Homemade Flax & Sesame Seed Crackers

I would never have thought to make my own crackers but when I saw this recipe it looked to easy to pass up. I like easy. The combination of ground flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds makes for a delicious nutty flavor. They really are crisp and cracker like but without any unhealthy transfats or preservatives. You get a dose of healthy fats in each cracker – finally a cracker  you can feel good about eating.

Flaxseed Crackers

They turned out even better than I could have wished for. Hubby Tom and I have been enjoying these with soups and salads. Great tasting all on their own but a little hummus spread on them is pretty tasty too. You have to try making these crackers – it’s so easy!

Flax & Sesame Seed Crackers

Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper or a Silpat nonstick cooking mat. Once you have the cracker dough mixed up start spreading it out thinly on the prepared pan. I used a rubber spatula and it worked well. Just keep working with the dough spreading it out and evening up the sides if you want have evenly sized crackers. This does take a little bit of time to do but I thought it was fun.

Flax & Sesame Seed Crackers

Using a table knife score the crackers into 16 servings. As they bake they shrink a bit and separate.

Flax & Sesame Seed Crackers

The crackers bake for just 3o minutes then the oven is shut off and the crackers are left to finish drying out.

Flax & Sesame Seed Crackers

This seems to be a very forgiving recipe. I didn’t have the exact amount of pumpkin seeds so I subbed raw sunflower seeds for half and it worked beautifully. The combination possibilities are endless. You can sub different spices and herbs, go sweet by using cinnamon and nutmeg and maybe some pecans. My next batch will include some rosemary. The only thing I would do different the next time is to add a tiny bit of salt and make a double batch. This is going to be a fun recipe to play around with.

Flax and Sesame Crackers

•  1 cup ground flax seeds
  • 1/4 cup unhulled sesame seeds – I couldn’t find unhulled so I just used hulled sesame seeds
  • 2 Tablespoons each: coarsely chopped pumpkin seeds and raw sunflower seeds for a total of 1/4 cup
  • 3/4 cup water, or more if needed
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • Optional – a pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl until a dough forms, adding more water if needed.

Spread evenly on a parchment lined baking sheet using a rubber spatula.Even up the sides so you can cut evenly shaped crackers. Using a table knife score into 16 squares. As they bake they shrink a bit a pull apart. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned. shut the oven off and leave the crackers in the oven with the door shut for an hour. Remove, let cool and enjoy! Store in a sealed container.

Yield: 16 Crackers

Serving Size: 1 Cracker

*Estimated Nutritional Information

Per Serving: Calories 54.7, Fat 4.2g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 3.1mg, Carbohydrates 2.9g, Fiber 2.5g, Protein 2.5g  WWPP1

Recipe Adapted from Dr Fuhrman.

Someone on another website figured the nutritional information at 60 calories per cracker but with the brands I used my calculation came to 54.7 calories per cracker.

*The nutritional information and WW PP values posted on Nutmeg Notebook are my best estimates based on the brands of products I use and the software programs used to calculate them. If you rely heavily on the nutritional information and WWPP values I encourage you to double check the values given, using the brands of products you use. If you find big differences feel free to email me or leave me a comment letting me know.

This post is being written in the car as we drive through a snow storm in South Dakota on our way to visit relatives in Minnesota! It’s quite strange for us Californians to be driving in snow and dealing with freezing temperatures. Who would have thought we would be experiencing such severe winter conditions in May?

Minnesota

The snow is pretty but I could do without this kind of pretty.

Happy May!

I’m glad you are here. Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.

Have you ever made crackers?

1 ping

1. Beverly says:

Tami, as you know, I live in South Dakota! We got about 3 inches on Wednesday morning and by the afternoon, it was melted and I took a walk that evening! :D I hope our snow is done for the year. I love winter, but not in May! Have a great time in Minnesota ….hopefully the weather cooperates with you there. Depending on where you go, you might see quite a bit of destruction of trees. We had an ice storm a few weeks ago and there was a lot of damage.

Hi Beverly! What a beautiful state you live in. I can’t believe how much snow there is in May. Today we have had some rain but its not so cold and we got to go for a short hike. It felt good to be out of the car and moving again.

I forwarded this to my husband and he made them today. Yummy! It is going to be a big help to have you blogging about his plan:)

Good to know you like the crackers Karen. I look forward to trying different seed and nut combinations with herbs! I tried the brownie recipe your hubby made and we liked them.

Love the recipe but I think I am too lazy to make – just send them my way! ;)

Be safe – such weird weather!!!!!

The crackers are so worth the effort Jody! Very strange weather indeed. :)

The crackers sound great! I have been wanting to make crackers like these for a while, and I just pinned them to my “food to make” board.

I hope you are having a great trip!

I hope you try making the crackers Andrea – they were easy and oh so good!

5. Renee@Mykitchenadventures says:

I’m sure all those ppl dealing with the May snow are feeling the same as you. For a change, we got the pleasure of being inside the warm bubble of that weather system and had some of the most spectacular weather we have seen this season so far!

I’ve never made crackers either, but those look so nutty and delicious! I’ll have to give them a try! I think I already have everything to make them in the house!

So glad you had some warm weather Renee! I think we are skipping Spring this year and diving right into summer! Let me know if you give the crackers a try.

Happy Cooking. :)

6. zooie says:

have you tried freezing these crackers? do they maintain their crispness? how do you store them? thank you Tami!

I have not tried freezing the crackers. I keep them in a sealed container in the fridge and they stay pretty crisp!

7. Marc says:

I tried this recipe and it turned out really well. I accidently purchased whole flax seeds instead of ground flax seed and it still turned out well! I will say that I only had a little bit of parchment paper left and only had enough for one batch. I made my second batch with a pan covered with aluminum foil instead and the crackers stuck to it very badly. So use parchment paper like the recipe suggests.

Hi Marc thanks for coming back and letting me know the recipe worked for you! Bummer about the aluminum foil and the sticking but at least you know this for the next time. Parchment paper works like magic! Happy Cooking!

8. Bets says:

Just found your cracker recipe and will be making it this afternoon. I look forward to eating them.
    As for parchment paper – I love love love it. I no longer butter pans anymore -if at all possible. And such an easy cleanup…..

I love these crackers! I need to bake a double batch. Happy cooking!

1. 2013 Healthy Meal Plan: Week 22 « Half Size Me says:

[...] Flax and Sesame Seed Crackers (1PP per serving from Nutmeg Notebook) [...]