. In that case, should they be cooked more as a porridge, or do you think that I would still prefer to have them more like a rice? If you think that I should try them more as a porridge, how should I cook them? Thank you so much! Laurie

I would still want them cooked like rice but that is personal preference! I would cook them this way and add blueberries to them. I didn’t care for them when cooked like a porridge. Some people like them as porridge. If you want them to be like porridge then you would use 1 cup oat groats, 2 cups water, 20 minutes at high natural pressure release. Enjoy!

4. Susan says:

Tami,

Have you tried cooking oat groats using the pot-in-pot method? I cook groats this way because it lets me control the moisture more precisely, and I get a great result without the 2 hours of resting time.

I use a covered pyrex dish, on the rack in the IP over water for pressure. My proportion of groats to water is 1 to 1. IP for 15 minutes (steam or manual), and natural release. I eat immediately after the pressure releases. The texture is not at all sticky or mushy, with fluffy separate grains like in your pictures.

~Susan

Hi Susan,

That sounds like a great method. Thank you so much for sharing this. I love learning new ways of making our foods.

Happy Healthy Cooking,

5. Linda Wheeler says:

Hi Susan I would like to see a pic of this method of cooking oat groats. Thanks so much. And Tami I am loving your site 😉 Keep up the great work 😉

6. Janet Riley says:

Tami,
    I make oatmeal with 1/3 c steel cut oats, 1/3 c buckwheat groats, 3 c water, cook in iPot for 10 minutes. They are very creamy. I’m going to try groats with your recipe.
    Westbrae organic mustard without salt can be found at Sprouts next to Roseville Costco for $2.99 or $3.99- much cheaper than Amazon. I bought them at Amazon once but no prime shipping- they cost too much there!
    Love your site, blog and videos!

Hi Janet,

Thank you so much for sharing all of this information. I do buy Westbrae at Sprouts but not everyone has a Sprouts nearby like we do. We are so lucky to have so many stores right here that sell the products we like to use! Your oatmeal mixture sounds wonderful.

Happy Healthy Cooking,

7. Janet Riley says:

Tami, yes, I just found that AND you live about 3 miles from me! I have another commitment during your March class. I will definitely sign up for a class when I can. Can’t wait!

Hi Janet,

I have another class in April maybe that one will work for you. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nutmeg-notebook-fresh-spring-rolls-and-more-hands-on-demonstrationclass-tickets-43508487056?aff=erelexpmlt

8. Beth says:

I’m making it today, thanks for the video

9. Priscilla Hiers says:

Hi Tami, would love to attend your cooking class, are you ever giving demos in Orange County, Ca. Is there anything that you would know happening out this way? I really enjoy your videos, please keep up the good work. Thanks so very much.
    Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,
      So many people who don’t live close enough to attend my classes requested that we video tape them and make them available to purchase on line. So we taped my last class and turned it into a cooking webinar! You can read about here with this link and it contains the information for purchasing it. http://nutmegnotebook.com/2018/05/mexican-fiesta-cooking-class-video-with-10-recipes/

I don’t do any classes in Southern California. However my dear friend Shayda holds cooking classes in her home in Southern CA – she is whole food plant based, no oil and a fabulous cook! When she comes to visit we have so much fun in the kitchen together. She has lost over 100 pounds and kept it off for years! She is a wonderful person and you will love her classes! Here is a link to her facebook page. She posts her class information there and you can send her a message and ask when she will have another class. She also has a Whole Food Plant Based Meet Up group that get’s together once a month for pot lucks and she brings in amazing speakers.https://www.facebook.com/Healthy-cooking-with-Shayda-180421719413231/

I hope this is helpful to you! It’s important to have a group of like minded people when you are on this journey of eating plants and going against mainstream society! Keep in touch and let me know how things are going.

Happy cooking,

If you do contact Shayda be sure and tell her I referred you to her!

10. Ed Dehorse says:

Hi Tami,

I stumbled across your youtube video on Oat Groats and wanted to pass along that the link listed with https does not work. I tried simply http and I found your excellent blog. We have an oatmeal club that meets on a monthly basis and Mr. Ed is our official spokesperson. You can see him at http://tpmtech.biz/NOATABLE. We are anxious to try your pressure cooked groats for our next club event. Thanks for sharing!

Ed and the Oatmeal Club Gang

Thank you for letting me know about the broken link Ed. I have never heard of an oatmeal club – that is pretty cool. I hope you like the oat groats made in the pressure cooker. I love them served savory in place of rice!

11. Allison says:

Hey Tami! I have a question about the oat groats. Do I turn my IP off when the 5 mins is up and let the oat groats sit for two hours, or do I just let them sit after the 5 mins with the clock running after they cook…??? I hope I am making sense. A lot of times I will cook potatoes and just turn it off and let the pressure come down without the time still going. Just wondering. Thanks for all of your advice!

I just leave the IP on and let it come down naturally and then it goes to the warm cycle. After two hours I shut it off and remove the oat groats. They are so yummy! Enjoy!

12. Amal Biggers says:

hi, could you freeze oat groat?

Yes I freeze them all the time!

1. Taco Salad Anyone? » Nutmeg Notebook says:

[…] way – they lower LDL cholesterol and taste fabulous, Check out my video and blog post on How to Cook Oat Groats in the Instant Pot. The oat groats were warmed up in the mircowave oven along with the […]