Best Oil Free Hummus

I wasn’t planning on doing a post this morning but I just made the best no oil hummus and I have to share the recipe. It is the best oil free hummus I have made or tasted – even if I do say so myself! While on my morning walk today I was talking to my mom on the phone and I was telling her that I like to eat raw veggies dipped in hummus. When I am short on time – which is most days lately I will buy the Engine 2 brand of hummus at Whole Foods. It’s not great tasting but it works in a pinch. I had a little extra time this morning before I needed to get to my daughter’s house so I decided to take 15 minutes and make some home made hummus. Yep that’s about all the time it takes to make hummus at home using canned beans. That is quicker than driving to the store to buy it! Why oh why was I buying hummus that was just ok when I could have been making this?

The Best No Oil Hummus
Nutmeg Notebook

You will eat a lot more veggies just so you can have a vessel to eat this insanely delicious no oil hummus!

The Best No Oil Hummus
Nutmeg Notebook

Just in time for Mother’s Day – this recipe is my gift to all you amazing mother’s! It’s so good you should make a double batch!

Best Oil Free Hummus

• 1 can no salt added Cannellini Beans, rinse and drained
  • 1 can no salt garbanzo beans, drained but reserve the liquid – I didn’t rinse the beans
  • 1 teaspoon  ground coriander
  • 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cumin – I used 1 teaspoon but I really like the flavor of cumin start with 1/2 teaspoon and adjust to your personal preference
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
  • 2-3 tablesppons fresh lemon juice – start with 2 and add more to your personal preference – I like 3
  • 6 tablespoons aquafaba – measure from the reserved liquid from the garbanzo beans – adjust to your personal preference. Add more if you like it creamier and thinner – add less if you want it to be thicker.

Place all ingredients in a high powered blender or a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy! Store covered in the fridge. Serve with raw veggies for dipping.

A Nutmeg Notebook Recipe

Nutmeg Nugget

I want to wish all of you a very Happy Mother’s Day! We will be celebrating with our family and it’s a pretty special day here this year. You see our daughter is expecting twins in the fall! Twins do run in my family – my mother had twins. We are excited about this life changing event. Her and her husband will have three under the age of three! It’s going to be busy around their house. Tom and I are excited and grateful that we are going to be very involved in helping with the babies. We have been helping run their household for the past 3 months as our daughter has been very sick with nause 24/7. It’s just starting to ease up a bit and we are hopeful that it will be ending soon. It has been very scary to say the least to see her so sick. We pray that her and the babies continue to do well and we are so grateful for this miracle of life that is coming in duplicate this time!

Blessings,

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1. Edith says:

Wow, this is different and I can’t wait to try it! Thank you, Tami ☺️

It is so goo Edith!

2. Juli says:

thank you!
    good luck with the birth of those babies!
    Juli

Thank you – we are so excited about the twins!

3. Sheryl Flocchini says:

Looks great Tami! We’re up north helping with grandkids but we have our own place and kitchen – I’m going to make this today so I have extra great stuff around! Thank you!

Awesome Sheryl – enjoy!

4. Claudia says:

Thank you, Tami!!
    Happy Mother’s Day 🙂

Thank you so much Claudia and Happy Mother’s Day to you too!

5. MaryEllen says:

Congratulations!! 😀 You’re going to be such a busy Lita! (that’s what your baby granddaughter calls you, correct?) Love all your recipes, Tami!

Hi MaryEllen – yes our granddaughter calls us Lita and Lito! I am so glad you enjoy the recipes – I love sharing them!

Happy Mother’s Day!

6. Jan says:

Thanks for the hummus recipe, Tami! I added 3 oz sun-dried tomatoes and extra lemon juice and garlic powder. I used yellow mustard powder instead of black mustard seeds (couldn’t find at the store). The hummus is tasty! Thanks again for sharing your recipe!

HI Jan – those changes sound great – I like sun dried tomatoes in hummus too.

Enjoy!

7. Colleen says:

This looks delicious, Tami. Adding cannellinis makes sense – I think they’re so creamy on their own. I will try this! Have a wonderful Mother’s Day on Sunday. So glad Katy is feeling even a little bit better – hope this keeps improving!

I hope you like it Colleen – I ate it all already! It is so good. Happy Mother’s Day to you!

1. Colleen says:

I’m making this today to take to my family’s Mother’s Day party. I’ll be using brown mustard seeds, since I have them at home. Also bringing How Sweet It Is (SAD folks love this too!), and CRAM muffins. Have a wonderful day!

Colleen that is wonderful! I love all the things you are making!
          Happy Mother’s Day to you!

8. Natasha says:

Excellent hummus! So flavorful! Thanks for publishing! Oh! Happy Mother’s Day to you too!

Hi Natasha – I am so glad you liked it! Hope you had a lovely Mother’s Day! Tami

9. Ann says:

Hi Tami,

I was listening to KVMR yesterday and heard you talk about your blog and background. What a great site! I have been following the Bright Line Eating program and have lost 25 pounds. I’ve been thinking about going with an even more plant based diet and phase out animal protein. I am delighted to have access to the wonderful recipes and shopping lists.

Many thanks!

Ann

Hi Ann – I am so delighted that you listened to the radio show. That was so much fun! Welcome to the wonderful world of plants – this lifestyle is a wonderful choice with no bad side affects! It’s wonderful for your body, the planet and the animals. I am so happy you found my blog and hope you will enjoy the recipes here. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing and I am happy to answer your questions if I can.

Get Healthy one meal at a time!

10. Linda says:

Where do you find black mustard seed? Can you recommend a substitute? Thanks!

I buy them at an Indian grocery store but have also seen them at Whole Foods. You could use regular mustard seeds – the black just look pretty. Most grocery stores will have mustard seeds in the spice section. Happy Cooking!