Quinoa Banana Oat Muffins

I am long overdue in sharing this Quinoa Banana Oat Muffins recipe. I have been making these muffins for the past year and every time I post a photo of these on Instagram or my facebook page people ask for the recipe. I didn’t have a recipe to share because I was just making them up as I went and they turned out slightly different each time. Our granddaughter little Sweet Pea loves to make muffins with me. When she spends the night the first thing she says in the morning is “Lita, I need my apron – I want to cook!” So we make a batch of these muffins. She loves to help stir and taste test!

Quinoa Banana Oat Muffins
Nutmeg Notebook

Since they are not made with flour these are a dense muffin that is hearty, filling and delicious. I learned from Chef AJ how to make muffins without flour, oil or sugar that still taste delicious. Our little Sweet Pea would want those muffins but she would just pick out the chunks of fruit in them and leave the rest behind. I felt like she was waisting the muffin and not benefiting from the nutrition of the oats. So I set out to make a flour, sugar, oil free muffin that she would eat. I made many batches of muffins before I settled on this combination of ingredients. Everyone in my family enjoys these muffins including Sweet Pea!

We hope you enjoy the video. Please subscribe to my Nutmeg Notebook You Tube Channel so you will always see the newest video.

Quinoa Banana Oat Muffins
Nutmeg Notebook

These muffins are moist without being mushy.  The oats do break down somewhat when combined with the wet ingredients. and they make you think there is flour present. The baking powder helps them rise just a little and improves the texture. The spices add a pleasant sweetness. They are good warm or cold with a big mug of hot herbal tea.

Quinoa Banana Oat Muffins
Nutmeg Notebook

These muffins freeze well. We take them with us when we travel, go hiking, bike riding, day trips and so on.  When our daughter was in the hospital recently after giving birth to twins I took some of these muffins to her everyday. They are super filling and nutritious.

A few basic ingredients.
Nutmeg Notebook

This brand of vanilla powder is out of stock right now but I link to another brand down below.

Regular Rolled Oats
Nutmeg Notebook

This is the brand of organic rolled oats that we buy at Winco Foods. Hubby Tom eats oats for breakfast everyday so between his use and the things I make with oats we go through a lot of oats each month. He divides the oats up into gallon size bags in our Food Saver and then freezes the bags for future use.

Dry uncooked quinoa powder
Nutmeg Notebook

It is important to purchase pre-washed quinoa for this recipe so it can be made into a powder to add to the muffin mixture. Quinoa is a seed not a grain and is a high quality source of plant protein and fiber. I wanted to make the muffins more nutritious for our granddaughter “Sweet Pea” so I include the quinoa powder and ground flax meal. She has no idea these muffins are good for her – she just knows they taste good!

Parchment Baking Cups
Nutmeg Notebook

I use these parchment baking cups in my nonstick muffin pans. If you have silicone muffin pans you can use those.

Sweet Pea likes to bake!
Nutmeg Notebook

Get the kids or grandkids involved in cooking in the kitchen- they really do like to help and it makes them want to try the food!

Muffin Mixes
Nutmeg Notebook

Like I showed you in the video I like to make up my own Muffin Mixes. If I have all the ingredients out it just makes sense to go ahead and measure out the ingredients into more containers to use later. I label each container and include the amounts of wet ingredients to add when I am ready to make muffins. It is such a time saver. I also keep a stash of over ripe bananas in the freezer so I can always whip up a healthy muffin or other treats.

Quinoa Banana Oat Muffins
Nutmeg Notebook

I hope you enjoy these muffins as much as my family does. If you follow Chef AJ’s Ultimate Weight Loss program these muffins are compliant on her program. I will be working on some muffin variations in the future.

Quinoa Banana Oat Muffins

• 20 ounces mashed over ripe banana – about 2 1/3 cups of mashed banana, frozen bananas thawed out is fine
  • 1 cup unsweetened appelsauce
  • 1/2 cup prewashed quinoa -dry – uncooked ground into a powder – see video
  • 2 cups Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats
  • 2 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Oats
  • 1/4 cup ground golden flaxseed meal
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg – freshly ground is best – see video
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl mash the bananas using a potato masher or a large fork. Mix in the applesauce. Add the cinnamon, baking powder, cardamom, nutmeg and vanilla powder or vanilla extract. Stir until well incorporated. Add the quinoa powder, quick cooking steel cut oats, old fashioned oats and ground flaxseed meal. Stir until well combined.

If using metal muffin tins use baking cup liners to prevent sticking or use silicone muffin pans. Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 30-35 minutes – depending on your oven. They take 30 minutes in my Breville Smart Oven Air on the bake function.

Let cool completely. May be frozen for future use.

Yield: 12 muffins

Note: To make these Gluten Free be sure to buy gluten free oats.

A Nutmeg Notebook Recipe

When you purchase items through my affiliate links you help support the work here on Nutmeg Notebook without any additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

1. Nadege says:

OMG!!!! Beautiful video!

Thank you so much!

2. Lyn E. says:

These sound delicious. Must give them a try. (Love your haircut, by the way).

Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy the muffins as much as we do!

3. Paul says:

They look great, Thank you!

4. Caroline says:

The video was great. Thanks for posting it and all the links. When can we expect the video on your pancake recipe? It would be great to have a healthy recipe for this treat and your recipes are alway delicious and easy!

I hope to get the pancakes recipe up soon!

5. Joanne says:

Do you store the “premixed” ingredient containers in the freezer, refrigerator or at room temperature? They look delicious!

I just store them in my pantry but you could freeze them or store in the fridge no problem.

6. Lfwfv says:

Looks like a great one to try for my kiddos. I’m confused though….quinoa that’s ground up is flour. I can’t understand how these are flour-free….whether you grind it up or the store does, ground up grain is flour. ???

I hope this answer helps – Quinoa isn’t a grain it is a seed. “The quinoa seed is a pseudocereal, as opposed to a grain. … High in protein, nutrients, and vitamins, pseudocereals are most commonly gluten free and considered whole grains, despite not being a true grain. Other common pseudocereals are amaranth and buckwheat.Feb 21, 2017
      Is Quinoa a Grain? – Bob’s Red Mill Blog”

Quinoa (pronounced “keenwah”) is a seed that is harvested from a species of a plant called goosefoot. It is officially a seed and part of a group of pseudocereals, making it neither a cereal nor a grain, and more closely related to spinach and beets than to cereals or grains.Dec 8, 2012

7. lfwfv says:

Yes, but the body will still process it as a flour…I have heard Chef AJ say Chickpea flour is still flour and she doesn’t recommend it. Not trying to be annoying, just realistic about it for people that might truly be sensitive to the “addictive” power of any flours (and the sharper spike in blood sugar they cause). I know Chef AJ doesn’t recommend buckwheat, or bean, or millet pasta either, and those are also all either pseudograins or legumes….? I would be more inclined to say these muffins are definitely nutritious, but not actually in line with Chef AJ’s “no flour” policy.

8. Lfwfv says:

Yes, it seems there is a spectrum of food addicts. I am not in UWL but have eaten an MWL style McDougall diet for 10 years. I’ve watched almost all of Chef AJs videos, eat low fat, whole plant foods and sos free for several years now. I definitely agree everybody chooses flour/no flour for themselves. I actually find a lot of the recipes on the UWL book odd because I would not consider several of them low calorie density. I know JP has similar thoughts. No problem with saying some people can have ground grains, but the “no chickpea flour” but some “millet flour” seems confusing…John McDougal has talked about all ground grains spiking insulin more and being good for weight gain. In fact, at one point, I wanted to gain weight and he and Esselstyn both responded to my questions and recommended whole grain flour products. Anyway, not looking to be a pain. Just confused about this aspect of UWL. Again though, I agree it doesn’t matter in a way…one person can choose to use it, another cannot. I have a lot of plant based nutrition knowledge from years of researching and figuring out plant based living for my family and kids. I can make an educated choice for myself…I wonder more about people who think they are eating “perfectly” and are doing everything possible to master food addiction and lose weight, and meanwhile, they are eating ground grain products that are calorically dense because they have been assured it is UWL compliant….might be, but it’s not calorically dilute, and it might trigger overeating. I know my husband is working at losing weight and if he eats and ground grains (or even two ingredient banana oat cookies) that are more calorically dense, he gains or stays overweight. The recipe looks perfect for my kids who can use lots of calorically dense, delicious, whole food calories though!

I am a member of the UWL group and in Chef AJ’s Mastery program as a mentor and I am just following her guidelines. So for those of us who are in her program and following her guidelines these muffins are considered compliant. What you do on the McDougall program or what you or your husband need to do is an individual thing. If you were a member of the UWL group Chef AJ would tell you that if you can eat these muffins and not overeat on them and they don’t cause you to have cravings then enjoy them. If not then don’t make them.

9. lfwfv says:

Here is the link to the McDougall newsletter i was thinking of:

Of course, you could always argue because he says “whole grain” and quinoa is a “pseudo-grain”, that his principle wouldn’t apply to the quinoa flour…but I think it is likely that the body processes whole wheat, or buckwheat, or oat, or corn, or quinoa flour in a similar way. And, one could always ask Dr. McDougall’s opinion.

Anyway, thank you for all you do. I only brought this up because I found this bit of Chef AJ’s plan to be confusing and potentially misleading for somebody who trusts her advice. Calorie density is a very very valuable tool for weight control…but muffins that are made with ground up grain/pseudo-grain are not calorie-dilute and are not tools for “ultimate” weight loss. I think that “UWL-tag compliant” is a bit misleading. Maybe weight maintenance…maybe good health…but maybe not “ultimate” weight loss and avoidance of food addiction (if indeed flours are addictive…)