New Revised – Batch Prep Salads & Chopped Salads in a Holland Bowl

Since batch prepping Big Beautiful Salads and making Big Beautiful Chopped Salads are a huge part of my food plan I wanted to make a new video showing the ingredients I am currently using in my salads. I eat these salads everyday as it’s a beautiful easy way to get in a lot of greens as well as other vegetables and it is super low calorie, yet very filling. If I had to get out all the ingredients every day to make these salads it just wouldn’t happen. Since I have them all prepped and ready to go they have become my choice for “Fast Food!” I also want to share my favorite Solid Beechwood Bowl from Holland Bowl Mill and show you how I use it to make a chopped salad fast and easy. If you haven’t tried a chopped salad yet you are missing out on a culinary wonder. Salads are no longer boring since we started chopping them. Tom and I also made a new video for you so you can watch me in action batch prepping salads and chopping a salad.

Batch Prepping Big Beautiful Salads & Chopped Salads Using the Holland Bowl Mill 15 inch Solid Beechwood Bowl and Mezzaluna Knife

Holland Bowl Mill 15 inch Solid Beechwood Bowl with Mezzaluna Knife

I am now the proud owner of two Holland Bowl Mill 15 inch Solid Beechwood Bowls having recently recieved the one shown above as a gift from the company. After using my first bowl that I purchased for over a year everyday to make my chopped salads I have become an affiliate with the Holland Bowl Mill company.

The Holland Bowl Mill is now the best and largest solid wood bowl production facility in the world, making beautiful solid hardwood bowls of the highest quality, the same way they were made over 150 years ago. All of their bowls are sculpted from a solid block of wood using a lathe and a series of specialized knives that have been individually designed and forged at Holland Bowl Mill. Before smoothing and finishing, the bowls are steamed to help prevent the wood from cracking and splitting while air drying. After drying, sanding, and smoothing, the wooden bowls are bathed in food-safe mineral oil that nourishes the wood and brings out the beautiful wood grains unique to each bowl. No two bowls are exactly alike. The wood bowls do have a lifetime guarantee. You need to continue to oil and care for your bowl to prevent it from cracking. You will get a little instruction card telling you how to care for it. If you use my Holland Bowl Affiliate Link to purchase products from Holland Bowl Mill and have a minimum $125.00 order you will recieve a free mezzaluna knife with your order! Updated to say that when you place your order on their website using my affiliate link the free knife isn’t going to show on your order when you check out. However when Holland Bowl gets your order and sees that it came through my affiliate link with a minimum order of $125.00 they will automatically include a free Mezzaluna knife when they ship your order. They have excellent customer service and so far everyone has recieved the free knife with their order of $125.00 or more. If you want to put in the comments section that you are ordering through Nutmeg Notebook and understand that your $125.oo order qualifies you for a free Mezzaluna knife that’s ok too! Thank you for your support.

Holland Bowl Mill 15 inch Solid Beechwood Bowl
Nutmeg Notebook

One of the special services that Holland Bowl Mill offers is to engrave the bottom of your bowl for free! I could have it say Tami’s Kitchen for instance. If giving one as a wedding or anniversary gift you can have it engraved with the couples name and the date. or you could choose a favorite quote. It’s a lovely personal touch. Here is a link to watch a nice video all about the Holland Bowl Mill. I have found that the 15 inch Solid Beechwood bowl is just the right size to chop my one pound of salad ingredients. The Holland Bowl Mill recommends the solid Beechwood bowls for everyday salad chopping.

9 inch Two – Tone EboInized Cherry Wood Bowl – Holland Bowl Mill

If you are looking for something more decorative to put on display they have plenty of other beautiful choices. I love the two tone look of this cherry wood bowl and it’s perfect for holding fruit on my kitchen counter.

By using my Holland Bowl Affiliate Link you help support the work on this blog and my You Tube channel. Thank you so much for your support.

Chopped Salads
Nutmeg Notebook

This is a sample of the different Big Beautiful Chopped Salads I have made for my lunches. I like to get fancy and decorate the tops of the salads with additional fruits and vegetables. If I am going to be away for the day I will chop the salad in the morning and put it in a to go container that I pop into a small cooler. I keep the Balsamic vinegar on the side if it’s going to be several hours before eating it. The act of chopping all those veggies and fruits into small pieces makes the salad taste insanely delicious. It becomes moist and so much more flavorful even without any salad dressing. You really have to try a chopped salad to see what all the fuss is about.

Chopped Salad in a 15 inch solid Beechwood bowl from Holland Bowl Mill

I love all the color and the flavors in the chopped salad. Corn is such a nice addition to the chopped salads. Get creative and add whatever your favorite salad ingredients are. It’s a feast for your eyes and your tummy!

Big Beautiful Chopped Salad – Tami Nutmeg Notebook

Pick your favorite raw veggies, the list below are just some ideas, choose as many as you like.

• baby spinach
  • baby kale
  • romaine lettuce – chopped
  • kale leaves or other dark leafy greens
  • red cabbage – shredded
  • red onions – sliced
  • shredded carrots
  • broccoli slaw
  • sugar snap peas
  • Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch or shredded Brussels Sprouts
  • broccoli or cauliflower florets
  • cherry tomatoes
  • celery – sliced
  • red bell pepper
  • jicama
  • fresh herbs like basil, dill, cilantro, mint, parsley

Fruit Options add to the chopping bowl or mix in after chopping

• apple
  • mandarin oranges
  • blueberries
  • strawberries
  • pomegranate seeds
  • grapes
  • pineapple
  • mango
  • kiwi
  • persimmons
  • figs

Optional add – after chopping

Choose as many and as much raw veggies as you like, add them to a wood chopping bowl. Using an Ulu knife or a Mezzaluna knife, chop the veggies to the desired size.

Add in additional ingredients and toss with salad dressing, vinegar or fruit juice.  Allow plenty of time to eat your masterpiece!

My Creamy Balsamic Dressing is easy to make and so delcious.

Be sure to check out my Amazon Recommendations Page to see some of the products I enjoy using. By using my affiliate links you help support my work. Thank you for your support.

A Little Nutmeg Nugget: When I started this blog in January of 2010 I followed what I understood to be a healthy version of the standard American diet, ironically also known as the “SAD” diet. As interest in my own health and how it was affected by the food I ate evolved, I transitioned to a whole food plant based diet also known as “WFPB” diet. I have wrestled with the fact that this blog still contains all those posts and recipes from the SAD way of eating I have left behind. I no longer advocate for anyone to eat that way. At this time I am leaving those recipes and posts here. It is a record of my journey and how I came to follow a WFPB way of eating. It is my hope that those who still come here for those old recipes will be curious about what I am doing now. Perhaps they will dip their toes across the line as I did and try some plant based recipes and learn more about the health benefits.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1. MaryEllen says:

Pinned this posting, Tami!! Great info!

I am glad you enjoyed it MaryEllen!

2. Nanette says:

Another amazing video by you & Tom! Thank you!

3. Colleen Collins says:

Super video, Tami and Tom! I love seeing how your salads have changed in the past year, as have mine. I’m always looking for new ideas, and I think I will incorporate using mandarin oranges and apple pieces. I’ve been using grapes, because I love fruit in my salads, but it will be good to try something new. Thanks for the ideas!

4. Steve Fenn says:

My wife and I just watched your new video and loved it. I had previously purchased an ULU knife after seeing your other video, but hadn’t yet ordered the bowl. Glad now that I didn’t. I clicked the affiliate link to Holland, but I don’t see any indication of the knife being included. Is there a coupon code or will they just include the knife with the order. It’s for the 15″ beech bowl, so it qualifies for the $125 minimum. Thanks.

Hi Steve,

The link I provided is my affiliate link so on their side of things it shows up for them when you order that it was through Nutmeg Notebook and they automatically will include the knife with your order even though it doesn’t show up for you to see at check out. No coupon code is needed since they can see it was ordered through my link. You can always make a note in the comment box that your order is being placed through Nutmeg Notebook. They have wonderful customer service so should there be any issue with the order they will make it right. So far everyone has recieved their free knife by using the link I provided. Be sure to have your bowl engraved on the bottom with something fun!

I am so glad you loved the video and even happier that you are going to be making chopped salads. Your Ulu knife will work in the bowl too!

Happy Chopping!

5. Susan says:

The Holland bowl company is so responsive! I had the same question about the knife not showing up in the Cart upon checkout so I made a note. I almost immediately received an email that it was included. Just the nicest people!

I also ordered the beautiful fruit bowl they have. Wow, it looks gorgeous. Can’t wait for the next wedding or gift need so I can get one for a friend. I’ve bookmarked their site for sure.

Thank you for this updated tutorial. I’ve been using kitchen shears in the plastic salad box and it’s been a struggle (although it does work). I’m looking forward to upping my game.

Hi Susan,

I am so glad but not surprised that Holland Bowl responded quickly to your question. They really do have excellent customer service. I love my bowls! I am so excited for you to recieve your selections. They are lovely to have sitting out in your kitchen filled with fruit and veggies when not being used to chop! I think you will find the chopping bowl and knife to be quite an upgrade from your current method. The chopped salads are amazing no matter how we manage to achieve them!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. It really means a lot to me to get the feedback and I love getting to know the people who read the blog and watch the videos.

Happy Cooking,

6. Linda Mowen says:

Interested!!

7. Karen says:

I ordered my bowl – can’t wait to be chopping my big beautiful salads in it!

Hi Karen,

I am so excited for you to get your bowl!

Happy Chopping,

8. Nan says:

So appreciative of all the time you take to share in so many ways. I have never been comfortable in the kitchen, but with your help I actually know just what to do and how to do it to stay on program. I’ve been following a combination of Chef AJ’s UWL and Dr Fuhrman’s End of Diabetes. Everything you share fits beautifully into both lifestyles. No telling how many hours of figuring things out you have saved me! I had started chopping in a plastic bowl but it broke yesterday. I knew just what to do. Just ordered one of these bowls. Again thanks for the special link and for setting us all up for success. Just a tip in case you might be interested, I do things just a little different than you. I don’t sort the salads into individual plastic containers and wait to chop them at mealtime. I chop everything up as you have but don’t add the tomatoes, apples, berries rice or yams. This way the chopped salad can fit into a large clear glass Pyrex bowl. We have found that storage in the glass bowl keeps thing fresh for a week. We enjoy adding rice or potatoes or cooked dishes etc for a variety over the top to make a variety of different dishes. I’ll see if I can find the bowl we use. It came in a mixing bowl set with blue plastic lids. Thanks again.

HI Nan,

Thank you for sharing – its fun to see how everyone makes this work for themselves!

9. Nan says:

The bowl is the largest in this set. https://www.amazon.com/Pyrex-8-piece-Years-Mixing-Limited/dp/B0161EG5IE/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1521220561&sr=1-2&keywords=pyrex+bowl+735870

Holds 10 cups- 4.5 quart, 11 inches wide and 5 inches deep. I love this set as it is not too heavy for mixing bowls and it can be used to mix,serve and store!

10. Michelle says:

Love the way you make your salads! You’ve inspired me to do the same. Great video!

11. Jenn says:

Love your videos so much! Thank you for sharing this updated chopped salad – batch prep. Question – now that you’ve used both the ulu knife and the mezzaluna, which do you prefer? Do they both work the same? I’m trying to decide which one to buy. Thanks!

Hi Jenn, I am glad you have enjoyed this post and video. I had the Ulu knife first and have used it for over a year now so I guess it’s my favorite because I am so used to it but both work very well! The Ulu is sharper and because of it’s shape I think it’s easier to cut yourself with it. The mezzaluna knife shape makes it less likely that you will cut yourself – just an observation – although I haven’t cut myself with either one but I know some people who have had problems and cut themselves with the Ulu. Now that we have two bowls and two chopping devices Tom and I can both chop salads at the same time. We love these chopped salads – they are so amazing. Happy Chopping! Tami

12. Kay says:

Tami,

I really enjoyed your video! This will make it much easier for me to eat salads everyday.
    I wanted to let you know, that I contacted the Tramontina Company and ordered the 13-quart mixing bowl for $21.99 and that included shipping. I could not find one anywhere. I also have order my Holland Mill wooden bowl and it is on the way too.

That is so great Kay! Enjoy your new bowls and your chopped salads!

13. Carrie says:

Thanks for the inspiration! I just received my Holland bowl and am loving my big beautiful salads.

I’m so happy for you! The chopped salads are amazing!

14. Emily says:

Hi Tami,
    My husband, who has diabetes type 2, has just been diagnosed with afib and congestive heart failure. We not only adhere to a whole food diet, but now have to also avoid salt.
    We plan to do some traveling, but will have to be careful about food. You recently told of how you and your husband traveled and prepared most if not all your own meals.
    My question is, will you be doing an article on how and what you
    prepared? Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Emily

Hi Emily,

Congratulations on your healthy life style choice! It does take some planning to travel and eat a healthy whole food plant based diet but it is so worth the effort. I wrote a few blog posts about it. I will link to them for you but in the future you can find them again by clicking on the Recipe tab at the top of the home page, on the drop down menu click on the Plant Strong Recipes, a drop down recipe navigation page appears and under cooking method click on the Travel Cooking tab. Traveling by car means you can take a cooler and pack a lot of your own food but if you are flying you can still make it work. I use the internet to search where we are going, looking for grocery stores, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Health food stores and vegan restaurants. I will look and see if there is a Vegan Society Facebook page for the city we are going to be in. That is a good place to ask questions about where to get healthy vegan food, where to shop and so on. Yelp is also a good resource. You can carry quite a bit of food with you on a plane – just not liquids – must be solid foods. Some grocery delivery services will deliver groceries to your hotel. We always book a room with a fridge and a microwave – a mini kitchen is nice too but not always available where we are. Let me know if you have more questions after you read my travel posts.

Wishing you all the best, Tami

15. Michelle says:

Thank you Tami! I just ordered my bowl and free knife. I can’t wait to make an enormous chopped salad.